Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Russian AK47 Project Rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Russian AK47 Project Rifle

Tantal just put up a project page for my Russian AK47 copy. I think that Tantal did an excellent job on the page and I'm greatful that he chose to feature my rifle.

Here's the link:

AK47 Project Rifle on Tantal's Website

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

WOW!!!!! Nice rifle Mike!!!!! I really respect you guys that have the authenticity "bug" and the lengths you go to make it as real as possible. I love the blued finish. A true work of art.
    Last edited by Grendeljaeger; 08-27-2005 at 05:00 PM.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score

That is a truly awesome AK-47 . . .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That pic makes me happy in my pants.

Are you gonna actually shoot that gun?

Feedback Score
    3 (80%)

That is very nice, very nice indeed. I have an unhealthy desire for a milled AK. This only makes it worse.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. The rifle took so long to complete that I almost couldn't believe it when it was finished.

The rifle has had a few hundred rounds through it. The photos were taken right after it came back from being polished and blued. I fired a couple of hundred rounds in it before I sent it off to be polished and blued to make sure there were no function issues. I didn't want to have to fool with it after it had been blued. It has a slight mark on the receiver from the selector, but otherwise looks the same as in the photos.

It's the only milled AK that I have and it shoots more smoothly than my stamped receiver rifles. And since I only have to carry it to/from the range the extra weight isn't a problem.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Man....now I realy want to bid on one of the dozen or so milled AK;s on GB.
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

That looks very nice! The only thing I don't like is the eagle. other than that it is absolute sweetness.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A true 10
    Polished blue,to good to shoot.
    Like a perfect classic car.
    I must ask,did you polish for blue,who did the blue job.
    I will stop gushing now,GREAT JOB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks again for the kind words.

Kevin_M4:
    I agree. The eagle (or BFE, as it is commonly called) is the most bothersome marking on the receiver. From what the Firing Line has posted on their board on the KVAR forums, the size and location of the BFE is going to change. But they haven't listed details or posted photos of the changed eagle. I am also not really crazy about how the Firing Line marks their manufacturers information either. It doesn't need to be as big as it is. But right now they're the only game in town for a milled, threaded AK receiver.

gaucho1:
    Finding someone that would do the polishing and bluing the way it needed to be done to replicate a Russian AK47 finish was a significant challenge. Troy Sellars at In Range recommended Checkmate Custom in Brooksville, FL. After talking with them on the phone, I sent the parts and a detailed set of instructions (which included detailed color photographs showing what I wanted done and where to do it). The Firing Line receivers come with a finish that shows fine marks from machining over the entire surface of the receiver and the early blued Russian AK finish that I have seen is about like a modern commercial quality blued finish in the US, a #400 grit polish with nice, deep bluing. Checkmate had to do a significant amount of polishing to remove machining marks. But to match the way the Russians did it, the receiver polishing had to be done without polishing the lightening cuts on the sides of the receiver. It took a while, but they followed the instructions and did really nice work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.