Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Thread: belt feed ak-47

Feedback Score

Main reason I used 1/16 on the bottom was the RAILS - it's already the right thickness for the BC to slide on. Also easier cutting the cocking slot, ejection port & FCG holes without a mill. I used a cutting wheel, dremmel & files

It did warp when joined, and twisted that out when I removed the TOP of the rear (TC latch area) then went back over my less-than-perfect joining-welds and filled in the pits. Some very small pits are still visible if you look closely. The reinforcement rails remedied strength concerns, center the TC skirts firmly (full length) and close that gap

SS's didn't need R-rails, using all 1/8", but both of his UPPER rails are full-length too. My ejector rail is a standard short one that came with a flat

1/8" on top gives a stronger anchor for the TC hinge and latch area. It's still theory at this point, but I believe 1/16 throughout would need R-rails for sure

Steve

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I managed to get my mill repaired and adjusted and had 30 minutes free. I am the proud papa of a trunnioned 1/16" box.... it has begun.....

should I narrow the feed lug as opposed to opening the feed tray slot?
    Last edited by vz58; 02-10-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Feedback Score

Taper the stripping lug - it needs to fit through the links - and open the slot almost to where the round will fall through. Round is suspended by the belt, positioned & guided by the pressure plate.

We welcomed another 'new arrival' in my house today too, at 8:23 PM MST

It's a boy.

He looks alot like his pappy - only smaller

I can already tell he's gonna be a real pistol

You can bet the mid-wife had her hands full

....her assistance is always invaluable

Steve

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Steve, is the second picture a photo of your "mill"? If so, I have a mill and didn't even know it!!! yee haw!

Craig

Feedback Score

Default I know that machine well!!!!

Steve is using the same type machine I started with, 40+ years ago. The "ARMSTRONG" apprentice model. The most versitile and oldest milling system there is!!!

I have to ask. What kind of feed cover and tray is that. Doesn't look like MG1/42???

And to all on the board here, especially this thread, please accept my apologies in advance, for all the dumb questions I will ask in future. My experience with the AK is pretty much nil, but I cannot resist this absolutely killer "Beltfed" conversion SS has come up with. So, I have enough parts/components to start a small arsenal coming in to play with.

Thank You,
    Emory Jones

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I believe that is an RPD cover and tray.

I am fitting the feed tray and it appears that feeding will be much easier if I mount the tray about .5-.75" further back than the pics seem to display. On the pics it appears the pivot for the cover sits above the rivet for the frred ramp. Is there something I am missing on why the tray is so far forward?

Feedback Score

VZ58

The shortest simpliest path to the chamber, like a pistol-caliber conversion, increases the 'likelihood' the round will chamber. To say this is 'experimental' would be an understatement, since using a .308 feed tray already increased that distance of cartridge travel. The MG1/3 TC will not feed 7.62x39 without a few mods to the (brittle ! hardened) pressure plate as well, since the round is weaker, and a 'slicker feed path' must be created, in order to cycle. Front lip must be bobbed to clear the trunnion; rear 'lip guide' must be almost straight to reduce feed resistance, even w/o the spring. These two mods are inter-related. The cartridge stop on the feed tray must be lowered (as well shortening the 'arc stop' on the pressure plate) so the pressure plate can swing lower, to guide the smaller rd, yet not too low that it blocks the next rd-to-be-fed. It is work & thought intensive to accomplish, and I don't know a set formula that works.

Not to dim anyone's hopes, but this is by no means a simple 1st or even 5th AK project. It was a very steep learning curve, after building several other beltfeds - borrowing knowledge from every build I've ever done. I know Emory is a slightly different catagory of builder, and an exception (bonified 1919 CII guru)

Mentally approach it as a conveyor-fed mag. The rest is a scratch-built-rcvr AK. or as Doubletapme put it, "A beltfed using some AK parts"

2nd pic, post 91 is the starting point; 4th pic shows position of feed tray, where chambering was accomplished

Steve

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks! Got my bolt and carrier today but they are way too nice to use..
    Got rails in, trunnion position worked out and the ejector in. Need to decide which carrier to cut up.

Feedback Score

Sounds like the dust's been flying - post some pics!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I noticed a RPD top cover and feed tray for sale on GunBroker for $130. It looks like it is in good condition and would work great for a project like you are doing here. Keep up the good work guys. I am an avid fan of this thread.

Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 belt fed

ak 47 belt feed conversion

ak 47 feeding schedule
ak belt feed conversion

belt fed ak

belt fed ak 47

belt fed ak 47 conversion

belt fed ak47

convert your ak to belt feed

rpd push feed
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.