couple of questions for you'all

Thread: couple of questions for you'all

Feedback Score

Default couple of questions for you'all

I am going to be ordering 2 100% AK receivers soon and would like to know what are the best to use. The first one will be put on a Romanian "G" kit and the second will be put on a Polish underfolder. Both of the kits are mint and the metal is very nice with the Polish kit having very nice parkerizing. With that being said, I was thinking about useing ALUMA-HIDE 2 from Brownells just on the receiver and rivets, not on the other metal parts (I dont have access to a sand blaster). What do you guys think? Has anyone ever used this stuff?

Also, what is the best method to use when trying to remove and install the gas piston pin?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question finnishing

just curious why you wouldn't just parkerize it like the rest of the kit? get a kit for parkerizing on ebay for like 30 bux? easy to do just need a propane grill or one of those turkey fryer's with the propane setup. just a thought, I usually paint my kits but plan to do a few grey oxide builds with black furniture soon. besides park is a great milspec finnish. just a suggestion. type parkerizing in the ebay search box look what they got "black/grey kits" they are great. have used them personally with great success.

Feedback Score

I could do that. I just saw the price of the brownells stuff and thought that it may work. Do you think that I could get by just parkerizing the receiver after its completed? Do you think it will be difficult to match the color?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wink piston removal

lol sorry about not posting all in one shot but hadn't noticed the piston removal question till after I submitted my response. best way to do this is to find the original pin, sometimes you have to sand down the the area a bit to see the pin better, center punch the pin and then drill it out, start the hole small and work your way out then aquire a new pin from one of the vendors and either press it flat or set it on the anvil part of your vise and grab a BFH "don't really need a HUGE hammer" when your done just clean it up flush and rub some cold blue over the grind marks to avoid corosion. the cold blue doesn't have to be done I'm sure there are other methods, could probably even just oil it well "shrug" hope that helps. The AK Builder site has the pins listed not sure if they are instock.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

lol too bad there isn't any direct chatting on this forum, it would be easier, anyway I have done just the lower receiver on one of my FN FAL's, it is fairly straight forward to do, I have a polish and I think it is more of a black manganese than it is a grey oxide, I may be wrong but that is what it appears to be to me. just watch it as you go it doesn't hurt to lift the parts out of the solution to check the coloring of the finnish. just do it with lots of light around you and your parts kit near by to compare it. if it's not dark enough dip it for a few minutes longer. I plan on doing mine the same way because I don't have a full size rifle park tank and don't feel like buying one. mostly because I am a home builder and not intending on making a buisness out of it. it really is easy. just be sure that ALL OF THE PARTS ARE CLEAN! brake parts cleaner will help. some people boil the parts after applying the cleaning solution provided with the kit. be sure to have clean hands and you would be better off just hanging the parts on a coat hanger and not touching them to avoid transfer of oils from your hands as that will cause variations in the finnish. Twissted

Feedback Score

I think im gonna follow your suggestion and use the park solution. About the 100% receivers, which should I buy? One will be for a Romy and the other will be for a Polish underfolder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

on 100% receivers I would recommend either a global or OOW the global will be more expensive, but I am told is a better receiver. "I have never used one" I have used OOW and vulcan...whatever you do don't use vulcan. maybe ewbanks is good I am unsure. I will be making all of my own receivers from now on. have a jig and shop press, spot welder and map torch for heat treating. lots of money to spend just to build a few rifles but the rifles mean more to me knowing that I built as much of them as I was able to. ask people about ewbanks, I'm not sure about them but the Ohio Ordinance receivers "OOW" are really good in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

check with scubadvr about what the price is on the mass order he is thinking about making, maybe you can get in on that and save some money. personally I hate dealing with FFL's and I think you would have more fun building your own but I realize that everyone has a certain budget and you probably wouldn't want to buy all the stuff for making your own receivers just for a few kits. I did but I'm just stubborn lol

Feedback Score

Ya, I would like to fold my own flats but cant afford all of the stuff. I am going to buy a 12ton press from Harbor Freight though. I have a total of 5 kits that Im planning to build. The first 2 are the romy and the underfolder. I then have a Tantal, and 2 more romy's. After I get these first two built, depending on how long it takes, I may look into buying the equipment to fold my own. Hopefully, there will still be kits for sale at that time because I cant see buy the equipment now and only using it on 3-5 kits. I have heard of the two company's you mentioned and I will probably buy from them. Is there a different receiver for the underfolder compared to the straight stock, or can the same kind of receiver be used for both?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

the rear trunion is obviously very different if you look. I recommend you either get one of the ewbanks underfolder receivers that is already built to accept your rear trunion and parts...I know of a place who has them but am not sure it would be appropriate to post other vendor sites here. besides that, I am not too fond of the seller due to past dealings with them, if you want PM me and I will tell you where you can find them, but if you do get them directly from this seller be sure they are "INSTOCK!!! and READY TO SHIP" that is very important because I was put on back order for a basic style receiver about 2 years ago and I waited patiently for a full year and then called them and found out they didn't even know about my order, turned out they changed ownership during the time and my order was just sitting in their computer someplace uncompleted!!!!!!!! after the phone call with the new owner everything was fixed and I got what I had ordered, but it was not a fun transaction! or the much cheaper and probably better for you option if you have a dremel tool would be to buy a OOW receiver and find someone with an underfolder template you could use to modify the rear trunion area for each of your trunion types. PM me and I will tell you both places to look the premade are 99.99 plus ffl fee's at the site I know of. ones you will have to modify are 59.95 plus ffl fee. it's your money you think about it. I looked for sponsor vendors first to see if they had any for sale but couldn't find any of either. any sellers if your out there with what the guy needs speak up please good luck. Twissted

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.