Gunco Forums banner

belt feed ak-47

130K views 770 replies 90 participants last post by  Warwickben 
#1 ·
I just recentlly finished a beltfeed ak-47 base fire arm with a scratch built receiver, a MG-3 top cover/belt feed mechanism, FAL fcg, scratch built stock, grip frame & grips and forearm, k98 rear sight and m60 return spring. You can see photos of it on PHOTOBUCKET, search for 300 WSM FAL or SHARPSSHOOTER5090.

#255 ·
the UK59 has a lever feed system that is real simple also.
That's the Czech Gun quoted as being the concept the Isreali's took from
You guys are exactly right. The Negev feed system is almost an exact copy of the Czech VZ59/UK59 with a short feed lever acting on the near side of the bolt carrier. They just reversed it for LHF and flipped the retainer pawl from the feed tray to the top cover. I am in the middle of building a UK59 right now and can take pics of the feed mechanism. I will just have to figure out how to post them.

#256 ·
Anybody know what the dimensions of the TAPCO FAL "SAW" style butstock are? I got my steel today and plan on getting going soon and would like to build my bolt block for the rear to accept this "SAW" style stock but I am not a FAL guy and have no idea what the dimensions are or how it attaches. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I order $60 piece of plastic I can't use.
Sincerely,
Matt

#257 ·
dont get one I used to have a G1 rifle with one. I hated it. Get a wood stock and save your money

#258 ·
UPDATE

Metal is ordered and I'm waiting for a total with shipping on the MG1/3 parts so I can send payment. I have both 1/16" and 1/18" coming, so I can see which one I want to use. If the 1/8" needs milled so the parts fit, it will be an easy decision (no mill here).

What are the buttstock options? I like CNTrailrider's (have no idea what it is) but maybe there's something else that will be slicker. A folding stock would be nice to keep the length down for transport and hasn't been done........just an idea.

I'll get my Romy G kit stripped soon and will be ready for pics when everything shows up.

Craig

#259 ·
Like ctlaw74 I was looking at the SAW stock also. Maybe someone will know the measurements.

#260 ·
Ok got my drums, links, feed tray and top cover, gotta look at the pics again as the top cover is WAY wider than the steel. Boy that feed mechanism is a freaking mechanical nightmare....

MP43 if you need milling PM me just cover the shipping both ways if you need simple stuff.

#262 ·
doubletapme said:
You guys are exactly right. The Negev feed system is almost an exact copy of the Czech VZ59/UK59 with a short feed lever acting on the near side of the bolt carrier. They just reversed it for LHF and flipped the retainer pawl from the feed tray to the top cover. I am in the middle of building a UK59 right now and can take pics of the feed mechanism. I will just have to figure out how to post them.
Hey doubletapme...i just posted mine to http://www.photobucket.com/ then just copy image code it provides and paste in your message here...too easy. Would love to see more of your work :) I should note that the Negev diagrams i posted are straight from the Patients (resized to fit here though) and when i printed them off i put a IMI 5.56mm Cartridge on the bolt recess and its almost exact size :brows: Makes it pretty easy to get dimensions :) Also...sure post pics of your UK59 Feed...more gun pron :thumbup1:

Pookie
I take it you meant the Daewoo K3 Minimi knockoff? Got to thinking you did say South Korean/Tiawan and i immediately thought Singapore's Ultimax 100, sorry bout dat. The Feed Mechanism of the K3 would thus be a cheaper $ M249 Minimi clone if anyone can find one for a 5.56 version of the MG47.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Daewoo_K3_machine_gun_1.jpg

Basically all ideas are cool here...i love guns too much too like just one :) But in every harem their are favorites :brows:

Pirate
You ever get your Negev parts kit i want front row seats to your conversion...shouldn't be too hard as the negev is already select fire and by what i gather functions much like what the fellas here are building...but with full auto capability.

vz58 said:
Ok got my drums, links, feed tray and top cover, gotta look at the pics again as the top cover is WAY wider than the steel. Boy that feed mechanism is a freaking mechanical nightmare....
Hey vz58...actually its not too bad once you play with it a bit...looks complicated at first but its actually pretty simple and FN made their version even simpler...basically the "West" all uses some form of the MG42 Feed Tray and Trigger Mech, so its good to know...i use to tear down our C6's (MAG58) and C9 (Minimi) to parts, pins and springs just for fun :) The "East" appears to favor feed levers, even simpler and more adaptable to the home gunsmith's wildest MG fantasies :)

#263 · (Edited)
Thanks VZ58, I appreciate that. Steve thought it would be better to use 1/8" thick so maybe we should go for it. And I'll have to look at the pics again because I didn't notice the top cover being wider but now that I think about it, it probably is a bit bigger than 1 1/2".

You implying the Germans would overcomplicate something? LOL

G3 stock......alrighty. Thanks!

Craig

EDIT - Tubing size is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. I was talking about wall thickness when I said 1/8".

#264 ·
I have been thinking of milling the sides of the top cover and narrowing it through most of the length.
The left side can be cut back about .302" the right about the same. I will prob use a .25" endmill and cut it and then reweld. the gap then will be significantly smaller.

#265 ·
the first guy to do a full build with an ak flat is going to be a freaking GOD and we all will be bowing down to him

#266 ·
Pirate
You ever get your Negev parts kit i want front row seats to your conversion...shouldn't be too hard as the negev is already select fire and by what i gather functions much like what the fellas here are building...but with full auto capability.

building it is a lot easier than coming up with the $4,000.00 to buy the kit!!

#268 ·
I just received my brand new in box MG-1 top cover and feedtray....that thing is cool! Got a couple belts with it too. Now I need to scare up some parts (barrel, trunion, bolt and carrier). Anybody have parts to offer for sale?

I am thinking about something like this for the butt stock:

This original is kinda pricey, I might try to reproduce it,
for a bit of a PKM clone.

#270 ·
Does CFS still have the Yugo RPK barrels, don't see them on their site?
What about the front sight, gas block and rear sight block? I thought the Yugo RPK's had larger holes (to slip on barrel) then a standard or even Yugo AK?

#271 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of a scratch built FALin 300WSM i built from a receiver from a Centry casting using a winchester model 100 3 locking lug bolt head and a heavy SS 26" target barrel. scratch built floating handguard and muzzle brake. http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x197/SHARPSSHOOTER5090/P1010001.jpg I can send you the SAW 249 buttstock dimensions in a few days.

SS

#272 ·
coils it does use larger/different gas block and front sight. I was planning on milling my own, but they do pop up cheap on classifieds every now and then.

I will try to find the link for the bbl.

here ya go
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1520
I paid the extra $15 for frosted but mine is still dark, but in light of the nice rifling and small pull mark I'll keep it.

#276 ·
spot welding the ejector isnt a big deal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.