Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: screws vs rivets

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Postak screws vs rivets

rivets or screws? I want to hear about what the other ak builders on the site like and the pros and cons people have with each

Contriving ak formulator 1catskinner's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I have done both and I like both for there own virtues. To crush the rivets and remake a gun in the image it was originally built, as perfect as it was built in a factory gives great satisfaction and is a very strong job! My last build was with screws and I can take it apart as much as I want and modify it more easily. I think the screws will take the punishment just fine and gives the receiver a real modern detailed appearance but definitely screams “HEY I AM HOME MADE”
    All that which is achieved easily is esteemed lightly !

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

boy , I was going to post in some info here BUT I think catskinner has said most everything you need to know allready.
    I prefer rivets BUt I have never heard of anybody haveing the screws fail either. as ststed above their are guys with one reciever and a couple differant front ends, you cant do this with rivets.
    with a screw build you do not have to pull the barrel if you are carefull, so the job can be done FAST.
    for me personaly the time spent building is the hobby, so I am in no hurry. the extra effort to get perfect rivet heads is a big part of the fun and following pride.
    the only kit I screwed was an AMD65 the only reason I decided to screw it was because I heard a lot of guys posting in how tight the pins and barrels were. I decided not to even try to pull it out. I used button heads, it looks just fine but it dose "scream, home build" as pointed out above.

again I prefer rivets, the only downfall I personaly got from them was in the very beginning when I did not have proper tools to get nice looking mushroom caps for exposed heads. now I have a couple simpal home made tools and the heads come out beautifull.
    all in all build the way you decide is best for you, with the tools you are comfortable useing or makeing. and with what you are satisfied looking at when you are done. a good screw job can look better than a poor rivet job. after all you have to look at it and nobody else rite.
    hope this helps more than it confused you... lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I started with screw builds. After doing 3 and much reading here I pulled my first barrel out. I tried rivets on the next 3 builds, that was OK but as stated above getting rivets smashed just perfect wasn't a priority for me. My next few builds, I'm going back to screw builds but pulling the barrel also. It makes tapping all the holes easy. As for the "made at home " look, well that is something I'm proud of, they may not be perfect but their mine!

Have fun!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah the screw builds are a "modern" look and dont take that long, but i still always remove the barrel.. it just makes it so much easier to tap and so on... but you dont have to, as long as you have a flat tap.

as to the rivets: im gonna try one just to see if i can get the heads to be pretty, but want to make sure that there is nothing i ever want to change before i do.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You're screwed if you don't use rivets. It's how the AK God intended these to be built

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

More than two ways to skin a cat, Udrives set in epoxy, fast, looks like rivets. No sqweezin, no deformed heads. no broken taps

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by randr
    More than two ways to skin a cat, Udrives set in epoxy, fast, looks like rivets. No sqweezin, no deformed heads. no broken taps
    ok im an idiot.... totally lost, but interested in this way. spill your guts!!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I do most my builds with screws but I am always playing with feed ramps and doing calibur conversions and I like to be able to take things apart. my varmit build will need a new barrel some day and will be a lot easier to re barrel it screwd together. If it is your first build go with screws, but pull the barrel it,s easer in the long run IMOA. a screw build can always be rivited later down the road if you wish. If you want to hide the fact that its a screw buyild a little jb weld in the hex holes will hid them as screws (painted coatings only no bluing). if you are going to be doing a high priced kit that needs to look original then you should riviet it with the proper tools made to do the job.
    I am not a big fan of udrives or using epoxy to hold firearms together how ever there are guys reporting good luck so each his own. there are guys welding the trunions in as well, it may work but it will not be considerd a quality build in most circles. I have seen some epoxies used in the auto body repair bussines that are susposedly stronger than the metal they glue together. I would not be surprised if it could be used to glue a trunion into a reciver with out any screws or rivets. I will let some one else try it first though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My first build is going to be a real mess....both. I am scewing on the front and riveting the rear. I guess the best way to put it is i'm trying to learn both ways on the roughest kit I bought so I can get the mistakes out before I move to my better kits.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.