Thread: AK.45 Bolt/Carrier Update

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default AK.45 Bolt/Carrier Update

Okay, this week I got the bolt & carrier joined permanently. It wasn't actually me who did the welding, but I'm not going to name names right now. The bolt was positioned and TIGged in place, and then the valley was filled with the MIG welder.

This is the side view showing the alignment of the pieces. I milled the bottom surface flat after it was built up with weld. It won't hang up on the hammer now.

Here's a little better view of the underside. You can see the hole for the firing pin retainer. The retaining pin can be driven out thanks to an access hole that is drilled all the way through the carrier.

Since these pieces are now permanently attached, 1 part has been eliminated from the total parts count list. Also, this rifle will not be gas operated. That means there will be no gas piston, so another part is dropped from the list.

The carrier may be considered as a U.S. made part since it will not function in the original configuration and has been substantially modified. I won't know unless I submit it to the feds, and that's not going to happen. I will only have 13 countable parts in this build (14 if I make a muzzle brake). At this time, I will have 9 U.S. made parts in the build (if the carrier is counted as a U.S. made part). Only the trunnion and stock set will be imported.

This piece is the prototype. Once I find out if this works, I'm going to make one out of a single piece of steel. I'm going to mill it similar to the Bizon carrier and possibly use a Sten extractor. A Cobray extractor would be another possible contender.

Last edited by Rhino_66; 12-12-2005 at 11:01 PM.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nice work. Cant wait to see the finished build. Keep us updated!
    Visit http://www.WeaponsWorld.comfor the current ammunition sale prices!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks good and IIRC those magazine parts are going to be US parts - right? There's 3 parts right there to add. I think parts count will be the least of your worries.

That does look very very nice. Cleaned up very well. Are you going to do anything with the hardness of the bolt? Seems to me that the lower-power pistol cartridge would have less effect on the bolt material WRT cracking, peening, etc. but figure I'd ask.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

The heat was pretty localized. Considering how hard the bolt was to mill down after the welding, I don't think it really affected the heat treat too much. I just tried smacking the bolt lip that will strip rounds from the mag with a block of steel from my triggerguard jig... All I did was get a nice divit in the edge of the triggerguard buck! I don't think it'll be a problem.

The bolt face will never actually make contact with anything except the ammo. I'm going to have the carrier stopped by the heavy lug on the left side of the trunnion, just like a normal AK. TheDukeRyan on AR15.com bought the 9mm AK than jungp built, and the barrel came out of it (broke the barrel pin). I think this is because the bolt was making contact with the barrel. That's why I planned from the beginning not to have the bolt come in contact with the barrel.

Yep, my mags are U.S. made. I included them in my count already. The only imported parts in the whole build will be the Russian RPK lower handguard, Polish upper handguard/buttstock/pistol grip, and the trunnion. I found the trunnion I was looking for at AA-OK. It's the one that has the ears around the barrel pin that aren't milled out.

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Rhino,
    Do you think you might have it going by the time the August shoot comes around???
    It's looking great so far, I'll even volunteer to test fire it for you!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

This weekend I will be doing some more work on the receiver. I will hopefully get the trunnion, lower rails, and stock tang installed. Then I need to get the barrel installed and get the blocks on. After the barrel, I need to cut the opening for the magwell and get the housing welded to the receiver. Then there are a few details such as the mag release to take care of.

I should be pretty much done with the construction before the shoot, so I plan on trying it out the weekend before. If everything is kosher, I will have the functional rifle at the shoot.

Gunco Member #21

Search tags for this page

9 mm bolt for ak

9mm ak bolt

9mm ak build

milled 9mm ak

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.