Gunco Forums banner

bolt/carrier question

499 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MrJayJay 
#1 ·
i was wondering if a little side to side play with the bolt carrier is normal. i got a nds-3 recever and i got it built up just wondering if its normal/ok if the bolt/carrier moves side to side a little.

#2 ·
MrJayJay said:
i was wondering if a little side to side play with the bolt carrier is normal. i got a nds-3 recever and i got it built up just wondering if its normal/ok if the bolt/carrier moves side to side a little.
I have checked the side movement on a lot of different ak's at gun shows most have movement and a few had a lot of movement .I think these ak's we build are very forgiving for parts fit that's why they are so reliable .Now if you check my bushnasty a2 it is like a watch but they do have a history of jams a lot of post at the ar side of the forum,but mine never jams (knock on wood):rofl:

#5 ·
Side to side movement is not a big deal, if not excessive. You want to make sure that the movement is consistent thru out though. When the bolt moves down the rails it needs to be straight not weaving in and out, this will cause binding. So some slop is good. You don?t however want so much slop that the bolt can come off the rails, this would be bad slop. I don?t use a jig as some folks do for rail measurement. I start with the maximum rail width and file tile I get a nice fit. Remember its always easy to take metal off, but very hard to put it back on.

Also look at your front trunnion location. Notice how the rails intersect with the trunnion. This should be nice and even on both sides so you don?t have excessive pressure on your piston from the rear sight block. If your rails are wide one side and narrow on the other you will have binding when the bolt is forward on lockup.

#9 ·
test fired the rifle today it shot like a dream only had one jam and it was beaucse the magazine was messing up. im in california and thanks to the new changes i was able to get my hands on a recever from dci. fixed 10 round magazine is pritty easy to load but the damn mag i had kept catching the follower and jaming it into the magazine body. the 2nd one i had didnt have this problem thank god :). i used u-drives for the 4 front truion holes and riveted the lower two and rear truion. damn i wish i wasnt in ca now, this rifle is way to much fun. fired 100 rounds and it was damn freezing at the range i go to. was snowing quite nice :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.