Thread: AK.45 Receiver work

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default AK.45 Receiver work

Okay, this weekend the spotlight shines on the initial receiver work. I did the basic fitting for the trunnion and stock tang. The receiver blank is a Robert Ibe 0.050" battle blank.

In this pic, I have the rails roughed and the length cut as for a normal AK receiver. The line on the top of the template is my cut line for shortening the receiver. I removed 0.800" from the bolt/carrier, so that amount must come off the receiver to get the parts to line up with the hammer. I touched off the front of the blank and then cranked the table 0.800" to check my mark. Everything lined up correctly, so I made the cut. I have the stock tang slid inside the receiver to keep the sides from flexing in the vise.

This pic shows the shortened .45 receiver compared to a standard 7.62 OOW receiver. The notches for the top cover are just visible at the back.

I need to do some welding on the bottom of the trunnion before it can be riveted in. The rails need to be trimmed to width, but I think I'll do that after the trunnion and stock tang are riveted and the center support & lower rails are installed.

I'm getting more and more excited about this project as things start coming together!!! :woo:

Last edited by Rhino_66; 12-12-2005 at 10:13 PM.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Dude. you're a craftsman

I built my 9mm with the intention of showing I could cobble something shootable together with NO machine tools involved, short of a drill...

Yours looks really nice Im glad you figured out how to shorten the receiver... a lot of people piss me off saying OH YOU CANT DO THAT w/AK rails.... LOSERS

I moved my whole rails forward 3/8" along with moving the "trunnion" (its homemade on mine)back like 5/16"-3/8" also... So now the lower rails are ALWAYS supporting the bolt...

Your work is very nice... I am anxious to see final product

L8R

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

What are you going to use for a magazine? Looks very interesting!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rbthntr64
    What are you going to use for a magazine? Looks very interesting!
    M3 "Greasegun" mags. I have a MAC-10/45 magwell adapter that will be TIG'd to the bottom of the receiver.

I have several other posts that cover my work on the bolt/carrier and barrel.

More work on .45ACP conversion.

AK.45 Conversion update (minor)

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

I dunno about 45acp but the Mac-11 magwell I got for Stens was approx 1/8" too LONG overall so I had to shim it down w/a piece of 1/8" shim stock... I basically used a piece of 1/8" steel to make a 1.25" X 2.25" plate... I drilled 4 holes in it to match the corners of the magwell and then connected them w/dremel.. Then I welded the magazine well to the plate, and then the plate to the receiver... It made it SUPER strong for the little weight it added... I used the adaptor plate to cover the existing AK mag opening. I aligned the front edge of the AK mag hole with the front edge of the STEN mag hole in the magwell....

Just FYI... L8R

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

She's comin' together! You'll finish before I get my 9mm project complete, that's for sure.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jpglee1
    I dunno about 45acp but the Mac-11 magwell I got for Stens was approx 1/8" too LONG overall...
    Already covered. I'm going to mill a slot through a piece of round bar stock and use the "ears" that are left as spacers to move the magazine down. I considered using a spacer plate but wanted a cleaner look.

Gunco Member #21

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.