Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dutigaf

Thread: sdk1968's $2 long rivet jig

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default sdk1968's $2 long rivet jig

this is for the people who dont want to drag out their press to use hydraulic style jigs....

in talking to my good buddy Pryotex, we were discussing making a small compact rivet squeezer to use on both AK's and PSL's... after we kicked some stuff around & had a couple ideas here's what it ended up being..

Materials

some scrap 3" channel
    1 grade 8 3/8x1.25" bolt fine thread
    1 grade 8 3/8 fine thread nut
    1 10x32 button head screw

heres how you do it.

take the scrap c channel and cut 2 pcs off of it... mine are 2" long x 3" wide..

pic #1 here.

weld them together on top of each other and find your center... then drill your pilot hole thru both sides to make sure everything lines up.... (my pilot hole was the same size as the #10 screw for the bottom pivot point.)

next drill out your top hole to the 3/8" size. center your bolt/nut combo in the hole and tighten them down so they dont move...

pic#2 here!

then make ugly welds around the nut like i did..

pic #3 here.

only thing else to do was to take a ball nose bit for the rotozip or endmill and make your nice round bowl in the end of the bolt and the head of the #10 screw... this will let you get round rivets instead of flat.

now check your alignment.. here it is on the rear trunny of a PSL in both the rear and forward rivet locations.

pix #4 & 5 here!

this actually worked way better than i thought it would and the tensile strength on the grade 8 bolt/nut set up is way way overkill for these rivets.

this one is ugly/cheap but it proved the idea and execution was solid. so now i'll make another one out of some good non rusted flat steel and then probably Karma this one out.

the only thing i found not to my liking was for the PSL FRONT LONG RIVET.... the 3" channel is a bit too tight for that and i'll make my next one out of 4" channel or a 4" piece of plate.

thanks for looking!

this is originally hosted/posted at WG... so the pix didnt insert into place here the same size.... they are also at the bottom & still in order to where they go.

s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommo likes this.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thank you for this!
    (checking my scrap pile for 3" channel...)

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Looks like a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

It is nice to see build related items posted.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

thanks guys...

as a side note for those who want to do this: i did make the next sets of these out of bigger channel so that when the entire receiver is in there you had more pivot room.

but this 3" works just fine with a slight bit of finagling. :-)

but as stated: ive let people borrow 2- 3"ers of this & the bigger one as well................. needless to say, i got none of them back. :-(

but thats the "giving" part of the hobby. i'll make another one when its needed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

pm sent
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Cool deal. Thanks for sharing. I have a great set-up at work with a bench mounted pneumatic rivet squeezer, that works perfect. It took me awhile to get the individual steps correct but I finally got it dialed in. It makes some beautiful round heads. However, I don't have anything good to do them at home with. I think I may do one of these for the house.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

let me clarify that last post....

will make another one when i need it for a build & then put it out for people to use afterwards ....until someone steals it again.

but i dont make these up & sell them or stock them in the loaner programs..

sorry guys! i made this public so everyone could see just how easy it is & give it the DIY approach.

Feedback Score

SDK, That is proof where there is a will there is a way. Very creative design, thanks for sharing it with us.
    CaptMax
    "You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.