Reproduction FEG SA-85M

Thread: Reproduction FEG SA-85M

Lurking Troll Camper UrbanCountryBumpkin's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Postak Reproduction FEG SA-85M

I completed my first flat build (after a 100% and a couple of bent blanks). I practiced (and ruined) a couple other flats before getting a receiver I liked. I then bent up Gune&Didit's marked flat (see http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25799 ) and got to work. Total build time including demill & refinishing (which wasn't much for the SA 85 kit as the receiver was completely removed and there is only one long rivet) was about ten hours. I left the kit parts exactly like there came-- they had a nice worn and used look. I may competely refinish at a future date. The receiver was refinished with Alumahyde II in Matte Black with a healthy covering of Break-free CLP. Despite the outwards appearances, the bore is mirror shiney and is one of the best I've seen. This was a Centerfire "hand pick" whereby hand pick, I think they meant, "the first rifle we grabbed plus an accessory kit."

I hadn't yet filled in the lettering on the above pictures. I dug through the kids drawers until I found a white crayon and got to work. I'm leaving the "Made in Hungary" sticker on the stock because it goes so well.

Open up the receiver cover, take out the spring and fire the hammer and you can see Gune&Didit's "Made in the USA / Replica Firearm" disclaimer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Excellent job. I like the fact that you left the wood original.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Great job! I like the authentic look, cool "Made In Hungry" sticker

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Lookin good! Is that one of those flats that one feller was making? What do you use to color in the letters? I just finished my SA85. Restored to like new condition. I'm going to make a AMD63 clone out of the other one.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default It's all in the first post!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmysac
    Is that one of those flats that one feller was making? What do you use to color in the letters?
    Yes. White crayon followed with a cotton cloth wipe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow I didnt know the White crayon would do such a good job. Does it melt off when you fire it?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanCountryBumpkin
    Yes. White crayon followed with a cotton cloth wipe
    Duh, forgot to read between the purdy pictures

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by driswalds
    Wow I didnt know the White crayon would do such a good job. Does it melt off when you fire it?
    Don't know yet! I'd probably know already if I didn't have two kids jumping and crying all over me as we speak.
    Plus I'm tired.

Hopefully later this week. This one was built while the wife and kids were away. Now that they're back I have no time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Range Report

Took the SA-85 out to the range. Not my smoothest build, but neither the worst. During a 100rd shoot, I had 2 stove pipes, 5 FTF where the bolt just passed right over the ammo, 4 FTF where the ammo got caught underneath the bolt while feeding and 4 cases of the bolt failing to close. This build has mildly tight headspace. I believe I could stand to file the rails down a hair to aid in smoothing cycling, and it appears I need to get the mag to move up. My trigger rivets are not very tight so there's a place to start. Also mag and ammo made a difference. Yugo mags = good, east german and romanian mags = bad. FMJ = good. HP = bad. All ammo was Wolf.

I ended up at the range with only my computer/reading glasses so I couldn't shoot with iron sights past 50 yards. From a bench rest in the 25 yard range I was getting 2-4" 3-shot groups. Very pleased with that. This is my tightest grouping 7.62 AK yet (between 2 Romies and the Hungy).

After sighting in fairly close, I stood up and fired from the shoulder 30 rounds, as quick as I could aim. From 25 yards:

White crayon held fast-- no melting there.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.