Thread: Another AK.45 update

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Another AK.45 update

Well, this weekend didn't start out so great.

1. I got off work late on Friday (I'm salaried, so no OT)
    2. While loading up for my car for the weekend, I tripped on the door mat outside my apartment, and fell down the concrete steps. Leading to...
    2a) I dropped the box with all the parts for my plum AK-74. Every single piece got scratched or dented as they spilled onto the sidewalk.
    2b) I peeled a very thin layer of skin off my kneecap, about the size of a fifty cent piece. Not enough to really bleed, but just enough to expose all the nerve endings and seep a little plasma. At the time of this writing, it has already scabbed over and stopped stinging.
    2c) I dropped my brand new spotwelder. No damage, but it scared the bejeezus out of me.
    3. Saturday morning (after I got a haircut), I managed to kneel on a steel shaving with my freshly skinned knee.
    4. I managed to drip lacquer thinner on my knee. This almost caused me to soil myself...
    5. I realized that the threads on the gas piston are metric. Time to buy a set of metric taps and dies.
    6. I blew a hole through my receiver while spotwelding the rails in place. The hole was done on the very last weld, not the first...
    7. I ran out of oxygen for the torch, so I had to buy a cylinder of MAPP gas to do the axis pin holes and ejector.
    8. After buying the MAPP gas, I could not find the torch head for it. After half an hour of looking around the workshop, I finally found it.
    9. I took a break from the .45 to work on the Plum kit. I immediately butchered 2 rivets during installation and had to remove them. I caught them both before full squeeze, so I only had to grind a little before I could drive them out. The next tries were successful.

Okay, enough with my problems... On with the update! I bought a spotwelder from Harbor Freight, so I had to make a new lower tong to do the rails (this process went without incident).

Here's a shot of the rails installed. The rails were shortened 0.800" just as with the receiver and bolt.

Here's the trunnion in place showing the shortened distance between the trunnion and ejector. The ejector tab will wind up just at the back of the magazine when everything is assembled.

Here's the blowthrough from the last spotweld. This will have to be TIGged up when I have the magwell welded on. Everything went fine with all the other welds, so I don't know what I did wrong. I didn't hold it any longer than any of the other welds

And here's the weight rod that will replace the gas piston. I need to rethread this with the proper die, so I'll be making a trip to Harbor Freight this week. The carrier and rod are pretty heavy together, so I hope the combination of the weight and new springs will provide enough resistance to recoil for proper operation.

Last edited by Rhino_66; 12-12-2005 at 10:09 PM.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Sounds like one of my weekends with all the injuries.

Looks like you are coming along great on the project. I stopped working on the secret .223 AK project about a month ago and haven't gotten back on track since. My prototype lower receiver cracked and I have a new made out of actual lexan this time, but not completely shpaed out yet. Maybe I'll have it mostly done at the shoot, but probably not...

Looking good on your .45 though and I cannot wait to see it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ryan -- Sometimes I listen to the whistling wind which says, "don't work on guns today". I'm generally better off when I listen.

The welder tongs open up quickly. Arcing does that, burns holes, to me. Constant diligence for this dilettante. I file the slag off the tips and readjust by screwing the tips out (the book adjustment is too much a pita).
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Cimarron

Rhino,

Sorry to hear about the weekend! I was going to say "why don't we get some guys together for a build sometime" but now I'm not sure. just kidding. Hope your rest of the week goes better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lacquer thinner on skinned hide??Yeeeeouchhhh!!!
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I knew when I made that pic of the "Old Coot Strength Loc-Tite", that it'd come back to haunt me...
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    Ryan -- Sometimes I listen to the whistling wind which says, "don't work on guns today". I'm generally better off when I listen.
    That wind has been blowing quite often around my house lately. I think I've not been in the shop for about a month now. I can hear that Yugo build still laughing whenever I pull into the driveway. I dunno, maybe it is the weather, but I've just not been motivated to build ANYTHING lately. On top of that, I've been up to my eyeballs in "home maintenance". SHEESH.

I must be a sucker for punishment, because I'm looking at a hole-in-the-water, er, I mean a sailboat, to take out onto the bay. Tested one out this weekend and now I'm *really* all hot and bothered for one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

HA!, i can just see you falling down the steps spilling gun parts. Oh man would I have been cussing. Here, maybe this will make you feel at least a little better.

My brother who is 43 and 7 years my seinor shows up one day bruised head to toe. He looked like he had been in a car accident or someone beat the hell out of him with a ball bat. Anyway, he is 6'-3", 235 lbs with a healthy ego and like me, pretty proud folk. Well, get this...he is at Raymond James stadium last season for a home Bucs football game. He is drinking with his buddies and just coarsing with testosterone. He breaks for the bathroom and makes his way to the stairs. He starts jogging up the stairs, misses a step and FALLS right there, in front of 20 rows of people. Slam, bam all into the concrete steps. Now people are horrified watching this and run over to help him up. he shrugs them all off and says "Im fine"...gets up, straightens out, and calmly walks to the shitter all the while trying not to scream in agony and cry like school girl. He says nothing to his buddies but tells me all about it.

I laughed sooo damn hard. He was lucky they didnt show it on the jumbo tron.
    Visit http://www.WeaponsWorld.comfor the current ammunition sale prices!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    I must be a sucker for punishment, because I'm looking at a hole-in-the-water, er, I mean a sailboat, to take out onto the bay. Tested one out this weekend and now I'm *really* all hot and bothered for one.
    Jerry -- I can't own a boat.

I finally gave up when I found I couldn'd keep a sailboat running!

But I just got the mg42 in.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.