My New Romanian "G Gun" Build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Romanian "G Gun" Build

Feedback Score

Default My New Romanian "G Gun" Build

I wanted to show off my 1982 Romanian AIM rifle I just built from a kit. It's my fourth build. I had Mario at Piece of History Firearms in Tucson, AZ, engrave the Romanian selector markings, then I reparked it and sprayed it twice with Rustoleum Satin Black then baked at 400deg for 30 mins. The satin black Rustoleum is a near-exact match for the finish on a Russian AKMS receiver stub I have, but it's a little thicker, not as smooth a finish. Even with great care the spray can just has issues. This is one of the "G-gun" kits recently imported, the G on the left side of the rear sight block that is covered by orange paint is actually engraved in. The wood I stripped and refinished, it's a little more gold than red/iodine, but looks good against the black metal.

The engraving is real sharp, just a fuzzy pic.

Alot of guys have asked me where I got the engraving done. Here's the link to the Mario's website: http://www.pieceofhistoryfirearms.com/services.html
    He also took a Bulgy 74 trunnion and put a great Russian Izmash arsenal mark and serial number on it. I had no idea you could send and receive receivers directly through the mail to and from a gunsmith, I thought it would have to go through an FFL in my state. He was real fast getting this done, about a week.

Steve

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

nice, the engravings really set it off!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

that's good -- I was hoping someone would start this.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl
    nice, the engravings really set it off!
    Thanks! Here's a better pic of the engraving:

And here's the trunnion markings I also painted in (these close-up pics really tell me I need to do a better job cleaning out the crevices on the rifle before I refinish!!):

that's good -- I was hoping someone would start this.
    Start what?? the engraving?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

nice job, very nice. good looking rivets too!!!! did you like the GT receiver?

Feedback Score

Yep I really like the GT receiver. The holes are all right on, all I have had to do to them is make sure the top of the receiver is opened up to 25mm wide so the bolt slides freely back and forth. I wish they would put all the markings on the bottom, change to a single-hook trigger cut out, and start making a sidefolder option!

I used CWToyota's bolt-cutter/squeezer on the rivets, works great. My first build I actually pounded the rivets nearly flat with a ball-peen hammer so this is a pretty big improvement for me!

Steve

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by steve467

Start what?? the engraving?
    Yes -- the last one posted was done with an exacto knife!!!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Looks great.. One question, were did the "FA" and "FF" come from? I thought the markings were S,A,R
    Repeal FOPA NOW!!!!!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mike26038
    Looks great.. One question, were did the "FA" and "FF" come from? I thought the markings were S,A,R
    Military AIM markings are S-FA-FF. Later 5.45mm rifles went to 1-2-3.

Feedback Score

Must just have been the RPKs that were S-A-R then? That makes a lot of sense, as does everything in the AK world..
    Repeal FOPA NOW!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.