This weekend, I got most of the important things done. The extractor is tweaked and seems to be functioning, the barrel is pinned, the mag catch works, the top cover fits, I got the handguards fitted and the retainer notch cut, and I threw some cheapo Krylon satin black on it to keep it from rusting while I'm in WV at the shoot.
It looks bent, but my camera likes to do a fisheye thing if you're not directly over the subject.
There are still a couple minor things to do, but I'll get them taken care of during the week.
While fitting the carrier to clear the mag lips, I managed to mill through the weld that was securing the bolt in the carrier! I soldered it back in place and it feels much more solid now. The bolt was only welded at the stipper lug on the bottom. When I tapped the carrier with anything metal, I swear I could feel the stem of the bolt moving in the carrier. Now it's soldered solid through the whole surface inside the carrier.
I had to slightly modify the feed lips of the magazine to get the damn thing to feed properly. I squeeked 0.050" off the top of the lips in the mill, and that was all it needed.
I also got the Plum 74 finished. I already had it assembled, but had to make up an axis pin retainer plate.
I have a bunch of Barnaul 5.45 to break this one in with. I can't wait to fire both of these rifles!!!!