trunions out of milled reciever?

Thread: trunions out of milled reciever?

Contriving ak formulator 1catskinner's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default trunions out of milled reciever?

I just finshed assy of my yugo rpk kit from centerfire. I took the milled reciever parts and ground the sides down .050 thousands, cut grooves for the top rails and just basically turned these big hunks of flame cut steel into front and rear trunions. I have screwed this one together and I am as proud as a new father! Has any one else tried cutting these things into trunions??????
    Now Just one little problem of the bolt carrier traveling back, traveling up and then locking onto the top rails!!!! Does this critter need a bolt buffer to limit its travel???
    Any ideas please help!!! Sorry no pictures yet. (kind of computer dum that way) Will get a friend to help me post some
    All that which is achieved easily is esteemed lightly !

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

look on ar15.com under ak-47 then build it yourself then $210 rpk you will see a post on what you have done.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I made a Yugo pistol with a cut milled reciever. I trimmed it to make a front trunion. You can put in a bolt buffer, but can't be too thick,1/10 to .25, as the Yugo action is shorter and might not work right. Is the bolt riding on the hammer hard when it locks up on rails? If so, Remove material from hammer or change to a single hook CENTURY trigger, which will allow your hammer to lock in lower, which would not force bolt-carrer to lock up on rails. Also recheck u/rails width. Remove bolt, check carrier looseness on U/rails. Carrier should slide easly, but very little side play. If excessive side play, place a flat edge on each side of reciever, to see if it is bowing out on eather side. Mark bow, bend reciever in it remove bow. Protect rec. from scratches. These are the problems that i have incountered,and fixes, when building AKs. Welcome to Gunco, i hope you like it here. Paul
    New World Order Money (AMMO)

Contriving ak formulator 1catskinner's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Hey Paul! Thanks for giving me some info on where to look. I am certain the bolt is really pulling back hard on the hammer. I did not know about the other trigger options that will lower the hammer position. I will grind or buy a trigger and I will look more closely at my rails. I did not think that a buffer would have been the best solution but I was running out of ideas.
    P.S. I really feel like I have friends with a common interest at this web site and it has for sure been the best research area for me to come too.
    All that which is achieved easily is esteemed lightly !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What reciever do you have on the RPK? Left lower rail Ejector may be long. This could cause came problem. PM me, if you have not fixed problem, always glad to help if i can. Paul-Texas
    New World Order Money (AMMO)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Most of the first ak kits imported were milled with screw in barrels, and in those days we rolled our own recievers, those kits had the rear and front sections of the demilled receivers included. The standard procedure was too file down/milled down the sides, drill new holes and riveted or screwed together. I see the galill kits don't come with receiver scraps either you are forced to BUY a reciever, Mill your own receiver maybe use a old milled front end from a ak,
    sprat

Feedback Score

Quote "P.S. I really feel like I have friends with a common interest at this web site and it has for sure been the best research area for me to come too." Unquote

I totally agree too, 1catskinner!
    I hunt, therefore I am..
    -Metallica

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I see the galill kits don't come with receiver scraps either you are forced to BUY a reciever, Mill your own receiver maybe use a old milled front end from a ak,
    sprat

Sprat, Unfortunately the size and thread pitch don't work for that...

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.