Okay. Another weekend means a lot more work has been completed. This is the second installment of the work that I've done on the receiver.
Just drilling a few holes in this pic. All holes were center drilled before following up with the bit. There's a block of aluminum in the receiver preventing the sides from crushing in the vise. The square cut out of the magwell and pistol grip nut locations are just to help line the template up with the centerline of the receiver.
After all the holes were drilled and the trigger hole was cut, I flipped the receiver over and trimmed the rails to fit the carrier. The aluminum block is just too short to be visible in this pic. I made my initial cuts and checked the fit. I purposely left the rails a little wide so I could sneak up on a perfect fit. After a couple trial fittings, I got the carrier to fit quite nicely.
Here's the fit of the hammer against the carrier. The Trunnion is in the correct location, and the carrier is where it will be on the finished rifle. The fit is damn near perfect. I guess all that planning paid off...
Just a pic of the carrier in the forward position.
This is the gap that will be filled by the breech end of the barrel. The carrier is in it's most forward position.
Another shot of the interior. I still need to deburr the holes.
Here's a mock up of the receiver with the magwell and triggerguard. I'm going to make a cover out of sheet steel to cover the gap. The screw lug from the original grip will make for easy attachment. The cover will extend down over the mag catch tabs to secure the pivot pin.
I will need to trim the top of the magwell to make it perpendicular to the top rails.
Stay tuned for more updates.