Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how hard..74(5.45) parts kit to akm (7.62) build

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I think I like the idea about the 5.56 but barrel and mags seem to be the issue with this route.
    What issues is there with a 223 mags there are about 6 good choices . there are polish , bulgys, tapcos , weigers, galili etc all will work fine . You might need to widen the trunion a but but it can be done with as die grinder an a stone ot carbide . I use tapcos mags in my weiger clone an thye work fine . I also can run bulgy as is an galial mags with a dab of weld on the lug were it engages the trunion .

you want issues start adapting ar mags that are still being developed after 45 years . Yea ar mags are a couple mags less but how many nags do you need? If your worried about costs your only going to need tow or three . hell I got guns with only one mag .

sure AR mags are about $10 but you need a $150 or more addapter an then the mods to make it fit . an for what so you can scare zombies better? I dount any one is going to be doing a in combat mag swap an If you thing your fast with a ar set Up I can show you russian an Israeli videos of some lightning fast mag swaps

a 223 barrel is pretty simple to do in a ak 75 trunion buy on with not gas port turn it to fit the 22 mm trunion an press it in buy or modify what ever barrel parts you need an make them fit . There was a guy here making them to fit as is on a AK 47 kit .

This is not a AR 15 you actualy have to do some work to build a rifle in the AK world .

what exactly do you have in your possession for parts ?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a few links for to read up on
    .223 AK-74 build progress with lotsa pictures

Feedback Score

I missed out on the 74 kit and its probably a good thing as the wife was a little upset with me for proposing another build when I haven't finished the ones I ve got. but I did score a nice new AMD barrel (65$ shipped) that I would like to use on one of the kits I have and was wondering about the problems with using it on a akm build. other than a shorter gas tube (have one)and a shorter gas piston (need one) and a lower hand guard (need one). what else is needed to use this barrel with one of the akm kits? I have other barrels to use but wanted to put new barrels on all of my builds to start with and keep the couple used ones I have for spares. thanks again guys for all the help. 1biggun you are right on your points about the ar mags and adapter. I have a couple mags for my ar that I wouldn't even use as a paperweight.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

You will need a standard length AKM lower hand guard. Not sure who is selling AMD pistons, but if you can't find one you can always cut and weld a standard size one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hee hee.... yeah if you can weld as good as 555th.... welding a piston is no problem... he's a good welder & has tons of AK experience.

but if your NOT a really good welder or have no skill in AK piston adjustment? then its a bit tougher & id' recommend buying one.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Curtis(ak-builder) sells US made AMD pistons for a decent price.

Hungarian AMD 65 Gas Piston

Cutting a standard length gas tube down is easy with a dremel/files, you just need to shave the inside or reflare the end so it fits properly on the gas block again.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

54, I think I have an original amd 65 piston that I'll send to you free, it wont count toward 922 parts, but it wont cost you anything. Let me know.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Is the amd barrel a original one or a us made one ? it needs to be 16 " to be legal on a rifle .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Is the amd barrel a original one or a us made one ? it needs to be 16 " to be legal on a rifle .
    Other than this its as straight forward as any other ak build.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

I was up in VT getting a cast off and couldn't get back to you guys and I wanted to have the barrel in hand . it has 4 groove rifling and the letter G stamped on it just behind where the front site gets pinned and the gas port is not drilled but the lower handguard retainer slots are there and it has threads. its over all length is 14 7/16 in . I planed on welding on a muzzle device to bring it up to 16 (any ideas?) or try a krink type gas block front sight combo,(if I can find on) with a fake can. I could use the gas piston if you still have it mtdew and some advice on drilling the gas port. I have an AMD gas tube all ready and a spare galill type handguard. I will probably have to lay everything out for the kits I have and see what I need one more time and will most likely have to put in an order to Curtis one way or the other(gotta order at least one more trigger group for 922). I have one more problem being in ny I will have to build them and then stick a saiga stock on them so I don't have to register them (among other BS) so does anybody have a source of takeoffs just need the buttstocks (4). I hate having to do it but will save the correct stocks for when I leave ny ( cant wait). thinking of moving to VT or NH if I can find something . any members out there in those two states??? anyway thanks again for all the info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.