Gunco Forums banner

9mm ak

27K views 122 replies 47 participants last post by  Housertl 
#1 ·
9mm with a modifyed 35round ppsh 41 mag.

See less See more
#55 ·
petro116 said:
And how about the 7.62x25 TOK conversion?
Thanks
on the first 7.62x25 i did'nt move the ejector tip at all, however i just finished one for my son to shoot and i moved the tip .563 inches.it throughs the casing about ten feet further then the first one and i did'nt have to remove any material from the face of the charging handle.so go figure.you can see in the picture that i made the tip plenty long in case i had to move it back.

#63 ·
konstan@Yahoo.com said:
Where did that mag well come from? a ppsh kit?
i did use the magwell from a pps43 kit on the 7.62x25 build.the price of the pps43 kits almost doubled overnite,so on the 9mm project i built my own magwell.buy a piece of 1x13/4x.063 4130 rectangle tubing.the 43 or 41 mags fit in it perfect and the magwell fits in the reciever opening without any trimming.i bought the tubing at AIRCRAFT SPRUCE.it runs about $12.00 a foot.that will do about five magwells.

#64 ·
azhonkey,

ive been admiring your AK set ups on several different sites. they are awesome.

really like your quick change barrel for 9mm and 7.62x25. very sharp.

any chance you wanna sell a set up for a 7.62x25 conversion???

#65 ·
.010 is alot for headspace. maybe .001-.002. AZ can you point me to the thread on the x25 conversion? I have the magwell and a donor barrel.

#66 ·
azhonkey said:
i did use the magwell from a pps43 kit on the 7.62x25 build.the price of the pps43 kits almost doubled overnite,so on the 9mm project i built my own magwell.buy a piece of 1x13/4x.063 4130 rectangle tubing.the 43 or 41 mags fit in it perfect and the magwell fits in the reciever opening without any trimming.i bought the tubing at AIRCRAFT SPRUCE.it runs about $12.00 a foot.that will do about five magwells.
Bookmarking this thread as one of my main resources for a 9mm or 7.62Tok build... Can't decide which one, might have to do both!!

#70 ·
man thats a shame.... as i just dont have the skill level or tools for that conversion....

but anyone here can tell you my cash is good. :)

#71 ·
ok now i wanna build one!

i ot a bunch of questions and some specifics

1) how much difference is there between the 9mm and 7.62x25 convertion? is either easier? more reliable?

2) how did ou move the ejector tip and is it nessesarry?

3)what mods are dont to the bolt face itself? sleeve it or will the rounds work with it as is? i looked at my 99m ammo and 762x39 bolt face and 9mm is a smaller base.

4)is there any other mags/ and or magwells that will work fairly easy?

5)are there any adjustments that need to be made for th diffence in recoil? or does it just use the orriginal spring and rod like regular ak do?

6) since the roll and lock funtion is removed from the bolt by tig welding it ti carrier, how do you set and check headspace?

7) how did you atatch the metal peice to the trunnion? tig? and what kind of metal is it? heat treated, toolsteel? is there one for the other side? or is it not nessesary

8)what would be the easiest barrel to use? assuming 9mm, do the barrels come chambered or do you have to chamber it your self? on 9mm is a chamber reamer nessesary or would a regular reamer in the right size be ok? only reason i ask is that its a straight shell so the hole is straight w/ no necking. i may have a reamer that would work already.

9) where to get the barrel? pistol size?

10) instead of adding to the feed lips(looks like you tigged it) couldnt you just move the well forward or trunnion back?\

sorry so many questions but thias is a very inspirational mod, id really like to try it/

#72 ·
amdhotprocessor said:
ok now i wanna build one!

i ot a bunch of questions and some specifics

1) how much difference is there between the 9mm and 7.62x25 convertion? is either easier? more reliable?
less lathe work with the 7.62x25.

2) how did ou move the ejector tip and is it nessesarry?
cut the old one off tiged on a new piece and reshape.it does make a differance.

3)what mods are dont to the bolt face itself? sleeve it or will the rounds work with it as is? i looked at my 99m ammo and 762x39 bolt face and 9mm is a smaller base.
you have to sleeve it

4)is there any other mags/ and or magwells that will work fairly easy?
pps43 magwell or make your own,pps43,ppsh41 mags work great.

5)are there any adjustments that need to be made for th diffence in recoil? or does it just use the orriginal spring and rod like regular ak do?
original recoil spring works,might have to shorten.

6) since the roll and lock funtion is removed from the bolt by tig welding it ti carrier, how do you set and check headspace?
igo over that in the thread,can't remember if its in the 9mm or 7.62x25 thread.

7) how did you atatch the metal peice to the trunnion? tig? and what kind of metal is it? heat treated, toolsteel? is there one for the other side? or is it not nessesary
i tiged a piece of tool steel to the trunion,left side only.

8)what would be the easiest barrel to use? assuming 9mm, do the barrels come chambered or do you have to chamber it your self? on 9mm is a chamber reamer nessesary or would a regular reamer in the right size be ok? only reason i ask is that its a straight shell so the hole is straight w/ no necking. i may have a reamer that would work already.
i bought a couple of uzi barrel blanks and machined them and used a 9x19 chamber reamer.

9) where to get the barrel? pistol size?
9mm soumi barrel would work for a pistol,or a pps43 barrel for 7.62x25.

10) instead of adding to the feed lips(looks like you tigged it) couldnt you just move the well forward or trunnion back?\
the front trunion has to be machined out so the magwell will fit in the trunion.there about as close together as you can get them.if you push the barrel further in the trunion it just creates more problems,the mag lips seemed to be the best way to go.

sorry so many questions but thias is a very inspirational mod, id really like to try it/
good luck on your build,if you need any more pictures just let me know.

#73 ·
ashonkey is a master if you go look at his builds!!! im so impressed and jealous of his skill level.

that x25 of his is just a masterpiece!!!

#74 ·
so if i use a uzi barrel or whatever already chambered, i dont need to rechamber the barrel? that would make things cheaper. im broke.

#75 ·
amdhotprocessor said:
so if i use a uzi barrel or whatever already chambered, i dont need to rechamber the barrel?
That is correct.
If anything (I'm only talking the chamber end) that needs to be done, is a little notch for the extractor to set into.

#76 ·
dutigaf said:
ashonkey is a master if you go look at his builds!!! im so impressed and jealous of his skill level.

that x25 of his is just a masterpiece!!!

Agreed. Now if we can get azhonkey to post pics and instructions (either in this thread or a new one) of his AK with the quick change barrels (it has 2 barrels - 2 different calibers)...

let's see here are a couple of azhonkey's pics of what I'm referring to to get it started. :D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.