Gunco Forums banner

$69 Milled Yugo kit - Weld Pak Build

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  HeritageMX 
#1 ·
With all the crazy drama around here I thought I would post a build.

Starting with a cheapo milled yugo I made up this collection of parts into a neat little gun. This kit was a little different in that it's previous owner did believe in cleaning his gun. The good news is most of the barrel was very good. The bad news was that the muzzle was worn out from his cleaning rod.

So I shortened the barrel and pinned and welded a a 74 style brake to bring it back up to legal length.

The receiver is one of those weld paks that you have seen around here.

The stock came from the junk pile, an old ASA made in Santa Anna, CA from god knows when. I made a billet aluminum adaptor to fit it.

See less See more
#5 ·
In regards to the weld pak receiver. I can say that it is dimensionaly correct and everything is in the right place. I don't know if the ones out there are all the same but the ones I saw pictured here looked the same as mine.

I do not think that this is a very good Idea for a begining welder or gunsmith for that matter. There are many easier ways to make a receiver. I made a fixture to hold this thing while I slowly tig welded it togeather. let it cool between sessions and was very careful about the heat. It still wanted to move a little but I stuck it in the press and pushed it back flat again.

I had to mill out some places like the inside trigger area and on the inside of the selector. Counter sunk the pins and added some support for the selector and pins on the other side.

I milled the old front receiver section(milled gun) down to 1.25 so it fit into the new receiver and used a yugo fixed trunion in the back. I cut a slit in the bottom of the reciever from the rear to the grip hole and clamped it down on the narrower rear trunion then rewelded the seam. made a very nice little tapered section that resolves some of the top cover fitting issues

Like I said, not exactly easy but not real hard either. Now that it's done I'm glad I did it this way because it feels like I could drive in fence posts with it...

#6 ·
I used 1 1/4 " copper bar stock and a lot of clamps. The copper seemed to take up a lot of the heat. Instead of trying to weld on little strips for the top rails, I welded on a full side to side top piece & then trimmed it out for the top rails. I havent used it yet...I just wanted to try welding one up.

#9 ·
I got a box of these un-welded stamped receiver parts a while back in a trade. Not sure how the guy who traded them to me came into them, I think he or someone he knows may have originaly had something to do with making these things in the first place. Like I said they did look exactly like the ones that were posted here for sale.

#10 ·
I didn't see how you'd done the top rails..?

Did you drill holes through and plug the lowers in place?

I ended with the cover cut down and riding on top. That way on the front of yours then lapped in the rear?

#11 ·
The top rails are some .050 chromoly strip trimmed to fit and drop down in the little steps on the top. I just trimed them to inset a little and fused the edge with no filler. Made a nice strong round weld.

Yes, the lower rails are drilled and roset welded in. I did tack them in place from the inside before finishing them from the outside.

The top cover.. because of the taper in the rear and the radius on the welded top line it was close but not quite a fit. So I cut a small slit up both back corners, up to the first step. Put the cover in the press with a small section of 1 5/8 tube on the inside and widened it slightly at the bottom. Then I just welded up the now slightly pie shaped slits and file/sanded them smooth. Looks totaly stock again, now it fits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.