Well, this weekend didn't start out so great.
1. I got off work late on Friday (I'm salaried, so no OT)
2. While loading up for my car for the weekend, I tripped on the door mat outside my apartment, and fell down the concrete steps. Leading to...
2a) I dropped the box with all the parts for my plum AK-74. Every single piece got scratched or dented as they spilled onto the sidewalk.
2b) I peeled a very thin layer of skin off my kneecap, about the size of a fifty cent piece. Not enough to really bleed, but just enough to expose all the nerve endings and seep a little plasma. At the time of this writing, it has already scabbed over and stopped stinging.
2c) I dropped my brand new spotwelder. No damage, but it scared the bejeezus out of me.
3. Saturday morning (after I got a haircut), I managed to kneel on a steel shaving with my freshly skinned knee.
4. I managed to drip lacquer thinner on my knee. This almost caused me to soil myself...
5. I realized that the threads on the gas piston are metric. Time to buy a set of metric taps and dies.
6. I blew a hole through my receiver while spotwelding the rails in place. The hole was done on the very last weld, not the first...
7. I ran out of oxygen for the torch, so I had to buy a cylinder of MAPP gas to do the axis pin holes and ejector.
8. After buying the MAPP gas, I could not find the torch head for it. After half an hour of looking around the workshop, I finally found it.
9. I took a break from the .45 to work on the Plum kit. I immediately butchered 2 rivets during installation and had to remove them. I caught them both before full squeeze, so I only had to grind a little before I could drive them out. The next tries were successful.
Okay, enough with my problems... On with the update! I bought a spotwelder from Harbor Freight, so I had to make a new lower tong to do the rails (this process went without incident).
Here's a shot of the rails installed. The rails were shortened 0.800" just as with the receiver and bolt.
Here's the trunnion in place showing the shortened distance between the trunnion and ejector. The ejector tab will wind up just at the back of the magazine when everything is assembled.
Here's the blowthrough from the last spotweld. This will have to be TIGged up when I have the magwell welded on. Everything went fine with all the other welds, so I don't know what I did wrong. I didn't hold it any longer than any of the other welds
And here's the weight rod that will replace the gas piston. I need to rethread this with the proper die, so I'll be making a trip to Harbor Freight this week. The carrier and rod are pretty heavy together, so I hope the combination of the weight and new springs will provide enough resistance to recoil for proper operation.