Thread: AK.45 Receiver Work (Part Deux)

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default AK.45 Receiver Work (Part Deux)

Okay. Another weekend means a lot more work has been completed. This is the second installment of the work that I've done on the receiver.

Just drilling a few holes in this pic. All holes were center drilled before following up with the bit. There's a block of aluminum in the receiver preventing the sides from crushing in the vise. The square cut out of the magwell and pistol grip nut locations are just to help line the template up with the centerline of the receiver.

After all the holes were drilled and the trigger hole was cut, I flipped the receiver over and trimmed the rails to fit the carrier. The aluminum block is just too short to be visible in this pic. I made my initial cuts and checked the fit. I purposely left the rails a little wide so I could sneak up on a perfect fit. After a couple trial fittings, I got the carrier to fit quite nicely.

Here's the fit of the hammer against the carrier. The Trunnion is in the correct location, and the carrier is where it will be on the finished rifle. The fit is damn near perfect. I guess all that planning paid off...

Just a pic of the carrier in the forward position.

This is the gap that will be filled by the breech end of the barrel. The carrier is in it's most forward position.

Another shot of the interior. I still need to deburr the holes.

Here's a mock up of the receiver with the magwell and triggerguard. I'm going to make a cover out of sheet steel to cover the gap. The screw lug from the original grip will make for easy attachment. The cover will extend down over the mag catch tabs to secure the pivot pin.

I will need to trim the top of the magwell to make it perpendicular to the top rails.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited by Rhino_66; 12-12-2005 at 10:12 PM.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Anyone have a line on different trunnions? The one that I have will suffice, but I'd like to find one that is not scooped out on both sides around the barrel pin.

The trunnion with the solid ears has more material, making it easier for me to mill the clearance for the RPK Rear Sight Block.

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Could you build your own trunion? Just a thought... I plan to build my own for my Bizon. Due to the nature of these types of builds, and comparing to my Uzi's trunion, you don't need much of anything since the barrel does all the work here. You just don't need thick material for locking lugs. You just need it to hold the barrel in place for this design. I very strongly suspect that you could build an aluminum trunion and it would suffice. What do you think?

OTOH, what about puddle-welding up a bead? You would obviously have to ream for a new pin hole, but that is almost a no-brainer vs. trying to find a thicker piece of metal. Just a thought.

That's a nice looking receiver! Looks nice and beefy. I'm not completely happy with the flimsiness of the 1mm BIY receivers. I may start building on thicker receivers "just because". Seems that after handling my receiver during the normal building, rail welding, and fitting, there is inevitably some "flex" to the finished product. A few of my home builds have less-than-flat sides on them and it kinda bothers me. They function, to be certain, but I would like them to be "more perfect".

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I don't trust aluminum in high stress firearm applications (think about those William's Arms aluminum FAL receivers), especially on homebuilt parts. The stop on the left side of the trunnion is what halts forward momentum of the carrier, so it wouldn't last too long made out of aluminum.

I thought about a custom trunnion, but that's a whole bunch of work I don't want to do. If I make another one, I'll machine the trunnion and bolt/carrier out of single blocks of steel.

I thought about welding up the sides and remachining them, but I don't want to put that much heat into the trunnion.

The trunnion that I have is a virgin piece. The barrel pin hole and upper rivet holes aren't drilled. There's no bullet guide riveted in either. That's why I thought this would be excellent for the .45 build.

The receiver is a Robert Ibe "Battle Blank", with 0.050" thick material. Even without the parts riveted, the receiver is stiff as hell. Once I get the rails welded in, the FCG holes heat treated, and the parts riveted, it's gonna be SOLID!

I used the ACE Arms second generation template for this one. Since I did all the drilling on the mill, the holes are about as perfect as they can be. The FCG lines up correctly and is really smooth. I think the trick was scribing the centerline on the bottom of the receiver and lining up the template from that.

Gunco Member #21

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.