Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Final Mock UP Stage Milled PSL

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That is coming along beautifully Akblue. Great job! Yeah I'd go with the M76 grip. I think it would really accentuate the lines. I can't wait to hear a range report.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    "Mocking up/fitting PSL mag for fit & feed was a real PITA."- I hear ya buddy! Remember my 8mm mauser PSL? Also a pain getting the mag situated correctly.
    Yours is looking good. The milled rec should provide a fairly stable platform for optics mounting. Cant wait to see how she shoots. Hurry up!
    I do recall your build. You had to mod the M76 8mm bolt as it was too long for barrel setback etc. The PSL bolt was fine in the M76 receiver and headspace in existing barrel channel is looking real good. A bit of luck.

The upward run (vertical narrowing) on the M76 receiver in front vs the stamped basically same plane of the PSL creates some little adjustments but mostly cosmetic.

Mag fitments and/or mods for feed are or can be big issues.., as you know. I recall you used the MG13 mag. I tried the MG13 and the M76 mag and they did not like the rimmed 54r cartridge. Would feed one side or flip up etc., on that cartridge rim. That was my initial setback until I decided to take the leap and open up the inside of the receiver for a PSL mag.
    I got a modified Vepr single stack mag to feed reliably in the unmodified receiver but that was a step backwards really.

There is a fellow who profiled a barrel blank to M76 config in 54r. I might build a M76 complete build in 54r and use PSL mags now that I am fairly certain they will feed reliably and the receiver mod is doable.
    Zastava made the M76 in 54r. I wish I had a few of their mags to use as it would make life easier.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akblue View Post
    I do recall your build. You had to mod the M76 8mm bolt as it was too long for barrel setback etc. The PSL bolt was fine in the M76 receiver and headspace in existing barrel channel is looking real good. A bit of luck.

The upward run (vertical narrowing) on the M76 receiver in front vs the stamped basically same plane of the PSL creates some little adjustments but mostly cosmetic.

Mag fitments and/or mods for feed are or can be big issues.., as you know. I recall you used the MG13 mag. I tried the MG13 and the M76 mag and they did not like the rimmed 54r cartridge. Would feed one side or flip up etc., on that cartridge rim. That was my initial setback until I decided to take the leap and open up the inside of the receiver for a PSL mag.
    I got a modified Vepr single stack mag to feed reliably in the unmodified receiver but that was a step backwards really.

There is a fellow who profiled a barrel blank to M76 config in 54r. I might build a M76 complete build in 54r and use PSL mags now that I am fairly certain they will feed reliably and the receiver mod is doable.
    Zastava made the M76 in 54r. I wish I had a few of their mags to use as it would make life easier.
    I'd still love to build a clone of the M91 DMR that Zastava did.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    I'd still love to build a clone of the M91 DMR that Zastava did.
    There was talk that Century was going to import the M91. That seems to have died away. A DMR in 54r would be sweet.
    If I had the buttstock and a few mags I would give it a shot. A PSL stamped receiver and PSL mags would work and a 54r barrel profiled to M76 parts. I have several of those parts., but that is another journey.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akblue View Post
    There was talk that Century was going to import the M91. That seems to have died away. A DMR in 54r would be sweet.
    If I had the buttstock and a few mags I would give it a shot. A PSL stamped receiver and PSL mags would work and a 54r barrel profiled to M76 parts. I have several of those parts., but that is another journey.
    That's kind of what I did with my PSL kit. I used Yugo M70 fore grips, gas tube and RSB. Bulgy gas block. M76 top cover. M72 rear trunnion and M76 shoulder stock. M70 pistol grip, but I intend to change it to an M76 one of these days. It really looks cool next my M76. Looks kind of like a stamped M76, except in 54R.

Feedback Score

About 90% fully complete. Took it out for test fire and feed and function. 100% feed & function etc. Could not shoot past 50 yards on private land as adjoining farmer was active in his field that wraps around. Shot about 25 rounds. No zero, just function. I do not expect anything different than a PSL performance.
    Have to do final riveting on the trigger guard which I left screwed in place in case it needed tweaking. Mag latch needs final relieving so not so tight. Optics rail might be a bit tough. The rivet crush inside the receiver is right along the opened up areafor the mag. Might have to spot weld the rail in place. Still looking this over. Very pleased so far.

Feedback Score

Damn akblue, that's really coming together nice! Looking forward to a range report!

Feedback Score

That's pure beauty. Great job!!
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That is really looking sweet AKblue. Thanks for the updates!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That sure is purdy!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

m76 build 54r

psl milled receiver

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.