Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: LOOKING FOR BARREL PIN TO CHAMBER CLEARANCE PICTURE

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

54sks I was tired when I posted the last reply, if I didn't explain it well or answer it right, just ask again
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

but with a "standard" barrel pin hole in the trunnion and no hole in the virgin barrel should i mic the hole in the trunnion and get an appropriately sized end mill?
    The trunnion hole is 7mm unless its been modified. I use a 7mm end mill initaly to flatten out eh barrel so a drill bit will not walk . I then swithc to a drill bit .

mill/ drill in from both sides is what I do .

there are ready made over size pins for setting head space on used barrels etc .

Feedback Score

coils that sounds correct and if im not mistaken the standard pin is .302 and the over size is .315. I will have to look again im not 100% I think I saw that on Curtis s site when I was looking to place an order. the drill press scenario is what im gonna end up doing maybe harbor freight has an x and y axis vise to fit a drill press table. thanks again I get a hold of you if I run into any problems.

Feedback Score

if you could 1biggun explain why I should drill from both sides . to ensure proper placement, concentricity, more accurate? thanks.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

HF does have a cross slide vise or X, Y vise. If you have a bench top drill press it might be kind of big for it, well unless they added more since a couple years ago.
    6" Cross Slide Vise
    5" Rugged Cast Iron Drill Press Milling Vise

Also check ebay
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

yeah I will look this week as im going to town and love going to china for cheap tools. cant resist a free coupon.i know somebody had a set of plans for modifiying the 120 spot welder and showed the lower tong modification but cant remember where it is. mine came assembled wrong and have corrected that but need to check out the post on the mods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

if you could 1biggun explain why I should drill from both sides . to ensure proper placement, concentricity, more accurate? thanks.
    because if the drill bit walk when it hits the round barrel does not come out the opposite hole correctly your Fu*&ed

Feedback Score

Several ways to proceed.
    7mm = .2756".
    I use a 1/4 inch end mill or drill bit 17/64 (.2656") drill bit first., if you have a machinist supply store with that size.. Then a 7mm reamer. If the barrel is virgin there is no need for an oversized pin.

Feedback Score

thanks guys I hate to sound like a know not but it took me a while to collect all these parts(one of the worst times in history to get into building AKs) I bought a 5mm and 7mm reamer for the trigger pins so I will use that and the 1/4 pilot hole or something close(I have a real good selection of bits and a drill dr). I should be all ready to build soon ... I wanted to make all the tools and am finally looking at the only thing I didn't want to fab a harbor freight spot welder that im gonna modify with the plans in the library. I went through all the bits and sizes needed a year ago when I had 24 /7 lathe and mill access but things have changed and have to modify my plan of attack. ill keep you guys posted and try and take pics when I start. I should have started when I got my first kit but this is addicting ... gotta have one for everybody in the family .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.