Gunco Forums banner

Black RPKS-74 complete

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  hk1123 
#1 ·
Finished up basic build of black plastic RPKS-74. Off to the range with this one. Then pin FSB and final color matching.

I like this one. :biggrin:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
RPKS folder rear trunnion is sorta like AKS-74 with the front latch mixed in. The hook is on the left side of the receiver and latches the butt in the folded position but the hook is part of the rear trunnion assembly. The slider (silver part in bottom photo) engages the slot on the right side of the receiver to retain the butt in the open position. The receiver has a hole cut into the right side of the receiver such that you can manually push the slider in case the latching mechanism has a failure - like a manual override.

Still plenty of room for just one more. I think I'm starting to get a case of builder's burnout and need a building break for a couple of months or so.

Attachments

#10 ·
Don't know about comparison in accuracy yet - haven't fired it yet. I'd guess it's about the same as AK-74 and AK-74. We'll see and I'll post results.

M95 - still holding out on Harlan - waiting to see how it all plays out still. Other projects in the meantime.

I did a couple of FALs a while back. One was a pretty nice G1 I picked up from Tapco. Remember when Tapco had all the FAL kits? Those were prime FAL times. Have a couple of Imbel receivers waiting for assembly. Also a primo STG kit but want to use a DSA on it - probably a Type 1. STG kit receiver stub was a type 1. I like buillding FALs. Difficulty level seems to be somewhere between piecing together an AR-15 and building up an AK especially when the FAL barrel times correct on the first try :)

Maybe I'll just do another Romy. I have a push button sidefolder kit with wood already refinished that just needs to be riveted together......................on second thought, I think I'd rather pop a cold one and just kick back for a while.

#15 ·
An old buddy of mine sent me that video along with this text;

Subject: 600 Nitro Express Handgun

You'll get a "kick" out of this one. Read before you view the attachment....
You may have to watch Recoil twice. Try to follow the gun. This video is basically a "show and tell" custom built on a Thompson Encore (fancy version of the Thompson Contender). The Caliber... 600 Nitro Express. That's right...an elephant gun round in a handgun. The story goes that the guy that built it is some kind of custom gun maker, and built this as an exhibition piece. He takes it to the range with him just to show it off, and the big guy that shot it (in the video) had been bugging the builder to let him shoot it. Now think about this...only until fairly recently (early-mid '80's IIRC) the 600 Nitro Express was hands down the biggest, nastiest, hardest hitting, and heaviest recoiling weapon you could buy. It was designed for one simple purpose...to knock an elephant flat on his butt. IMO, it was really built as an exhibition piece for guys "compensating"...this cartridge is known for breaking collarbones, arms, shoulders...of the shooter! Think about this, in the gun world they use what is termed as a "recoil index" to kind of give prospective buyers an idea of what a gun kicks like.
A .30-06 gets a rating of a 1.0, which for many people is about the limit of what they can shoot multiple rounds thru comfortably. A 243 is rated at like a .4, a .270 was like a .8, etc. The ..600 Nitro Express is rated at a 9.4...9.4 times more punishing power than a 30-06. Now watch the video...

#20 ·
Illya Kuryakin said:
Still plenty of room for just one more. I think I'm starting to get a case of builder's burnout and need a building break for a couple of months or so.
Yeah when you get that feeling - just go ahead and clean up the bench (yuck) and take a break. Or look at something COMPLETELY different like a belt-fed kit, or a custom conversion or something completely stupid like a G3 pistol :)

Or just kick back and enjoy summer. Corona, bikinis and a beach - sound good? One rule, however - bikinis only on the women! :thumbup1:

#22 ·
Hadn't put final finish on it yet. Just shot the unfinished parts with some shit paint I had lying around the house - didn't want to go to the range to test fire with a Frankenstein looking piece part rifle. The range master gives me the evil eye every time I do so and checks the rifle out real well. Living in the big city sucks at times - would be cool in the country to test fire from my own porch.

Still need to test fire then pin the final barrel components. Can you tell I hate going to a public range :grumble:

Probably will use gunkote flat or semi as final finish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.