Gunco Forums banner

"fold by hand" ak receivers

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
I saw these receiver flats that you can supposedly fold "by hand" and tig weld afterwards. They are being sold on gunbroker.com for $79.99. Does anyone have any experience with them and if so do you recommend them for a first time build? I am a bit hesitant to buy them because I am afraid they might not be strong enough, plus they are kind of pricy.

My second alternative would be getting a receiver blank. Which works the best for romanian kit? Also do you need to harden them after drilling all the holes?

Any input is greately appreciated.

Thank you!

#3 ·
At that price you can get a finished reciever, which is probably the best way to go for a first time build. If you decide you want a bunch of different builds a bending jig and flats makes sense, though you'll need a shop press to bend them.

Factory recievers are fully hardened, which needs a heat treating oven. The majority of home builds have the FCG pin holes spot hardened. You can do that with a MAPP gas (not propane) plumber's torch, commonly available at building supply stores.

#10 ·
555th said:
If you can weld, the u-bendems can be built without a shop press or a flat bending jig. Most people that build on 80% recievers, use the stamped flats and a bending jig.
And hundreds, if not thousands, are thankful to you for your help in this area.:thumbup1:

#13 ·
If you can not own one In NYC with a FFL'd reciver what makes you think it is OK to build one?? Asking for advice here so you can break the law is not cool. It gives this site a bad name and puts this hobby at risk. not sure what your laws are but getting caught with a illeagle built assult weapon can get 10 years easy taking it in the ass. Any one who would spend more for a flat than can get a reciver& FFL'd into there name is always suspicious to me. I am not a big fan of fire arms registration but If I can get a reciver that can be some day legaly sold, cheaper than I could build it for I would be a fool not to. If you are on the up and up I recomend a bent blank over a bend and weld. If you can not leagly own a fire arm do every one a favor and dont tarnish the rep's of those who are lucky enough to still be able to by getting caught with one you got advice on how to do from here!

#14 ·
1biggun said:
If you can not own one In NYC with a FFL'd reciver what makes you think it is OK to build one?? Asking for advice here so you can break the law is not cool. It gives this site a bad name and puts this hobby at risk. not sure what your laws are but getting caught with a illeagle built assult weapon can get 10 years easy taking it in the ass. Any one who would spend more for a flat than can get a reciver& FFL'd into there name is always suspicious to me. I am not a big fan of fire arms registration but If I can get a reciver that can be some day legaly sold, cheaper than I could build it for I would be a fool not to. If you are on the up and up I recomend a bent blank over a bend and weld. If you can not leagly own a fire arm do every one a favor and dont tarnish the rep's of those who are lucky enough to still be able to by getting caught with one you got advice on how to do from here!
Ditto...Or get the hell out of NYC.

#15 ·
1biggun said:
take it easy, guys. I am not planning to build a working model. I just want a cool looking conversation piece, that's all.

#16 ·
npugypok said:
take it easy, guys. I am not planning to build a working model. I just want a cool looking conversation piece, that's all.
You can get a fake receiver from Sportsman's Guide made from polymer, looks the same, just doesn't function.
It will keep the Feds. and local LE happy(?) or at least content.
Sorry you can't have a real one.

#18 ·
I am a bit hesitant to buy them because I am afraid they might not be strong enough,
If you are only building a copy why would you care how stong it is

Also do you need to harden them after drilling all the holes?
If you are not going to shot it why would you care about harding the holes??

FURTHER MORE IF YOU BEND A RECIVER BLANK( bend by hand or a Tapco style) OR DRILL HOLES IN A BENT BLANK or IT IS NOW CONSIDERD A FIREARM WEATHER YOU BOLT ONE SINGLE PART ON IT!!
I am very skeptical of you intentions first you ask the strength of a blank and about harding the holes then you claim that you have no intentions of building a reciver. You are either completly oblivios to the law, or you are trying to cover your tracks. I very seldom question some ones intentions and I hope I am wrong but some thing dont smell right. further more I have no doubt that the feds are looking at all the gun sites for any terriost crap so watch your ass buy a fake reciver or buy a AK copy. Buying the reciver blank and bending it will get you ass thrown in Jail!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.