Gunco Forums banner

AK.45 is ALMOST finished...

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Patriot Game 
#1 · (Edited)
This weekend, I got most of the important things done. The extractor is tweaked and seems to be functioning, the barrel is pinned, the mag catch works, the top cover fits, I got the handguards fitted and the retainer notch cut, and I threw some cheapo Krylon satin black on it to keep it from rusting while I'm in WV at the shoot.

It looks bent, but my camera likes to do a fisheye thing if you're not directly over the subject.

There are still a couple minor things to do, but I'll get them taken care of during the week.

While fitting the carrier to clear the mag lips, I managed to mill through the weld that was securing the bolt in the carrier! I soldered it back in place and it feels much more solid now. The bolt was only welded at the stipper lug on the bottom. When I tapped the carrier with anything metal, I swear I could feel the stem of the bolt moving in the carrier. Now it's soldered solid through the whole surface inside the carrier.

I had to slightly modify the feed lips of the magazine to get the damn thing to feed properly. I squeeked 0.050" off the top of the lips in the mill, and that was all it needed.

I also got the Plum 74 finished. I already had it assembled, but had to make up an axis pin retainer plate.

I have a bunch of Barnaul 5.45 to break this one in with. I can't wait to fire both of these rifles!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
boy oh boy I realy love custom work I realy admire your effort!!
on another point I personaly think it looks extreamly good , I like the personality of the lines . smaller mag, staite mag , very differant but WOW I like it..
I did not follow all of your threads but I guess I should have..
can you convert a standard reciever?? I assume you started with a blank..

I want one .... maby next year..

#8 ·
Rhino that .45 is awsome!!! Not only do you have the mechanical design side down but you do nice looking builds too!! I love reading your threads as they inspire me like HC Pookie's and a few others here do!! :notworthy Thanks for posting the pics.

#10 ·
hotbarrel said:
boy oh boy I realy love custom work I realy admire your effort!!
on another point I personaly think it looks extreamly good , I like the personality of the lines . smaller mag, staite mag , very differant but WOW I like it..
I did not follow all of your threads but I guess I should have..
can you convert a standard reciever?? I assume you started with a blank..

I want one .... maby next year..

I used a Robert Ibe 0.050" Battle Blank for the receiver.

http://bentmetal.homestead.com/bentmetal.html

Construction was almost identical to a standard build, but I didn't cut the mag opening until the trunnion was riveted and the barrel was installed. I did this to get the front of the magazine about 1/8" behind the breech of the barrel. If I had moved it about 1/4" back, I probably wouldn't have had to modify the magazine. As it is, I trimmed the feed lips of the mag down 0.050" or just a touch more to get the thing to feed properly. I can cycle it by hand and every round will strip and the bolt will close. When I pull back, the round catches the ejector just right and flips out of the receiver as it should.

When I cut the mag opening, I actually milled the trunnion out with a carbide ball end mill. I just kept making deeper passes until I had milled off the bolt lugs. With the trunnion in place, I was able to thin out the sides to allow the magazine to slide in.

I couldn't use a standard receiver or flat for this combination of parts, because the magwell dimples would prevent the magazine from going in far enough. The bent blank is really nice to work with, so I highly recommend dealing with Robert. For a 9mm, you could probably get away with a standard receiver or flat, but you would want to weld a patch in the magwell hole.

There are a few things that I did just to get it ready before the WV shoot. Once I find out if it works, I'll go back and fabricate a couple different parts to replace the quickies.

I can't wait for the shoot in WV to test fire it. After doing this project, I know what I would do different. It wasn't really difficult, but took a LOT of planning and trial fitting to get where it is. If it successfully fires and stays together, I will call it a complete success.

#12 ·
I've got a double hook Tapco G2 for it. I figure the second hook is extra insurance just in case of catastrophic failure. Hopefully it would prevent the thing from emptying the magazine in a most undesired (although fun) manner.

#14 ·
Cephus said:
I'll test it for ya ,the only thing I got to loose is my good looks !!!!!

Good looks? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I'll be holding you back with the first pointy stick I can find... :scared: :rofl:

Attachments

#15 ·
Cephus said:
I'll test it for ya ,the only thing I got to loose is my good looks !!!!!
I have a whole series of function tests planned for the initial firings. I don't want to risk anybody else's body parts on this thing. Once it's determined to be safe (and if it stays together), I'll let you guys have at it.

#17 ·
I see you guys are more determined than me to find out how well I built this thing! I say we try to see how long it takes before something breaks! Jeff, bring whatever ammo you want (as long as it's not that +P stuff). The Wolf steel case hand cycles through without any problem, so I plan on running a few of my boxes through it as well. We'll see how well I did on heat treating the ejector... If the steel case stuff tears it up, I've got a few boxes of Blazer CCI aluminum case ammo to use.

I've got several different types of .45 ammo I'm bringing. I will be bringing a couple different 1911s to shoot as well. I'm going to have my C6.45 Para, and I'm hoping Raven brings his new .45 with him.

Lemmee see here... .45, 30.06, .308, and 5.45
That should make for an interesting and entertaining weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.