Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Redbeard's First Build

Feedback Score

Default Redbeard's First Build

Finally!

After much frustration from shipping problems, my Romy G Kit has arrived.

It is in pretty good shape except for slight rust with no pitting and a really rough finish on the furniture. The rough furniture finish is almost taken care of already. I spent the night and most of the morning lovingly sanding. The Butt Stock is smooth and almost ready for paint. So is the furniture off the Gas Tube.

Last night I also took the receiver parts still stuck to my from and back trunions off. Also ground them smooth to the trunion surface and put a dimple in the rivets to guide the drill bit when I drill them out this weekend.

I love this so far. Just something about crafting something. PRIMAL!

The big handle on the Fore Guard was way to big for me. So I am reshaping it by hand. Making it a little more comfortable for my hand.

Pictures:

The kit
    The front untouched
    The front ground
    The front apart
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

MMAI -Modern Martial Arts Initiative

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." --Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

looking good so far

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Now for the fun part barrel pin and rear trunnion rivets. Hope you got an easy one!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hot Damn! looks like you're well on your way. I'll bet we hear from you soon in the BIY forum.
    AKA Mohawk

Feedback Score

Talking

WOW! I have towels and pliers just like that! lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You are off to a great start. Brings back very fond memories. Also makes me want to get yet another kit!
    Romy G Start:

Somewhere in the middle:

Finished:

Yo, what up my Ninja! gmanindahood's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Lookin' good so far Robert. If you think you love it now, just wait until you fire it. Nothing like the feeling of actually shooting something that you built with your own hands (you might as well order your second & third kits now!). What type of finish are you going to put on the wood furniture? The reason I ask is because another member told me about using RIT clothing dye as a stain (I used scarlet red) & then putting a clear coat on top. I did it and it came out incredible looking. Just a thought. Good luck with the rest of the build.
    It takes a nation of millions to hold us all back!

Feedback Score

I am doing some wood burning on the furniture. I was thinking of just painting it though. Or just staining it. Still thinking on it.

BUt I am doing the wood burning under whatever I do. So I have texture. Like checkering on the back strap. A little primitive but I did it to my sword and it works great for the grip.
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." --Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score

Here is some recent work I have done.

Reshape of the foregrip.
    Checkering on backstrap of foregrip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Choose Your Weapon
    Choose Your Ground
    Face Them When They Come

Yo, what up my Ninja! gmanindahood's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Like the fact that you are reshaping the foregrip. They are kinda big. Definitely like the checkering on the backstrap, great idea that looks good too. It's also nice when something is done to these rifles that is outside the norm. I like the original "traditional" looking builds but love when something is done outside the box regardless of how large or how small. If you get a chance check out the pics of my first build with my "hammered copper bling finish" that I applied to my AK. They're in the Gallery section here. You might find the finish scary but it's my personal touch and I like it. As for the RIT dye finish, if you get a chance another member here built a couple really nice, really small, AK pistols that I think are truly incredible and he was the person that I saw who used this type of wood stain. Whatever you choose to do, keep up the good work and please post pics of your build; can't wait to see the finished rifle.
    It takes a nation of millions to hold us all back!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.