Gunco Forums banner

9mm bullpup project pic.

6K views 66 replies 24 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 · (Edited)
:scared: :useless: :confused:

#27 ·
So you guys don't think I quit, heres the progress of my build. Heres a picture of a carrier and bolt modified. I used AK 47 carrier that I sleaved to fit AK 74 bolt. The reason for that is I want a "press" fit. Later on I will pin them together. The charging handle is cut away to make room for the ejection port. The cam on the bolt is ground off.

Here's a view of my mag well and barrel. I decided to use Sten mags after all.

Hers another pic showing the magwell, carrier and bolt.

Right now I'm working on a new receiver, magazine catch, handguard and a trigger linkage. I'll keep you updated.

#29 ·
Winn R said:
Vis--I'm in awe.
What Winn said. It is looking very nice! :)

#32 ·
Good Job. Looks very nice. Glad to see someone else building a 9mm 74 based rifle besides myself. Altho, yours looks much nicer. I did mine as an excerise in CAN DO using nothing but a hacksaw, DP, MIG and basic hand tools/patience. Would love to see an all together pic!! I had to make my trunnion from 1/8" thick plate w/holes drilled in then I MIGd the BBL to the trunnion plates.....

I gotta say tho be careful using the DP as a mill. I got REAMED over at www.homegunsmith.com for even SUGGESTING to use a DP as a mill. In my case I used a piddly 3/32" 4 flute stub mill and it didnt put any stress on the DP that I could see, but to be safe I tack welded the chuck to the quill to make sure it doesnt jump off its taper. I also use a piece of 1/8" sheet steel between me and the DP when Im cutting, I have a small hole for my hand to turn the dial on the feed.... GOOD JOB on your shooter, I wanna see moooorrrreeee pics!!!!

#33 ·
First of all, thanks for all the compliments. It means alot to me comming from a group of experienced builders like you guys!! I did some more work on my pup, but first I'd like tell you what I'm trying to accomplish. It will be a blowback weapon in 9mm using Sten magazines. All the controls will be in the front hand guard. There won't be an AK safty selector, there will be a thumb safty over the pistol grip. The charging handle will be on the left side, up front. There will be no lower rails except for the ejector, they are not needed. Of course all of the above is subject to change.
Last week I bent my reciever, I used 16 gage sheet metal because thats what I had. Handgaurd is also 16 gage steel.
I fabricated my rear trunion/buttstock out of 1/2" cold rolled steel and some 1/8" plate. I still have to come up with a recoil pad. As you can see in the pictures I'm using screws for the time being. After I work everything out I will rivet

This picture shows what the rail is for :headspin:

#34 ·
Dang !!! You did REAL GOOD !!! I can see you put some thought into it as well. I like how you have the rail attached to the gas tube. I could not do that being I wanted to use the gas tube retainer in place. Well..... come to think about it, I could of moved it forward and the rewelded it. Darn.

#38 ·
Im not sure how HE did it, but to do the trigger linkage the easiest way I have figured out is to use 1/8" steel rod as a pull-rod. You use a single hook trigger for the slave trigger at the rear. Remove the trigger bow so it stays flush to the receiver. You would drill a hole in the "hook" on the trigger to allow the pull rod to clip to. Model airplanes use cool little 90* clips for control rods that would work perfect to hold the 1/8" rod to the slave trigger. Now at the front, you put your master trigger, also w/a 1/8" hole (or you could put 3 in each trigger for adjustable pull feel/distance etc)and you run a pull-rod along the left wall of the receiver from trigger to trigger. there is plenty of room to make it work. You could also use a model airplane control rod (nyrod, flexible plastic rod in a sleeve for aileron/elevator hookups, you can put em in a pretzel shape and they still work!) if you didnt wanna use 1/8" rod....Thats how I would do it anyway :) You wanna always use a PULL rod since steel bends when you try to "compress" a push rod, but it doesnt like to stretch much :)

#40 ·
hcpookie and Cephus, Thank you guys :notworthy
vegeta, no I'm just doing this for the thrill of it, "blazing the trail"....This is basically a whole new gun including the reciever. I'm a "shade tree" gunsmith and I have no clue about blueprints. All I can provide is pictures.
jpglee1, I was thinking about triger linkage long and hard and I think I came up with the solution. It involves 1/8 square rod with few bends. Square rod is more rigid and easier to guide within the reciever. It should be complete by the weekend, I'll post more pictures.

#42 ·
Thats the beauty of have a thinner magazine. You can go with a thicker rod.
When you use a standard ak 47 mag, it takes up more space thus having to go with a thinner style one.
Being mine was a 74, it gave me more room, so I got to use a .078 thick rod.

Plus you have eliminated those four rivets for the mag catch, so it's smooth sailing for the rod you use.

That is going to turn out REAL SWEET!
I am glad I'm not the only bullpup lover around.
Good job! Goood Job!!

#43 ·
For all you bullpup guys, check this thread out too:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8514 its NOT just an RPK.. the title is misleading.

Pantera: Check out the bullpup w/the totally square (not tapered) receiver like we were discussing. I knew it would be possible, just gotta make the front trunnion area of the receiver a little bigger... Thought you guys might like this, sorry for redundancy.

#44 ·
shot36223 said:
Just wondering why you choose to retain the old AK gas tube on your gun? It's a dummy, isn't it?

Have you consider drop in the HK MP5 cocking handle assy? I think it will replace the AK Op rod and gas tube nicely in this case.
I had a gas tube with a rail left over from a past project so I used it. I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to keep it. I have a nice rail some where around here. As for the cocking handle, fabricating my own stuff is part of the fun in building my guns. Besides the wife says why spend money if you can make your own parts :scared:

#46 ·
IF they are TRUE HK style, non reciprocating oprod handle then it probably WOULDNT get that hot since it isnt attached to the actual carrier/gas piston (no contact = no heat soak)....now on the other hand if it IS attached then yah it would heat soak. Im trying to decide if I want to try a left-side or ambi handle working from the front HK style.... I might just flip the cocking handle to the left on my next build. Im thinking mirror the AK, put the safety and cocking handle on the left, then cut/weld the cover to accomodate the safety like an original one is. Using 2 covers I think I could cut/paste the appropriate metal from one side of one cover to the left of the other (hope that makes sense)....too many projects not enough $$$... Time isnt my problem, its $$$...I got lotsa time :)

#51 ·
Vis that looks very nice. Looks as if you and I have some of the same decorating ideas! :D

Question for you - that handguard/trigger assembly seems kinda LONG - is that because of the barrel's length?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.