Helping with my first AK Build

Thread: Helping with my first AK Build

Feedback Score

Default Helping with my first AK Build

Last night I kinda helped with my first AK build.

I have a friend that is building one. He won't listen to anyone that has studied it and hasn't studied the techniques discussed anywhere himself. But he still thinks he can do it without direction.

Good thing he is using a prebuilt reciever. So I doubt he can mess it up too bad.

Last night we spent 6 hours just drilling the rivets and he egged two holes because he wasn't grinding the rivets flush and punching them first. We told him from the start that he had to grind them flat first. We even showed him several tutorials saying the same thing.

But he knew better than the two guys in the room that had actually studied a little. One guy had helped with builds before.

We will see how it turns out.

I'm not going to waste my time documenting something that isn't done right from the get go. If we build one for me I will take photos.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

MMAI -Modern Martial Arts Initiative

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." --Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think we ALL have a "special friend" who is stubborn like that!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    I think we ALL have a "special friend" who is stubborn like that!
    What continues to piss me off is that he asks me for help and then acts like he knows what he is doing.

His only retort is that he has an AK kit and we don't. So we should shut up.

He also thinks he is a better shot. But blames it on the gun when he isn't. Oh well, doesn't matter. I still shoot better. I practice between live fires. And it shows.

Last time I took his gun and proved I could do it with the equipment he said made him suck.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." --Henry David Thoreau

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You would think that after he botched the first hole he would have listened to you.
    It's the little things like that, that make the difference between a nice build and a hack job.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I think I could find someone else who's not such a jerk to be friends with.
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Robert, i think we all have friends like that. It makes you wont to tare your hair out. Get him to join GUNCO, maby just maby he will take someones advice, and not have a piece of junk, he calls an AK.
    New World Order Money (AMMO)

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Maybe you could discretely leave the Gunco web address laying around his place. He might check it out without anyone having to know. Or buy him a AK building DVD for Christmas.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score

Nah, he'll build his AK and gloat.

He's my friend because he has always had my back and never backed down.

But he does need to start listening to reason instead of thinking he knows more just because he's the first one to get his kit.

Mine will go together faster and better. And I will actually do a "real" build.

He bought his reciever ready made. All he had to do was knock out the old rivets and fit the parts in. We should have and would have had it alldone last night if he had just listened.

Plus he wouldn't let us help him by grinding down the rivets ahead of his drilling. Why? Because then he's not the one building it.

He kept telling me I didn't know what I was talking about because I had never built one. Shit, at least I ask the people who have first.

He does make me mad. But he has always been there when it counts.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by chrry
    Robert, i think we all have friends like that. It makes you wont to tare your hair out. Get him to join GUNCO, maby just maby he will take someones advice, and not have a piece of junk, he calls an AK.
    He has the site address. He just chooses to do things his way.

He knows better than the experts on everything he messes up. If only his dad had kicked his butt more when he was young. Damn liberal parenting.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

Feedback Score

UPDATE:

Spent the last two nights helping out with the AK Build.

He has come around. His zeal has worn out and he realises he needs help. So he is letting my advice sink in.

Plus I helped him with a big problelm tonight.

Last night, our progress ended abruptly when he snapped the tap off inside the barrel trunnion. When he ground down the tip he did it too fast and overheated the tap.

When I told him I figured that would happen. He ask why I didn't say anything. I told him it was because he didn't need my help.

Tonight I removed the broken tap and taught him how to keep his hammer spring out of the way with a small zip tie, so he could install the snap ring on the hammer pivot pin.

He was impressed and very happy. As I said, he always has my back. So I have patience. I know he will wear himself out sooner or later and we can get things settled down and done.

On Friday, he will buy a new bit and grind the point down more slowly. Then he will continue to build. In the mean time I helped teach him how to put the folding stock and the FCG together.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.