Gunco Forums banner

9mm bullpup project pic.

6K views 66 replies 24 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 · (Edited)
:scared: :useless: :confused:

#5 ·
Nice! What have you determined for the best method to clamp the front of the handguard/trigger assembly to the barrel? I am thinking that the slot for the handguard retainer can be used, or making a clamp of some sort that connects the front to the barrel or gas block. Heat buildup is the only problem there.

#6 ·
Vis, that looks real promising. On a similar note I was at the Shotshow this weekend and the folks from Ace stocks were there with a demo FAL bull pup. One of the things that was really nifty was their pistol grip/trigger assy. It was made to clamp down onto an accessory rail so they could utilize it in multiple different set ups. The idea being that you construct a front handguard with a rail on the bottom (many of whcih are currently available already) and attach your grip/housing. It was a very nice looking a extremely clean set up. Something to think about anyhow.

#10 ·
Looks promising. Any updates? Is this going to use only sten mags? Last question what did you use for a barrel?

#12 ·
Well, I think the Suomi barrel won't work for my Bizon build. It is REAL thick which arguably could be a good thing, but compared to my Uzi barrel it is excessively thick.

I assume the thickness is due to the gun's intended use, and it acts as a heat sink for extended firing.

It will take lots of work on the lathe to get looking closer to what we need. You'll still need to sleeve it, the barrel is just under 23mm. I'm going to work with an Uzi barrel, they just seem to be better sized.

Now, seems like it would be ideal for a bullpup, since the extra weigh would bring better balance to the rifle. Good idea?

#16 ·
Here's some pictures of how I solved the problem of attaching 9mm Uzi barrel to an AK-74 trunion. My bullpup project is on the back burner now. I decided I need a full length one piece (about 18") receiver. So I'm working on a fixture to bend my receiver with. I don't think Sten magazines will work, but Uzi shows promise. I will update this thread as I go along.

#19 ·
Looks good... now I see where Shadow got that pic from lol

I must ask - how did you bore it out? "step cut"? :p I want to see the set-up you used - presumably on your mill? :D

I noticed you have already reamed out the trunion. So what's left for you? I would assume you'll be pinning the bolt to the carrier next? I'll probably put a spot weld on mine.

#20 ·
Would not it be a whole hell of a lot easier just to buy a 9mm barrel blank and turn the steps on it like a AK barrel and be done with it? I think that is the route Ill try as soon as I get over my current pistol fixation.LOL

#22 ·
hcpookie, It started as a barrel stub with trunion from K-var. I it was $14.95. I cut the barrel off at the RSB, and drilled it through with 5/8 drill bit. Then I reamed it out with an adjustable reammer to 16mm. I used my drill press to "turn" (don't try this at home, kids :) ) my barrel to a little more than 16mm. It's a nice press fit. I don't have a mill, so again I used my drill press with a machinist vise to "mill" my trunion. The trunion is'nt finished because I have'nt decided on what mags to use. I'd like to make my bolt removeable so I'm thinking about pinning it to the carrier just like a barrel is pinned to the trunion. Here's some more pics

Here is my "mill and lathe in one " :sick: :thumbup1:

droog, The reason for not using a barrel blank is the cost. The uzi barrel you see in the pics. is only $19.99 at CDNN :thumbup1:

#25 ·
Gotcha. Thanks for the pics. And yes I have a mill and a lathe :D

I reamed out the RSB for my pistol project:

... and I like it so much I may use it when I make my bullpups. For the Bizon build it will take a "custom" RSB that's welded onto the trunion. Its small enough I could almost make my own trunion, but for $15 it is hard to beat that barrel section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.