Gunco Forums banner

Bullpup Builds

7K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  Sangrun Hunter 
#1 ·
OK I had to do it - wanting to collect all the bullpup info into one location.

My bullpup project list includes:

SVU clone
http://www.world.guns.ru/sniper/sn19-e.htm

For the SVU clone, I'd like to get a Romak-3 built and work from there.

Groza clone 5.45
http://www.world.guns.ru/assault/as09-e.htm

Groza clone 5.56

Groza clone 9mm

For the Groza, I'm obviously going to build several models. Heck, I may even make a kit! I'm going to start with an AK-74 as the base rifle, and custom mill the bullpup parts.

The basic bullpup conversion will require some additional parts - a second trigger guard is necessary for the magazine release lever.

If you use a Saiga .223 as the base rifle, you will not need a 2nd trigger guard. That leads me to my next idea - a Saiga .223 conversion into the bullpup config. The advantage here is that since the standard AK-74 FSB is not required on the bullpup, you'll have one less extra part to worry about. And all of the "custom" parts on the Saiga means you won't be butchering a perfectly good AK-74 parts kit to get your custom bullpup.

For a 9mm conversion, you could use the PPSH 9mm barrels from K-Var, a barrel blank from any of the gunsmith stores like e-gunparts.com, etc. and put a barrel extension on it, or go with an SBR rifle.

See less See more
#53 ·
#54 ·
Fargo said:

Found some info on this design:

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/posts/157.html

http://home.tula.net/tularms/museumen.htm

(referring to the top pic):

Korobov's TKB-022PM
Experimental Assault Rifle

Designed in 1962. Bullpup layout, initially used by G.A.Korobov in 1946 in his TKB-408 Experimental Assault Rifle. Wide use of plastics.

In the post-war time Korobov's weapon was the most strong competitor to the Kalashnikovs.

I wonder if the lower pic is the -408 experimental design from '46?​

Cartridge​

Magazine capacity

Firing mode​
Length​
Weight, empty​
7,62х39 mm​
30 rds.​
selective fire​
525 mm​
2,8 kg​

20.67" length​
6.17 lbs. empty​

The AK-74 is 3.3 kg - 7.27 lbs. - empty.​

Also note the downward-ejecting port between the magazine and the trigger. Possible this is an ambidextrious design... depends on where the cocking handle is located.​

VEWY INTEWESTING...​

#58 ·
That Vepr is nice in that the sight window is longer than the Groza. Also, it has a charging handle on the left near the piston, and it looks just like a FAL charging handle.

That would be a nice addition, AND I think it would enable you to make it an ambidextrious fit, assuming you have a bullet deflector of some sort.

#60 ·
magnus392 said:
Dang...that is really cool...I am bullpuping an AMD kit...I still haven't worked out the trigger yet. I don't like the wire idea and a linkage is really tough to fit any ideas fellas?
I've posted this before, but I read on one of the forums that a person built one and he improved the trigger pull by substituting a bicycle brake cable for the wire link. He anchored it at the front and rear and oiled it and it gave a much improved (over the wire linkage) trigger pull.

#64 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
I've posted this before, but I read on one of the forums that a person built one and he improved the trigger pull by substituting a bicycle brake cable for the wire link. He anchored it at the front and rear and oiled it and it gave a much improved (over the wire linkage) trigger pull.
Yes I read that too. He used a K-Var kit and replaced the wire. He used JB-weld to "glue" the cable along one side of the receiver. I think he went so far as to use wire crimps to secure both ends. Said the difference in pull made all the difference in the world.

I'm going to get a heater for my garage because I just can't stand sitting around in this winter weather w/o working on my guns... must build bullpup...

#68 ·
Tec Nine said:
Unless someone figures out a good way to mount a scope rail off the barrel of a bullpup.
Working on it! Just picked up a heater for the garage so this weekend I'm going to finally get it cleaned up and start building things again.

#71 ·
Bullpup Saiga.

Hey, glad someone found that pic of the Bullpup Saiga. I built that a couple years ago. I started with a standard 16" Saiga, used the AMD lower handguard, US pistol grip, Ultimak rail, AR carry handle, I was going to have it drilled and tapped for a front sight insert, but I couldn't get a decent trigger link working on it, so I ended up scrapping the Bullpup parts and just building it as an AK-103. It was a neat little gun, if I could have gotten the trigger set up, I probably would have kept it. It was more of a Groza "inspired" gun than a clone, since I was trying to do it cheap and didn't want to put a bunch of money out for the Krinkov parts. I've read a lot of posts by some members here and on some other boards where they show how to get a decent trigger systems, so I might try another one as a pistol. I think as long as a new receiver was used, you would be good to go, sort of like the Bushmaster pistol from some years ago.

#72 ·
762AP said:
Hey, glad someone found that pic of the Bullpup Saiga. I built that a couple years ago. I started with a standard 16" Saiga, used the AMD lower handguard, US pistol grip, Ultimak rail, AR carry handle, I was going to have it drilled and tapped for a front sight insert, but I couldn't get a decent trigger link working on it, so I ended up scrapping the Bullpup parts and just building it as an AK-103. It was a neat little gun, if I could have gotten the trigger set up, I probably would have kept it. It was more of a Groza "inspired" gun than a clone, since I was trying to do it cheap and didn't want to put a bunch of money out for the Krinkov parts. I've read a lot of posts by some members here and on some other boards where they show how to get a decent trigger systems, so I might try another one as a pistol. I think as long as a new receiver was used, you would be good to go, sort of like the Bushmaster pistol from some years ago.
Got any pics? Would like to see some of the parts you modded.

#73 ·
Whatever you guys dream up, I'd abandon the idea of iron sites and keep your eyes on the price....trigger pull and a way to mount a standard optics rail off the barrel. My Type 86 Norinco bullpup was cool, but even if the iron sites were perfected (FAR from it), the front and rear were so close together that sight radius made almost like shooting a large pistol. The Norinco has no way to mount optics, so it made the entire gun a novelty at best.

I just may get back to work on my bullpup project. 8 pages of posts on this topic, and thousands of AKs in the country as potential consumers. It's amazing that nobody has developed a mass market kit yet. Here are some of the links I've collected over the years. The Vektor site has some nice break-down shots of the linkage, safety, etc. It's a modified Galil, much like the Valmet 82.

Russian Site

Vektor CR21

#74 ·
Mine is done !!!!!!!
:woo: :hyper: :wave:

I just finished coating the thing in ceramic engine paint and is now curing. Tomorrow I put on the pre-fitted wood, and the PK-AS scope on a special mount.
I am Happy to report my trigger Idea came out slicker than poo!

I will snap some pics tomorrow and get them developed, then post them.
So much work was done just to accomadate my trigger design.
Like no rivets for the trigger gaurd to bind up a rod and running a .078 rod to the right side, by having special trigger master and slave with arms sitting just off from the right wall of the receiver. only 2 slight bends and there is virtually no flex in that thick rod. I had it set for adjustments so I could perfect it when in. I opted for a slight stiffer pull to get half the travel. If I want I can switch it for easy pull and same travel. I personally think the stock trigger has to much travel.

It has No iron sights and only the PK-AS.

The wood pieces are a longer gas tube cover and almost stock front hand guard, short little buttstock and cheek rest. A special rear trunnion was made and the actuall buttstock end is much shorter than k-vars, because I have no rear tang to accomodate. So less distance to the pistol grip and you don't have that long reach.
It measures 27 1/4 long total.

I am only scratching the surface of all that was done. I have been on this on and off for about 9 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.