Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yugo M77 Rework

Feedback Score

Default DONE - Yugo M77 Rework

UPDATE /pics

Not really a build but., I purchased a Yugo M77 recently.
    It is an export model modified for USA import.., Yugo DMR chambered in .308.
    http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/milita...t-rifle-m77-b1

They are pretty well priced>>>>
    $560 w/free shipping

Comes with two 10 round mags, polymer thumbhole stock and slant cut receiver. The muzzle nut is tack welded in place but the barrel is threaded 14mmx1 underneath.

I removed the spot weld at the muzzle nut and removed the FSB front pin to add the plunger and spring.

I used an old receiver stub piece to make a cover plate for the slant cut rear. This will get welded into place later.

USA M70 furniture I had from a previous buy.

Adding a Yugo M76 scope to the rail on the rifle.

This uses a standard length 1.5mm Yugo M70 type receiver but with the mag well, center support and trigger guard set back a bit to accommodate the longer .308 cartridge. The bolt is pretty standard to M70 but beefier locking lugs.
    Gas system is adjustable valve type and same tube & piston as the M76.

The shorter receiver was a little surprise., unlike the M76 which has the longer milled receiver .

I shot it only about 30 rounds for function, general zero and straight sights etc. All good.

I was contemplating building a M76 kit I have in .308 but tis was much easier and for $802 shipped I just threw down the money. I have a small supply of maybe 400 rounds of .308 but this will not be a cheap shooter.. But I wanted one for some time.

I believe that M14 mags can be modified to fit the rifle for 20 round capacity.

Front end with nut removed, weld cleaned up and plunger added>

Pic of slant cut receiver and receiver stub piece before final fit>

Receiver piece in place and next step is welding>

Mocked up with furniture and scope etc>

Mostly finished., just need to decide what optic to use and looking for a cleaning rod retainer ring for the barrel. Modified a 20 round M14 ma for fit.

Last edited by akblue; 11-18-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

COOL! ,What does the selector side look like? Does it look ground on like the PAP pistols?
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pupwag View Post
    COOL! ,What does the selector side look like? Does it look ground on like the PAP pistols?
    Ground on? No grind marks unless you are referring to the BHO notch in the selector lever? Easily swapped out for a standard Yugo fixed stock lever. Dunno other than that.
    they are pretty nice. The optics rail is a bit rear set so dunno on eye relief yet., no range time on the optic yet.., it is a M76 cammed for 8mm. ZRAK makes cams for 54r, x39 and .308 but pretty much unobtainium.

Feedback Score

Nice AKBlue!! Looks a whole lot better without the thumbhole stock.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pics of some of the early pistols it appeared they sanded out the U R J selector markings and refinished.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pupwag View Post
    Pics of some of the early pistols it appeared they sanded out the U R J selector markings and refinished.
    Oh., I see. No grinding but unfortunately these have the more typical export (Think Mitchell Arms) type receive scrawl. SAFE & FIRE and model O-PAP M77 ZASTAVA and CENTURY ARMS etc. But so it is.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

This uses a standard length 1.5mm Yugo M70 type receiver but with the mag well, center support and trigger guard set back a bit to accommodate the longer .308 cartridge. The bolt is pretty standard to M70 but beefier locking lugs.
    is the FCG in hte standard location or is it move back also ? it looks like you have the same finger clearance as a standard AK . if the trigger guard has been moved back but not the trigger then you would have less clearance like a galil 308 . if the recvier is akm length how did they keep the finger clerance ? if the trigger is move back then how is it differant? is the bolt the same length as a akm ? some thing besides the guard an center support has to also be differant ?

can you post pics of the bolt ? I thought the bolt heads were the same as a standard ak aside from the bigger face . seems all the pictured inthe 308 conversion thread showed them that way? also I thought a m77 had the longer reciver as well????

please post some bolt pics next to a standard bolt if you can .

Feedback Score

Receiver is standard AKM/Yugo length. FCG is in standard position. The barrel protrusion into the action/trunnion and the bullet guide are truncated to add the extra room

.308 bolt (left side) is longer and size can be seen in the pic in bolt head difference (Yugo AK M70 on right)>

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

so in other words the mag well is moved forward an the barrel is moved forward ? the trigger guard is really in the same normal spot ?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

it looks to me like the bolt head is just about a 1/4" longer , the LH lugh looks about the same corrrect? the Rh lug is bigger due to the bolt head being longer for the barrel being moved forward .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

century yugo m77
ma206 m77
ma206 magazines

yugo m77 308 you tube

yugo m77 not being made anymore

yugo m77 stocks

yugo m77 trigger

yugo m77 wood stocks

yugo opap cleaning rod fitment
zastava m77 build up
zastava m77 dmr
zastava m77 magazine mod
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.