Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cut and Paste Yugo

Feedback Score

Default Cut and Paste Yugo

Probably won't do this again...lots of time and tinkering. Reconstructed a milled reciever from scratch using a piece of 1"x2" tubing. ($5.00 at the steel shop) Planed one short side of the tubing to approach the beginnings of the top rails, then split the tubing length ways. Cut the opposite end not planed which left just enough for the side walls. The 1/8th tubing comes close to the original, but it left the interior deminsions tight, but OK. The good news is ITS DONE and IT SHOOTS GREAT! Matched up 4 different torch cuts. C-clamped angle iron for straight edge to keep the top rail straight. "Truth time #1" shows how far off I was getting the bolt carrier into the gas tube. "Truth stretched" shows heating on one side to align bolt carrier with my 285 lbs pushing (three times) in a vise with one hand and oxy-acy torch in the other til it all lined up. Didn't bust any welds either. Plenty of chances to fail on this one, my 4th build. Had to cope with the process as it presented itself. Even tho over 1/2 of the reciever area is Idaho made, probably won't count as a compliance part unless there is a "round-up" rule to the next whole digit of one part. Tools... a Lincoln Mig, bench grinder, 4.5 inch hand grinder, dremil and drill press, ...lots of files.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I had been raised on Marx, Engels and Lenin. They were my gods. But now, in my last moments, my mind turned to the God whom I did not know." Sergei Kourdakov, THE PERSECUTOR

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

OMG! that is freaking great! However I must warn you there is some question about if it's legal, you might want to remove the post and repost some questions. Remember the BATF rule about once a machine gun always a machine gun. I also know after it demilled it's no longer a gun and just considered to be so many parts but the rules are conflicting and contadictaory sometimes. But better safe than sorry.
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

As I understand, It now is a US made semi-auto reciever and counts towards parts compliance.

BTW. Great looking job. I always wanted to build a milled reciever AK that way, but never have ...yet..nice work!!!!!

Feedback Score

Great great job! And working with minimal tooling too!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

That is plain fantastic
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Excellent job. I also have a couple that, like most everyone else, I am planning to do. The difference is, you actually did it. And yes, its legal.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I do not know about legalities .. BUT WOW it looke great !! very nice work!!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Lets see some more pics I am anxious for more...
    Great job.

Throbbing Member scheistermeister's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_M4
    Lets see some more pics I am anxious for more...
    Great job.
    x2! thats pretty cool, id like to see the whole thing

Feedback Score

Default more assembly cut and past

some more beginning stuff. Mostly tack welding parts pieces until everything is as straight as can be for the final scald. I used another piece of 1/8" steel for the void where the trigger went and then welded on the outside, knowing how precious the space was on the inside where the trigger and hammer axis have to sit. Even with this approach, I still had to dig a slight canal under the hammer axis so the spring loop action would not be incumbered. After thought says I should have used thinner plate for the trigger floor space. Because of the space taken by the 1/8" floor and the outside weld, I could not then use the selector stop. The mag release lever fit good without it and I would have had to extend the end of the mag release lever otherwise. Instead of the selector stop, I drilled a shallow divot at the proper point in the selector arc which works just fine. I'll do another post of the later assembly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I had been raised on Marx, Engels and Lenin. They were my gods. But now, in my last moments, my mind turned to the God whom I did not know." Sergei Kourdakov, THE PERSECUTOR

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.