Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: polish kit

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

cammer
    I do not recomend pressing the rivets into the barrel to crush them. If the barrel is out then buck the rivets first, if the barrel is in then think about a screw job. If you press the rivets from the outside against the barrel it seems to me you may end up with heads not flush to the reciever. as you crush, the rivet gets fatter, if it gets fatter then it will not go through the hole and crush on the inside. so again this could leave you with a rivet thet is not flush up against the reciever . hay just my oppinion

also keep in mind their is no shame in a screw build and all the most dificult riveting is a nonissue. my AMD63 has a screwed front trunion rvieted trigger guard and rear trunion. I love it

Feedback Score

Okay, I think I see now why that wouldn't work. The rivets would squash down inside the trunion and there wouldn't be enough of a rivet left on top of the receiver. I didn't realize the amount of space inside the trunion. I knew there had to be a good reason. It's too easy to do that. If it worked like that then everyone would do it. Now I guess I need to come up with an unusually shaped bucking bar, or just use screws. At this point I'm thinking of just using screws except for the trigger guard. I have a polish kit with the barrel out, and a vulcan receiver on the way. The receiver is coming from Joeken so hopefully it will be here before the next presidential election.

I've heard that screws are actually stronger than rivets so that's a point in their favor, even though I don't think the extra strength is really needed. I actually kinda like the look of the button head allen screws so that doesn't bother me either.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    cammer
    I do not recomend pressing the rivets into the barrel to crush them. If the barrel is out then buck the rivets first, if the barrel is in then think about a screw job. If you press the rivets from the outside against the barrel it seems to me you may end up with heads not flush to the reciever. as you crush, the rivet gets fatter, if it gets fatter then it will not go through the hole and crush on the inside. so again this could leave you with a rivet thet is not flush up against the reciever . hay just my oppinion

also keep in mind their is no shame in a screw build and all the most dificult riveting is a nonissue. my AMD63 has a screwed front trunion rvieted trigger guard and rear trunion. I love it

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Default OK NOW BACK TO OUR POLISH BUILD

OK NOW BACK TO OUR POLISH BUILD.
    I hear that my new styl reciever will be here sometime this week. So as in the past with this build I want to put it out to evryone to choise and I will do whatever the majority decides.
    Polish folder or fixed stock.
    you guys tell me how you want to see it,, just like the carrier and I will do it. I am asking before the reciever arives to have some time for oppinions to come in. when the reciever showes up I am going to work one way or another, so I know you have an oppinion put your vote in now....

POLISH FOLDER, LAMINATED mil, BLOND WOOD mil..?????

Feedback Score

OK NOW BACK TO OUR POLISH BUILD.
    POLISH FOLDER, LAMINATED mil, BLOND WOOD mil..?????
    There's room in my heart for both the underfolder and the fixed stock. I'm planning on building at least one of each. But if you decide to go with fixed stock then it will have to be laminated IMHO.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

well if no more votes it is going to be a folder

Feedback Score

well if no more votes it is going to be a folder
    Yeah baby, gotta luv dem folders.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I just love the folders

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

good news!!!!! the reciever is here!!!! it is a new styl vulcan with the ser number moved forward. well their were not many votes however it seems the folders have it. So folder it will be.
    The first thing I did was to dry fit the rear trunion. I found the rear rivet that is full leingth will fit fine with the factory hole. The two holes for the front rivets do not line up at all. This means they will have to be filled with weld. unfortunatly my camera is not good enough to show the detail but we all can visualize a hole then welding it up and grinding to smooth. After I weld the holes I will have to drill new ones because the polish rear trunion has more rivets. their is one long one and four short ones.
    their is another issue I notice one of the rivets will require a hole in the manufactors name, this is not something I want to do. I may actualy skip this rivet, this will give me one long and three short. I believe this will be enough but I am going to investigate this.
    hopefully by Teusday I will have the welding done and have both trunions riveted in. Agin I hope. when this is done I will include some photos showing the repositioned holes even if they are not too clear.
    Thanks to the guys partisipating in this build by voteing, I will continue to let you make all decisions I posable.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

their is another issue I notice one of the rivets will require a hole in the manufactors name, this is not something I want to do.

It can't be as bad as this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

so far I have decided to skip that one rivet. I am NOT going to drill a hole in the manufactors info.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.