Polsih underfolder build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Polsih underfolder build

  1. #1
    Gunco Member ak'sr4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    260
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Polsih underfolder build

    Ya, I know it doesn't look like a underfolder. I made some changes. I made the receiver out of 3/16 steel and used my "foolish" flux core welder to weld it up. I have been having problems loading my pics but I will try again. ak'sr4me[IMG]http://[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Gunco Member ak'sr4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    260
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak'sr4me
    Ya, I know it doesn't look like a underfolder. I made some changes. I made the receiver out of 3/16 steel and used my "foolish" flux core welder to weld it up. I have been having problems loading my pics but I will try again. ak'sr4me[IMG]http://[/IMG]
    Woops. I loaded the same pic twice. Here is the other one I meant to load and a couple of my amd 65 I tryed to post a couple weeks ago. ak'sr4me
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    GuncoHolic hotbarrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,077
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

    Default

    your reciever is very impressive. I LOVE new homemade ideas like that. I do not make my own recievers but would like to know more about your methods.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Indian Admin Winn R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    About 40 mi. north of Atlanta.
    Posts
    5,984
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

    Default

    On the folder-- what's with the front rivet pattern?

  6. #5
    Gunco Member ak'sr4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    260
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    On the folder-- what's with the front rivet pattern?
    The folder was one of my first builds. I welded the front trunion to the receiver and then I bolted side covers to the homemade receiver to give it a cleaner look and hide my lack of welding skills. The screws that you see actually do not go into the trunions so that is why the pattern is not the same. i have loaded a couple of pics of a couple of receiver shells I have started. I don't weld the receivers onto the trunions anymore so they can be taken apart if needed. ak'sr4me
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #6
    Gunco Member ak'sr4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    260
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    your reciever is very impressive. I LOVE new homemade ideas like that. I do not make my own recievers but would like to know more about your methods.
    I am starting a amd 63 today so I will post pics of my receiver build as I work on it showing the steps I use to make one. ak'sr4me

  8. #7
    Indian Admin Winn R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    About 40 mi. north of Atlanta.
    Posts
    5,984
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

    Default

    Wow- the sidewalls are doubled!!

    Must be ridgid.

    the selector lever and pins--this explains why they're missing from the left side-- they don't go through! to work out the selector lever; cut the gap wider between the tab and outer housing?

  9. #8
    Gunco Member ak'sr4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    260
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    Wow- the sidewalls are doubled!!

    Must be ridgid.

    the selector lever and pins--this explains why they're missing from the left side-- they don't go through! to work out the selector lever; cut the gap wider between the tab and outer housing?
    I cut the selector lever where it goes through the reciver and weld a piece of socket, the same size as the selector lever to extend it. Because I use outer shells screwed on to the sides of the 3/16 receiver shell, they also retain the FCG pins in place so no clips or hooks are needed to tetain them I drill the pin holes the same size on both sides and cut a piece of ak cleaning rod to fit them flush. Then I harden them before installing them. The ak cleaning rod is exactly the same diameter as the hammer and trigger pins. I beleive the rods are heat treated anyway, but I am not sure so I do it again to be on the safe side. By the time my receivers are complete I think they should rival the strengt of a milled receiver or better.

  10. #9
    Gunco Member ak'sr4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    260
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak'sr4me
    I cut the selector lever where it goes through the reciver and weld a piece of socket, the same size as the selector lever to extend it. Because I use outer shells screwed on to the sides of the 3/16 receiver shell, they also retain the FCG pins in place so no clips or hooks are needed to tetain them I drill the pin holes the same size on both sides and cut a piece of ak cleaning rod to fit them flush. Then I harden them before installing them. The ak cleaning rod is exactly the same diameter as the hammer and trigger pins. I beleive the rods are heat treated anyway, but I am not sure so I do it again to be on the safe side. By the time my receivers are complete I think they should rival the strengt of a milled receiver or better.
    I welded up the basic receiver shell today, out of 3/16 mild steel. I used a ace template to make all my cutouts and fcg holes. Next I will take 1 x 2 rectangular tubing and cut it at opposite seams to make two angle iron pieces 1x 2. I will fitt it to the sides of the sheell and this will make my top rails. I then button weld it to the receiver shell. Now it is 3/16 +.075 thick. When I attach the final side plates to the completed receiver it will be 1/4 inch+ .075 thick. I have to admit my guns are a tad bit heavy but I like the feeling of a solid gun. ak'sr4me {"To disarm the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them..."} George Mason
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #10
    GuncoHolic yosuthnmasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SW, GA
    Posts
    2,071
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Default

    Very very nice job with the welding! Great look too. Congrats on getting finished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •