Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gas piston driven AK in .45ACP

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Pretty much anything could be built if you put enough engineering into it.

This thread almost makes me question if it would be much of a job to build up this PPh43 kit I've got kicking around into a 45 ACP carbine,,,,can't see why not? Then you got a light weight 45 carbine,,,,Hummmmm,,,,,

All this talking has me thinking some, just for shits,,,, I just might look around and see what 16' blanks are around and a trunnion for that wouldn't take shit to make ,,,Hummmmm,,,sounds quite doable.

I might break out that kit and look it over a bit and think on that one a bit more, that wouldn't be a half bad idea,,, in theory. It would take some mag tweaking But I bet they'd fit in the original mag,,have to check it out more, 45 ACP is going to be close to x25 OAL cartridge length wise.

Ya got me cyphering now!!!!
    IIRC, I tried a couple .45 ACP rounds in one of my PPSH43 mags and they appeared like they would work with minimal tweaking. .40 S&W worked great except for the last round. .45 might be the same. No big deal. Just make a dummy that's permanently attached to the follower. Not sure how many rounds it could handle, but I bet it would be close to 25.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm kinda talking out my ass right now sense I really haven't laid everything out yet to check things out more.

But in the back of my mind I can't really think of any major issues that would prohibit building the PPs43 into a 45 ACP other than maybe the mags, recoil spring and possibly the barrel trunnion. Of course, also finding a 45ACP barrel blank to use.

The 45's drop right into the 43 mag just fine but tend to nose dive when coming out, so maybe just tweaking the front of the feed lips to allow the cartridge to tip up more to feed right or worst case, a feed ramp on the replacement barrel may be required,,,don't know yet????

CUP won't be any issue sense 45 is only in the 21-23 CUP range and the x25 is all over the charts running from 31-40K+ average CUP. So the 43 will be way stronger than required and one could probibly load the 45's up to ++P load specs with no danger to the gun. I'd probably have to lighten up the recoil spring some sense it may not eject right otherwise with the decreased pressures. And OAL is 1.377 with the x25 and 1.258 with the 45, so no issue with length I wouldn't think. The feed lips will obviously need some adjusting but that shouldn't be an issue either. The ejection port should be plenty big enough also, the only thing I could possibly think of that may be an issue in the grand scheme of things, would be the trunnion walls being to thin to accommodate the OD of the 45 barrel. But with a stronger alloy steel and the lower pressures with the 45 cartridge I don't really expect any issues there either.

Can anyone else think of any pitfalls I might run into or might want to consider? Lots of you guys here got a Hell of allot more experience than I with semi's,,,I'm a bolt gun guy and semi re-builder pretty much so lots of this semi caliber conversion stuff will be all new to me when it come to changing a platforms caliber this drastically. 30 cal to 45 is a pretty big jump.

I really think a pps43 would be a petty neat conversion though, especially with a 16" barrel and a functioning folder. Something like that would make a real sweet truck/4 wheeler gun. Ya,, the x25 is a better caliber in many respects, but a 45 PPs43 would make an interesting carbine I'd think, especially sense I've already got a 43 in x25.

Any thoughts on this guys? Ya'll got me thinking out of the box right now on this conversion possibility.

Maybe I'll PM Will on this idea sense this type thing is right down his ally and something he may have run into already.

Feedback Score

I designed a AK gas system in 45acp. a few years ago. (Here's is a pic of my concept.)
    You'll have to pull the gas as close to the breech as you can or it won't have enough gas to cycle the weapon.

HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    I'm kinda talking out my ass right now sense I really haven't laid everything out yet to check things out more.

But in the back of my mind I can't really think of any major issues that would prohibit building the PPs43 into a 45 ACP other than maybe the mags, recoil spring and possibly the barrel trunnion. Of course, also finding a 45ACP barrel blank to use.

The 45's drop right into the 43 mag just fine but tend to nose dive when coming out, so maybe just tweaking the front of the feed lips to allow the cartridge to tip up more to feed right or worst case, a feed ramp on the replacement barrel may be required,,,don't know yet????

CUP won't be any issue sense 45 is only in the 21-23 CUP range and the x25 is all over the charts running from 31-40K+ average CUP. So the 43 will be way stronger than required and one could probibly load the 45's up to ++P load specs with no danger to the gun. I'd probably have to lighten up the recoil spring some sense it may not eject right otherwise with the decreased pressures. And OAL is 1.377 with the x25 and 1.258 with the 45, so no issue with length I wouldn't think. The feed lips will obviously need some adjusting but that shouldn't be an issue either. The ejection port should be plenty big enough also, the only thing I could possibly think of that may be an issue in the grand scheme of things, would be the trunnion walls being to thin to accommodate the OD of the 45 barrel. But with a stronger alloy steel and the lower pressures with the 45 cartridge I don't really expect any issues there either.

Can anyone else think of any pitfalls I might run into or might want to consider? Lots of you guys here got a Hell of allot more experience than I with semi's,,,I'm a bolt gun guy and semi re-builder pretty much so lots of this semi caliber conversion stuff will be all new to me when it come to changing a platforms caliber this drastically. 30 cal to 45 is a pretty big jump.

I really think a pps43 would be a petty neat conversion though, especially with a 16" barrel and a functioning folder. Something like that would make a real sweet truck/4 wheeler gun. Ya,, the x25 is a better caliber in many respects, but a 45 PPs43 would make an interesting carbine I'd think, especially sense I've already got a 43 in x25.

Any thoughts on this guys? Ya'll got me thinking out of the box right now on this conversion possibility.

Maybe I'll PM Will on this idea sense this type thing is right down his ally and something he may have run into already.
    Will who? Hayden?
    I built a couple 9mm guns for him a few years back.
    I still have this one.

Test video.

HART SYSTEMS
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yes Will Hayden.

There's that SWEET AK platform shortie with the HK sights that you had me drooling over a short time ago,,,That's nice!!!! I really like that one.

I'm going to start a new thread on a PPs43 conversion so I don't hijack this one though. I'd like to get advice from some of you guys on my ideas. It will be up in a minute.

Feedback Score

I'm not sure how much help he will be. I was left to my own devices on the project.
    I have a 45acp. "K" mockup I started working on, but then summer came and I switched over to work on my vintage bikes.
    I only piddle with guns in the winter. If you get in a jam on your 45acp. AK, send me a P.M. I'll help if I can.

Thanks for the compliment on my AK PDW. I really like it, but need to do a updated video of it finished. All I have is this test video.
    2ndAmendican likes this.
    HART SYSTEMS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i like the 45AK's... but as stated just didnt see a point in gas op for it...

good news is that all of us who have done lots of AK builds agree that you have to get that gas port as close as possible for the peak out of this.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.