Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Pin

Feedback Score

Default Barrel Pin

I know this topic has probably been covered many times. But, I just wanted to share my frustration with removing a barrel pin. I have tried punching it out with a 3LB hammer. I even went and bought a 12 ton press. I soaked the trunion in Kroil. I then went to the local hardware store and got about 8, 1/4 grade 8 bolts. Hacked the treads off to about 3/4" and the things just bend. One even hit me in the belly Anyways, I was thinking about buying a tungston carbide rod about an inch long and just smaller than the pin diameter and pushing it with that. Short of drilling it out, im running out of ideas.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

check out tailgunners press adaptor, it works great
    American By Birth, Southern By the Grace Of God

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If it is a Romy, welcome to the club. Many here have had little problem with them. I have had to drill them out after all else failed.
    Good Ole Boy from a Good Ole Place

Feedback Score

Well, I gave it another shot. I took a 1/4" drill bit and cut a 4mm peice off from the back. I put the barrel under the press and right before I pull the lever down, I swore at it...and spit at it... and then said a little silent prayer AND ......BONG. The pin broke loose. I was so happy, I punched it the rest of the way out. At that point, I attempted another pin from another Romy and it also broke free. I was unable to finish pushing it all the way through because I got yelled at by my wife..... (she was in bed) Anyways, thanks for your suggestions and tomorrow, I have a third Romy, a Polise Underfolder and a Tantal. I cant wait.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GunGuy1
    I was unable to finish pushing it all the way through because I got yelled at by my wife.....
    Heh heh..

Also, congrats on getting those out!
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, because I am the baddest motherfu$@er in the goddamn valley.

Feedback Score

Default Barrel pin

I had the same problem. Soak the pin for a few days in penetrating oil, you can heat the pin with a torch. Use the smallest punch to start half an inch tall or less and a little smaller in diameter than the pin, this way the punch won't fly out or bend. After the pin goes in some you can use a taller punch to get it the rest of the way out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I just finished the demill on a Romy I got at the last gunshow. The pin pushed out with no problem with a 20 ton press and the barrel was a breeze. The front trunion was full of grease when I pulled off the receiver stub. It may have never been fired. This is my second Romy to demill. I guess I am just lucky on these.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GunGuy1
    I took a 1/4" drill bit and cut a 4mm peice off from the back. I put the barrel under the press and right before I pull the lever down
    that's how I do it too and after about 30 builds I have yet to find a pin I cant bust loose.
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, right on Ken.

2 keys to easier pin removal is to soak for a FEW days prior to the press and starting out with a very short pin for the start and then progress to longer pin for the press through.
    With a third being proper support of the trunion to keep everything level and perpendicular during the press.

NNGL (No New Gun Laws), Keep the Criminals in Prison and leave my Guns alone.

Fords and Chevy's kill more people than guns do, let's ban them.

Pro 2-A, Gun Carrying Conservative, Anglican American

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.