Which Kit to buy?

Thread: Which Kit to buy?

Feedback Score

Default Which Kit to buy?

I have a dilemma. I have raised enough cash to but one more AK kit. I have narrowed my decision down to two. The two are...#1, Yugo long stock stamped kit, grade 2 with nice bore for $189 matching numbers unknown. Or #2, Hungarian FEG SA-85, with some finish wear but excellent bore for $179 with matching numbers. Now, I have many straight and folding kits from other countries (romanian, poland) but none from these ones. I would like to buy the better of the two first then, by summer, if the other is still around, have enough cash to buy it. I guess I should ask...If there were no more parts kits left except one of each of these, and you could only get one, which would you buy and why?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The Yugos seem to be a bit of a crap shoot, but from what I've heard the Hungarians are pretty nice.

The Yugos also limit your receiver choices.
    My vote, the SA-85

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Get the FEG SA-85 first. It'll be in better condition with a far better barrel than you'll get going with a Yugo unless you either get lucky or pay a premium price for a hand select.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score

I just got a FEG SA-85 from CFS. Best kit I have ever seen. Almost no finish wear(and about the best finish I have seen ona parts kit). The bore is absolutely flawless. And the wood was in such decent shape, I didnt even sand it. Just cleaned it and several coats of Tung oil. I am truely impressed with the quality of these kits.

Feedback Score

I just got a FEG SA-85 from CFS. Best kit I have ever seen. Almost no finish wear(and about the best finish I have seen ona parts kit). The bore is absolutely flawless. And the wood was in such decent shape, I didnt even sand it. Just cleaned it and several coats of Tung oil. I am truely impressed with the quality of these kits. It is being built on a GT 1.6mm reciever. This should be one hell of an AK.

Feedback Score

sa-85

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

GET THE FEG. Please - these tend to be VERY good kits for the price. A great number of Yugos are sewer pipes.
    Member KCA

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If you can hand pick your Yugo, and like them the best, then go Yugo. Otherwise, like previously stated by others, get the SA 85, and you'll be happy!
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It appears that the SA85 is in the lead ! I've never seen an SA85 kit in the flesh, but I've seen pictures. They're minty, from what I've seen.

This is a toughie, but I would probably choose the SA85, simply because it has a chrome lined bore. Don't get me wrong, I *LOVE* the Yugoslavian AKM's. They're very unique, and I absolutely love the way they're over-engineered. But.... the SA85 has strong points too. Mostly the chrome-lined barrel.
    Я люблю работать с очень большими молотками
    Yuh nah waste out yuh chance fi paint di town red,
    Cause when yuh buss it up, a fi mek Babylon fled
    And uh respect rasta livety yuh nah dis no dread

Feedback Score

Thanks for the replies. I think im gonna go with the SA-85.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.