Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how hard..74(5.45) parts kit to akm (7.62) build

Feedback Score

Default how hard..74(5.45) parts kit to akm (7.62) build

I was wondering about the viability of converting a bulgy 5.45 kit to a 7.62.( no barrel with the 5.45 and I guess no ammo for it ? ) I have a spare barrel and bolt was wondering what else is needed ....carrier or???

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

the bullet guide is different, barrel, bolt, not sure about the rest of the trunnion.I have only used 74 trunnions for 223 conv
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I've done it twice, once with a fixed stock Bulgarian kit and then a side folder. You'll need a 7.62 bolt and carrier. The trunnion needs to be opened for the 23mm barrel, opened where the mag inserts and bullet guide changed or trimmed. On the trunnion, you're basically just removing metal. I did both of them myself with hand tools.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

What 555th said .,

you can also turn the barrel down to fit the 22 MM trunion .
    you will need a large stem carrier to fit that x39 bolt.

I have not personally done it but I spent a few hours looking over the parts to possibly do it .

there is still 5.45 ammo for sale just not the cheap crap

Feedback Score

A short lug 7.62 bolt in the long lug 5.45 trunnion can create setback issues depending on the barrel chosen. And the AK74 90 degree gas block vs an AKM 45 degree gas block set back differences. If the barrel has an undrilled gas port it is good to go in this regard.
    Easiest route is sell the 5.45 kit and get a 7.62 kit if you can find an affordable one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A short lug 7.62 bolt in the long lug 5.45 trunnion can create setback issues depending on the barrel chosen. And the AK74 90 degree gas block vs an AKM 45 degree gas block set back differences. If the barrel has an undrilled gas port it is good to go in this regard.
    Easiest route is sell the 5.45 kit and get a 7.62 kit if you can find an affordable one.
    That or just profile yourself or have a barrel made to fit your build .

I was unaware the lug position was different on a ak 74 trunion . I thought the bolt was the only difference an the ak 74 barrel was just moved forward to compensate for the difference. . ??

I am sitting here holding a romy akm 7.62x39 an bulgarian ak74 am I don't see any real difference in the lug position. either from the font of the trunion or the rear .

It looks to me like any 23mm barrel turned down to 22MM would work just fine. with a large stem akm bolt . WHAT AM I MISSING ?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    That or just profile yourself or have a barrel made to fit your build .

I was unaware the lug position was different on a ak 74 trunion . I thought the bolt was the only difference an the ak 74 barrel was just moved forward to compensate for the difference. . ??

I am sitting here holding a romy akm 7.62x39 an bulgarian ak74 am I don't see any real difference in the lug position. either from the font of the trunion or the rear .

It looks to me like any 23mm barrel turned down to 22MM would work just fine. with a large stem akm bolt . WHAT AM I MISSING ?
    You are correct o the lug distance. However unless a long lug 7.62 bolt is used., the bullet guide on a long lug trunnion is different in the turning or camming ramp which sits further forward on an AK74. A new or modified bullet guide is required. The underside if the AK74 trunnion needs relieved/milled to accept standard 7.62 mags.
    All things which can be overcome but depends on the OP's barrel, skills and tools etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the bullet guide on a long lug trunnion is different in the turning or camming ramp which sits further forward on an AK74. A new or modified bullet guide is required. The underside if the AK74 trunnion needs relieved/milled to accept standard 7.62 mags.
    All things which can be overcome but depends on the OP's barrel, skills and tools etc

Yeap thats what I saw/noted also . I also noted the ramp on the bullet guide needs to be moved forward it can be done on a grinder. I did it on a large stem bolt 223 conversion I have not done a 7.62x39 on a 74 trunnion but the large stem 223 bolt is the same as a akm bolt aside from bolt face size . the mag area can be done with a grinder also . keep the heat down .

BY the time you buy the correct bolt an carrier an then modify a barrel to fit a 22 mm trunnion you are going to be better off getting a x39 kit . I see them on GB for around $350 I have one on there at .$375 with a barrel , mag , bent blank with no bids right now . ( need to pay taxes )

a 223 converison on a AK 74 kits makes a littel more sense as you can keep the bolt an carrier .

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post

a 223 converison on a AK 74 kits makes a littel more sense as you can keep the bolt an carrier .
    +1., AK74 to 5.56 is easier and less part dependent., UNLESS you outsmart yourself., like I did on this conversion using a short lug 5.56 bolt., Doh!

5.56 on AK74 kit build

Feedback Score

I have a spare bolt and carrier in 7.62....but I think I like the idea about the 5.56 but barrel and mags seem to be the issue with this route. and if the bolt an carrier can be used from the 74 kit and it sounds like you guys have the bullet guide sorted out that may be the route I go if I can get the kit cheap enough. be better if it took ar mags to. thanks guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.