New Member Doing AMD-65 build

Thread: New Member Doing AMD-65 build

Feedback Score

Default New Member Doing AMD-65 build

Hi guys, as you can tell from my postmeter I'm a newbie. I've had my SKS since I turned 16 and it lead to an interest in AK's. I purchased a Romak 991 5 years ago and have put a couple of cases of ammo through it.

I love tinkering with stuff in the garage and really would like to have a higher capacity AK to tinker with. I have a MIG and a nice torch set and must hand tools. Dremels, drills and a well suited garage.

Yesterday I purchased a laser cut flat and rails and an AMD-65 parts kit. I know I need to get some other us parts to finish the build. I have done some research on the screw type builds and am seriously considering it.

questions:
    1. How do I locate the front and rear trunions in the reciever once bent and welded together? is it as simple as putting them in flush with the ends of the reciever which is 10 1/4" long?

2. Is heat treating with a torch in my garage going to do the trick on the reciever?

3. How long did your first builds take some of you guys?

I'm sure I'll have a million more after this but it atleast will get me a little more confident to have answers to these.

Thanks, looks like you guys have a great forum here. Hope to hear back soon.

Jimbo

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Jimbo, Welcome to the forum.

There are two schools of thought on locating the front trunnion, I have used both, and both work.

A) use your forearm to locate the trunnion, make sure the front of the receiver measures 1.200 in height. temporarily bolt in the selector stop and trigger guard and check mag fit.

B) Rivet in the SS and TG then use a mag to the locate front trunnion. Then check forearm fit.

The whole trick is to get the correct spacing between the trunnion and the mag catch.

As far as the rear goes, thats easy, once you have the front located correctly, use the top cover to locate the rear.

You didn't mention what type of torch set you have but I'm assuming it's Oxy/Acetylene they will work fine for heat treating your ejector and axis pin holes.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the information. Is there anywhere on the net where I can find prints that might identify the parts you mentioned? I'm sure I could figure it out fairly well but it sure would help to have a positive ID and some way to visualize like an exploded view.

I'm going to guess that Screw is a bad word over here, what tools do I need to rivet?

Thanks for the welcome

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Here is a link to a tutorial I put together for Ace arms, although it was made primarily as a guide to building from a blank, it may be helpful.

http://www.acearms.com/tutorials/blank_build.shtml

Also check out our library, it is full of great build info, including how to make a rivet squeezer from a pair of bolt cutters.
    Be sure to also check out Toten Kopf's how to guides.

Gunco Slightly Irregular cammobunker's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by racinrex

I'm going to guess that Screw is a bad word over here, what tools do I need to rivet?
    First, to Gunco!
    Second, lots of folks here do screw builds and there really isn't a "wrong" way as far as rivet vs screws. At least not here. Lots of first builds are screws, some folks eventually move on to rivets, but some simply stay with screws. I suspect some of the folks here moved to rivets simply for the challenge-it is somewhat more involved.
    Hey, when a site has plans for a bending jig that uses some scrap flatbar, scrap square tubing, a vise, a block of wood and a big hammer to bend a flat (successfully! Many times!) there really isn't going to be a lot of snobbishness.
    The beauty of building AK's......it doesn't require $1000 worth of tools. Try to build a FAL or G3 and you'll see what I mean.
    "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!"
    -Ash, Army of Darkness
    "There are two kinds of people in this world, Tuco.
    Those with loaded guns,
    and those who dig. You dig."
    -Blondie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Feedback Score

Screws builds are just as challenging in my opinion. It just involves more tools for a rivit build. I enjoyed doing the screw builds but now I want just a bit more of the challenge and the look of the rivits on the weapon. Either build you do, we are here to help ya.

Feedback Score

thanks a bunch guys. I might even weld if thats an acceptable method. I've got a nice little MIG welder and love to find new uses for it. I'll be able to actually start asking more pointed question as I should have some parts in hand by the end of the week.

I see that another forum on this site that may be better for asking questions as this one seems to be geared more towards sharing pictures and updates on current projects. I'll post pictures as I go... I like pictures in other peoples posts so I'll try to throw some graphics your way.

Thanks again for the warm welcome folks!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Now that my site's back up, ya might want to poke around there. I've compiled a great deal of info precisely to answer some of your questions, and hopefully clear the fog a bit...

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...nstruction.htm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Hey Pook,

Glad to hear you're back up and running.

Racinrex,

Be sure to check out Pookie's site, it's full of good info.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.