Yugo front trunnion riveting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yugo front trunnion riveting

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Question Yugo front trunnion riveting

I searched, but didn't come up with all the info needed.

What's the story on doing the front trunnion rivet of a Yugo receiver since it's a long rivet, but not suitable for handling with the Plinker long rivet tool given the bulged trunnion? Rivet set and hammer?
    Last edited by RetVet; 05-09-2006 at 01:01 PM.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Are you talking about the long through rivet?? I took a piece of bar stock and filed the corner to mate with the curve on the trunnion/reciever bulge by the rivet, and put a dimple for the rivet head in it so that it will seat/line-up when you mash it with the press. Worked pretty good.
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Yes, this is the long through rivet. My concern is not messing up the bulged shape of the receiver/trunnion
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I cut a chamfer on the formed head plate to clear the curve of the receiver shoulder. For the other side of the receiver I cut a chamfer on the plunger/press such that it would also clear the curve of the shoulder. When seating the press on the shoulder, you can use a spacer the same height as the shoulder to give the press a flat surface to seat the press washer.

If this doesn't make any sense and your interested I can take some photos of the mods I did to Plinkers jig for this application. Works fine

BTW - any word on the BHO parts. Nothing so far from here

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I think I've got the picture and take it that you're using a plinker long rivet type jig to do this front rivet. Seems I spend more time working up or modifying tools these days than building rifles LOL!

Still no BHO parts here either. I'll give them to the end of the week then go from there.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

post some pics please
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Another way is to take the dimpled pieces used with the bolt cutters or Plinker's jig and position them on either side.

The squeeze can be with vise or press.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sounds like everybodys saying the same thing 3 different ways...

I wouldn't worry about deforming the bulge, they're pretty tough to bend to begin with, and with enough clearance it'll be just fine. Mine kind of rode the slope of the bulge down a bit till it seated. Didn't affect the reciever at all. Like Illya said... a dimpled piece on the bottom to accomodate the existing rivet head, another piece the same thickness on the bottom to give it something to rest on, and a dimpled piece on top to do the forming.
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Winn;
    How do you keep the preformed head against the receiver while forming the head on the other end? Just push the receiver that direction while squeezing in on the vise ?

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin
    Winn;
    How do you keep the preformed head against the receiver while forming the head on the other end? Just push the receiver that direction while squeezing in on the vise ?
    My standard method of problem solving -- excessive force.

Actually they're generally started with an hammer on an anvil. After a minute or two they start to form.

A couple of old pieces of lathe tooling cut with a ball end hold the receiver hump away while it gets stuck in the press. Pretty much use the same stuff on the cross member and rear through rivets.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak yugo bulged riveting

how to rivet yugo bulged trunnion

third trunnion rivet

yugo bulged trunnion rivet tool

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.