Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Welding Rails on Heat Treated Receiver

Feedback Score

Default Welding Rails on Heat Treated Receiver

Wanted to get some opinions, but how do you think TIG welding heat treated rails into a heat treated shell will affect the overall heat treat? I know that the heat treat will be lost at the weld itself, but am not sure how much heat will transfer to the rest of the receiver. Thoughts?
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I assume you plan to plug weld them in? I can't see that generating enough heat to effect anywhere crucial to be a problem. That said, I'd probably still make it a point to avoid the ejector and hammer pin hole areas as much as possible.

Feedback Score

I plan to plug weld them with 4130 filler rod. I agree with you about the ejector and pin holes. I was considering clamping some bar stock around the weld area to act as a heat sink, but that might be overkill. Thanks 7.62x39.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

With a TIG you should be fine, now if it was a arc or flux core wire feed style welder I think you could cause problems since these usually heat up a larger area.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

If you were real worried about it, you could always use some heat stop paste. The stuff works pretty good, I've used it before when welding replacement bolts on a couple of Mausers and when perm attaching a MD.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well since there have been thousands of AK receivers built with no heat treating I doubt plug welding a few holes will really affect much as the receiver really doesn't need to be heat treated to begin with.

I just MIG weld in my rails .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

When I'd tig on a hardened material I used a copper or brass heat sink, copper if you're going all the way though. Like if you had used a spot weld cutter to remove an old weld and have a hole. I've done a ton of Mauser bolts with a copper rod inserted into the bolt sleeve and I never had any issues and I just quench the rod/bar if it starts to get hot. And I always quenched the bolt in oil after when I've done those. I've never had issues doing small spots that way and haven't had a single bolt handle failure after the tons I've done.

Longer Runs or re-welding a saw cut receiver or something like that ,,then re-heat treat is a must. But shit ,,with a back up bar heat sink the heat won't go far and the side rail will almost act as a heat sink somewhat too.

A mount isn't under all that much stress any ways. and I doubt the heat will transfer enough to weaken the receiver. You should be fine. Best part all you may need to do is,, a dab of satin paint on the welds inside and out,,, and they'll all be hidden behind the scope mount or inside anyway.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Does a spot welder work on the heat treated receivers?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Does a spot welder work on the heat treated receivers?
    Yep. I've had zero problems doing it.
    Tommo likes this.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you very much for the reply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak receiver heat treat

flux core spot welding ak rails

flux welding ak rails

heat sink rails

mig welding ak rails

tig filler rod for ak receivers

welding ak rail

when to spot heat treating receiver

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.