Gunco Forums banner

.338 Spectre AK platform?

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Polish Taipan 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Stock Options

Above from Global Trades..good for the VSK-94 clone

Ace LTD's SMG stock above...maybe ok for the 9A-91 clone.

Was thinking of using a Saiga handguard with hatchmarks in it.

#4 ·
According to Marty, 14 .338 rounds will fit into an unmodified 74 mag. I'm thinking a 105 might look the most natural.

#6 ·
Personally, this .338 caliber seems "too" proprietary. Can't use normal mags, can't use anything but handload brass, new barrel. Best when used with 6.8 SPC cases.

I dunno. How many ways CAN you get the same ballistic performance? I dunno.

I've been trying to find info about that 9x39 clone - "35x39 wildcat". Supposedly that company I mentioned (in that similar thread on the Gunco ammo discussion forum) made some .35 caliber Mini-30 conversions using a 7.62x39 case. That seems like a more logical match - 7.62x39 case + .35 Remington bullets. Both items are readily available, making, IMO a better caliber conversion. No ballistic data, however. If it were compared to the Rusky 9x39, which we know NOTHING about, it would have to perform with similar characteristics.

#7 ·
Excerpt from http://www.world.guns.ru/sp-e.htm#sp5 :

...at the distances of up to 400 meters (440 yards), Soviet engineers developed different loads. These loads - SP-5, SP-6 [...] are based on M43 case (7.62x39mm), re-necked to accept heavy 9 mm bullet.
"Standard" case renecked...

SP-5 was designed as "sniper" load and has Full Metal Jacketed bullet with small steel core and lead behind it. SP-6 was designed as "assault" load with Semi-Jacketed bullet with pointed, hardened steel core exposed at the nose of the bullet.
Both SP-5 and SP-6 bullets weights approx. 16 gramms (ca. 235 grains). Those loads adopted by spec-op units of Soviet Union Internal Affair Ministry forces and by Soviet Army Spetznaz in 1980s and still in service with different Russian special operations forces.

PAB-9 is recently developed and more cheap version of SP-6. It also has heavier bullet - 17.3 gramms (ca. 255 grains) with hardened steel core.
There's the bullet sizes to aim for (no pun intended). No idea where to look - anyone know where to find .35 Remington bullet sizes and info???

#8 ·
No no...you can use 6.8mm brass...but 10mm Mag brass, which is pretty cheap and plentiful, is best.

#9 ·
I'm still curious about this 35x39 conversion. Wouldn't .35 Rem barrels be easier to obtain?

Info:
=========
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/446525/Main/446525

On the 9X39, from the G&A Article by Dave Fortier:

The standard SP-5 ball load consists of a 250-grain 9mm FMJBT with a lead core and a thin jacket topped by a steel penetrator. Also fielded is a SP-6 AP load consisting of a 246-grain FMJBT with a thin jacket and steel penetrator core. Muzzle velocity of both these loads is approximately 950fps making them very easy to supress. Recoil is mild and controlability on full automatic is very good.

While the ballistics of these loads sound very mundane, the heavy weight of the projectiles combined with high ballistic coefficents makes them more effective than one would expect. The Russians claim the SP-6 load will shoot through both sides of a US kevelar helmet at 400 meters. In concept this cartridge is similar to JD Jones' .300 Whisper.

In Russia the author interviewed to MVD end-users who had just returned from a year's service in Chechnya. Their comments were that while the cartridge's accuracy was mediocre, its terminal performance was excellent, and it "knocked Chechnyans flat."
==============

Added this and links:
===============
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3982

There is a wildcat in the US called 35x39 or 350x39 which may be its best approximation. Accuracy Systems Inc used to rebarrel Mini-30s for that round.

I would think it would be close to our 35 Remington. I wanted an SKS or AK in 9x39mm so very badly for a while, but think perhaps 35 Remington would do. The AKM has been successfully rebarreled in that round. Such a build is on my agenda for the future.
==============

Question: WHERE are the .35 Remington rebarrelled AK pics?????

#10 ·
Pookie...all those reasons are why I'm looking at the .338. It's similarity to the .300 whisper, wide variety of bullets, cheap 10mm brass to use, and the use of unmoddified 5.45 magazines. If there is a downside it would be that Teppo Jutsu is the only place to get a barrel.

#12 ·
Nice thing is its supposed to be rather low recoil too....thats why I had thought the pistol was a possibility too.

#15 ·
Hmmm conversions of the Mini-30 to 6.5mm g huh?
That .243 Leviathan looks interesting. Looks like it could go single stack in a 5.56 or 5.45 mag.

#16 ·

.338 Sectre bullets and loaded rounds.

#18 ·
hcpookie said:
.243 Leviathan!!!!! :D

Look at that rebated rim already marked by the * asterisk.

Wildcats need lots of feeding, grooming, and care. Best not to adopt one that requires major work on each case. You want a large number of cases to load and shoot. The easiest would be one that is shaped in one pass thru a sizing die.

I'm going to pass on the .338 Spectre.

#20 ·
I have to admit..I have a lot on my plate right now as it is. Why I'd want to start planning for and buying for another project I have no idea.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.