How to Match Bakelite Color?

Thread: How to Match Bakelite Color?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default How to Match Bakelite Color?

I am making molds to make plastic stock sets for myself that count as US parts.

What can I paint them with that will stick to plastic, look like bakelite and handle gun solvents?

I can heat them by putting them in a locked car in the sun for several hours to help cure a paint if that helps. I think the over is not an option since it would melt the plastic.

I am going to try first mixing a little blue with more red die when I cast them but I'm not sure I can get a consistant color and match.

I have already made molds for the pistol grip, and upper and lower handguard, I haven't started on the buttstock yet or a Tantal upper handguard.

I know I can buy a US stock set for less than my molds but I am making Pink stock sets for my daughters and then some black ones for me as well as trying for the bakelite finish. Making multiple sets should make my investment in the molds worth while.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

you would get better results by mixing the color in the plastic, since that is how are originally made........but I guess you can always try that spray paint that is suppose to bond to plastic, but off hand I don't know how durable that would be, or what colors it comes in
    "I can make this march, and make georgia howl!"

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What sort of plastic casting resin are you using? I ask because www.smooth-on.com sells a polyurethane resin along with dyes that should be perfect for what you are wanting to do.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have some of the smooth-on resin but the question was how to get the color match? I also have dyes but is it trail and error making sets that don't come close. That would use a lot of plastic to practice on. For example do I use a little blue with 3 times as much red?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

won't blue and red make purple? just asking...
    IF YOU RUN, YOU'LL ONLY DIE TIRED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If you have a phenolic bakelite color you are tryin to capture, thats going to be hard, because of the variations in the colors from light brown to almost black. [like the grip off a Romanian kit] If you are after a more uniform color, and are after say, and East German brown, then thats just a matter of taking the dye [brown and yellow and a touch of black] mixing until you have the color you like, and then putting than into the resin as you mix the two parts together. [usually with part 'B' mixed first, then add part 'A']

Send us a pic and let's see what we can come up with.

Jim

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Brown and Yellow with a touch of black gave me a very nice desert tan look.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.