Need help with trigger guard rivets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with trigger guard rivets

Feedback Score

Default Need help with trigger guard rivets

I'm in the process of doing my first build. I'm using a Romanian kit and an NDS-3 "economy" receiver. The rivets are from ak-builder.com. I'm using one of Frank's (aka plinker762) trigger guard riveters. Here's a picture of everything setup in my HF 20ton press:

Here's the end result:

I pressed the rivets per the instructions. I noticed that the rear rivet flattened significantly more than the front rivets. Yes, I did use the correct short rivet on the rear. After taking things appart, I ended up turning around the part of the trigger guard riveter that has the dimples for the four rivet heads. This is because there are two sets of four dimples on opposite ends of the piece. One appears shallower than the other. I figured that perhaps not using the shallower dimples was making it so the rivet wouldn't fully flatten. I pressed again, but there still doesn't appear to be enough flattening of the front four rivets. I think that I definitely pressed enough. As a matter of fact, I may have gone too far because there is now an ever so slight bow in the receiver just above the trigger guard reinforcement. I compared the amount of flattening to factory rivets from a Romanian demilled kit and a factory Romanian WUM1 AK. Both were significantly flatter. Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate how the rivets have flattened:

How can I flatten these front four rivets more without messing up my receiver? I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Oops, I see that I put this post in the wrong forum. If someone could move it to the BIY forum, I'd really appreciate it.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Looks like your " Good to Go" in my opinion. I'd leave well enough alone if everything is good and tight.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

I think the rear rivet is flatter because you are putting the same pressure on that one rivit, as you are spreading over four rivits in the front. You might have to press only one front rivit at a time if you reaally do feel the need to mash them flatter.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm not sure what problem you are having. Is the triggerguard and selector stop assembly tight against the bottom of the receiver? Are the pre-formed heads on the outside flat against the triggerguard? Is everything tight to where it doesn't move when you try to wiggle it? If the answer to all these questions is yes, you don't have a problem.

If all you want to do is flatten the inside heads some more, I wouldn't recommend it. You are already up against the sidewalls, any flatter and the sidewalls will dimple outward when the head flattens.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

They look good to me. Moving the ram closer to the front rivets will put less force on the rear rivet. If doing another trigger guard, you could set the front two rivets and the rear rivet first and then the second row. But again, those look fine to me and pretty close to the ones on the original Romy trigger guards.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

They look fine from the inside.
    I can't really see the outside very well, but if everything is tight and flush (which it appears to be) you done good.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39
    They look fine from the inside.
    I can't really see the outside very well, but if everything is tight and flush (which it appears to be) you done good.
    I agree that looks fine. You have no idea how long the Romanian riverts were before the crushed them. Shorter rivets would result in a flatter head.
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger

Feedback Score

Thanks for all the replies. Everything is definitely nice and tight. As long as there's no possibility for things to work loose, then I guess that I'm fine. Perhaps I was just seeing bugers in my oatmeal. Is there a way to remove the slight bow in the receiver between the rivets? You can kind of see it in the last picture. I'm afraid that it might make the magazines loose in the rear.

I have one more question. In regard to the tool piece that goes under the receiver, why are there two sets of dimples on both ends with one set appearing shallower than the other?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

i DONT THINK THE BOW WILL AFFECT ANYTHING
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bret

I have one more question. In regard to the tool piece that goes under the receiver, why are there two sets of dimples on both ends with one set appearing shallower than the other?
    One set of dimples is for the 5/32" US rivets the other is for the metric OE style rivets. Their heads are slightly different

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.