Thread: building my own rivet jig

Feedback Score

Question building my own rivet jig

Hello all,
    I'm kinda new to this whole AK building and I want to build my own rivet jig.I will be using the plinker style jig as my guide.
    I'm wondering how to get the long rivets to form. I have been told just a 1/4 ball end mill but do I need to step up to 1/4 or will it form with just the 1/4 ball, and depth of the ball in my shoulder bolts to starting the forming?Is there a certain depth I should start at so I don't just fold the rivet over? any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Shawn
    Last edited by XxxSOxxX; 03-16-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Measure a rivet head from the top of the dome to the base, or start the hole with the ball mill and keep checking the fit of a rivet head in it.

Most people say to have 1 1/2 times the shank diameter sticking out, I've only used AK Builder rivets and they worked fine without trimming.

Hope that helps

And welcome to the forum
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I use both sides of the bolt the one side has a hole just slightly wider than the rivet to start it, then the other side rounds it over, just make sure the hole is not so deep that it bottoms out on the reciever
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

thanks for the reply's , I made a few out of 5/16 shoulder bolts today couldn't find a 1/4 in our ball end mill drawer had a 5/16 I think it was, fit the ak builder rivet head ok. hoping I can finish it up by the end of the week. just need to heat treat and start squishing

Feedback Score

just about finished
    I found a 1/4 end mill that had the tips ground, matches up to the center support rivet going to see what I can get out of it (far right shoulder bolt).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

love to see your pics... to compare to mine . I asked much the same ? and these guys came through . i think mine came out ok but love to be able to see yours.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 54sks762 View Post
    love to see your pics... to compare to mine . I asked much the same ? and these guys came through . i think mine came out ok but love to be able to see yours.
    Yeah, I don't see any pics either, but it says there are "attached thumbnails".
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Boy it's been awhile, but as I recall we used two different sized ball end mills for making the divot that the rivet head sits in. IIRC We were using 1/4" for the metric swell neck rivets and either 7/32" or 9/32" for the US made (5/32"?) rivets. Otherwise you got a big smilie in the rivet head. Can somebody with a better memory remember the details?

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.