Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dutigaf

Thread: HOW THE FACTORY SETS RIVETS .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default HOW THE FACTORY SETS RIVETS .

I had long believed that some AKs had the barrel an trunion installed in the receiver as assemble an not first the trunion in the receiver an then installing the barrel .

My very first build was doen with rivets an I bucked the backs on the barrel . Guys claimed this was the wrong way to do it an you cant see if the rivet is loose or not . Well guess what! here is a video of a Polish AK marker setting rivets on the barrel. BTW my original build has about 6000 rounds on it an is still tight .

Pioneer Arms Corp

The old AGI video used to show doing them almost the dame way . but with a hammer an they split the ends to make them spread better .

I don't know if pioneer makes military rifles or how big they are but here is proof that at least one manufacture does it as I have long suspected. the trunion is pressed on the barrel an head spaced first then installed in the receiver .

they use a separate tool to press the rivets by the mag well .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

agreed especially when the first kits came in with matching bolts, they were headspaced so drill out the old rivets than set new ones using the barrel as your bucking bar. oh I have never had a loose trunnion rivet either. I take a dremel cutoff wheel and slice a slit to help the setting of the rivet
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

I'm glad to read you two(in particular) saying this, because admittedly this is how I did mine. And that sorry sight is still working 100% after what has to be over 2000 rounds now.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

as posted before, ive done them this way & didnt give 2 figs who liked it. LMAO

heres the clean link to the video:

Tommo likes this.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for posting, man would I love to have those tools especially the power press!

Feedback Score

It appears it could work well with the proper length and diameter rivets. I have demilled a few of the front trunnions done in this manner. The rivets were solid but not set as firmly or as large an inside head as a dual crush. But they seemed adequate etc.
    Some of the ORF AK74 builds used this method to the dismay of some builders/owners etc. It was never too popular AFAIK and the two sided crush was/is the most accepted method.

It is not the milspec factory method for what that is worth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wonder what fixture they use to space the barrel in the trunnion first. Next build Im doing (Now) ill rivet the trunnion in the receiver like that with the barrel in first.
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pryotex View Post
    Wonder what fixture they use to space the barrel in the trunnion first. Next build Im doing (Now) ill rivet the trunnion in the receiver like that with the barrel in first.
    That fixture he used over the barrel when doing the RSB was interesting. I would assume something similar for the barrel to trunnion press.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.