homebuilt milled receiver
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: homebuilt milled receiver

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Default homebuilt milled receiver *pics added*

First off I'm no photographer so I will apologize in advance for the quality of the pics. I have more so I'll try to post more of the finished product later.

This is the torch cut milled stub

The left side plate

The right side plate

Filing..

ignore the "v" shaped paint line.. Also this is a bit of an illusion, the lower edge is straight but needs to be filed to the same contour as the stub

You can see the rear weld before cleaning

The pencil lines don't indicate the "bad" hole just the rear of the closed bolt.

I'll post more later when I figure out the camera better. This costs about $50 for the plates at a local machine shop and looks better than the pictures indicate. I think the flash really shows the flaws you don't normally see. Also the RPK kit looks good like this too.

Almost forgot.. two big thumbs up to Scott at DPH arms for the great kits.
    Last edited by vz58; 11-01-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Feedback Score

Keep the pics coming 58!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

vz58 - It is looking good. And welcome to Gunco!

Also I went in to your post and made it so the pics would show up without having to click on a link.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

What type steel did you use? Were your lightening cuts intact on the reciever stub? All my kits are cut through the lightening grooves.
    Oh.................Great work, keep the pics coming and thank you for the show and tell!!!!!!!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

most excellent job, anxious to see how it all comes out.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I saw these first hand tonight, they are really nice. They look like true milled receivers.
    Good work vz!!!

Scott

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Bradrock, I was fortunate enough to get 3 underfolders from DPH with the cuts intact.

My RPK from centerfire did not have it intact (luck o the draw).

If the cut is not intact you can prob have a machine shop cut a similar one for you on the finished product. The RPK (picture to come) you can tell there is something not quite right at the rear of the cut, but 95% of people will not even notice. I might even have to nick it up to match the rest of the gun.

You can use 4130 or 1018 steel. Of course the wear resistance is greater on 4130but it is more expensive and slightly harder to mig weld. 1018 should do well if you lube your gun occasionally.

I'll post the pictures of the "blueprints", jig and step by step stuff later this week if there is interest and when I can get a connection faster than 14K.

This really is easy to do if you can mig or tig weld.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58
    Bradrock, I was fortunate enough to get 3 underfolders from DPH with the cuts intact.

My RPK from centerfire did not have it intact (luck o the draw).

If the cut is not intact you can prob have a machine shop cut a similar one for you on the finished product. The RPK (picture to come) you can tell there is something not quite right at the rear of the cut, but 95% of people will not even notice. I might even have to nick it up to match the rest of the gun.

You can use 4130 or 1018 steel. Of course the wear resistance is greater on 4130but it is more expensive and slightly harder to mig weld. 1018 should do well if you lube your gun occasionally.

I'll post the pictures of the "blueprints", jig and step by step stuff later this week if there is interest and when I can get a connection faster than 14K.

This really is easy to do if you can mig or tig weld.
    Thanks, I've got a horizontal mill and correct cutters for the groove. I also have the 4130 plate and special mig wire for it. I just have too many irons in the fire to do it all at once. I've got five different weld-up type builds going at once ( Bren, milled RPK, milled M70, DP28)and jump from one to another. I like to do a little work and a LOT of thinking!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

Great job rebuilding the milled receiver. I am very impressed!
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Vz,

Panaceabeachbum did some stuff he was looking for ATF approval on, sent the side plates and his semi auto conversion stuff for them to look at. You guys should hook up on that..... Yeah, by all means fill us in on the details... and thanks for posting your progress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.