Gunco Forums banner

AK.45 Receiver work

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rhino_66 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, this weekend the spotlight shines on the initial receiver work. I did the basic fitting for the trunnion and stock tang. The receiver blank is a Robert Ibe 0.050" battle blank.

In this pic, I have the rails roughed and the length cut as for a normal AK receiver. The line on the top of the template is my cut line for shortening the receiver. I removed 0.800" from the bolt/carrier, so that amount must come off the receiver to get the parts to line up with the hammer. I touched off the front of the blank and then cranked the table 0.800" to check my mark. Everything lined up correctly, so I made the cut. I have the stock tang slid inside the receiver to keep the sides from flexing in the vise.

This pic shows the shortened .45 receiver compared to a standard 7.62 OOW receiver. The notches for the top cover are just visible at the back.

I need to do some welding on the bottom of the trunnion before it can be riveted in. The rails need to be trimmed to width, but I think I'll do that after the trunnion and stock tang are riveted and the center support & lower rails are installed.

I'm getting more and more excited about this project as things start coming together!!! :biggrin: :woo:

See less See more
#2 ·
Dude. you're a craftsman :)

I built my 9mm with the intention of showing I could cobble something shootable together with NO machine tools involved, short of a drill...

Yours looks really nice :) Im glad you figured out how to shorten the receiver... a lot of people piss me off saying OH YOU CANT DO THAT w/AK rails.... LOSERS

I moved my whole rails forward 3/8" along with moving the "trunnion" (its homemade on mine)back like 5/16"-3/8" also... So now the lower rails are ALWAYS supporting the bolt...

Your work is very nice... I am anxious to see final product :)

L8R

#4 ·
#5 ·
I dunno about 45acp but the Mac-11 magwell I got for Stens was approx 1/8" too LONG overall so I had to shim it down w/a piece of 1/8" shim stock... I basically used a piece of 1/8" steel to make a 1.25" X 2.25" plate... I drilled 4 holes in it to match the corners of the magwell and then connected them w/dremel.. Then I welded the magazine well to the plate, and then the plate to the receiver... It made it SUPER strong for the little weight it added... I used the adaptor plate to cover the existing AK mag opening. I aligned the front edge of the AK mag hole with the front edge of the STEN mag hole in the magwell....

Just FYI... L8R

#7 ·
jpglee1 said:
I dunno about 45acp but the Mac-11 magwell I got for Stens was approx 1/8" too LONG overall...
Already covered. I'm going to mill a slot through a piece of round bar stock and use the "ears" that are left as spacers to move the magazine down. I considered using a spacer plate but wanted a cleaner look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.