Gunco Forums banner

belt feed ak-47

130K views 770 replies 90 participants last post by  Warwickben 
#1 ·
I just recentlly finished a beltfeed ak-47 base fire arm with a scratch built receiver, a MG-3 top cover/belt feed mechanism, FAL fcg, scratch built stock, grip frame & grips and forearm, k98 rear sight and m60 return spring. You can see photos of it on PHOTOBUCKET, search for 300 WSM FAL or SHARPSSHOOTER5090.

#77 ·
Made a 50 round drum magazine that mounts on the feed tray. The SAW 50 round pouch that I had mounted under the ejection port sometimes interfers with th ejected cases. Now there is a clear unobstructed path out of the ejection port for the fired cases to egress. The drum magazine is well above the path of the ejected case. Will post pictures as soon as I get the magazine painted.

#79 ·
MG47 Buffer

With out the buffer the bolt carrier slaps the back of the receiver (butt stock assembly) very hard. If the M60 spring was longer, it would probably act as a buffer. I cut if off when I was having trouble with the bolt carrier getting full stroke. The problem was a gas leak at the gas tube to gas block joint. With the leak stopped, I get too much pressure and I need to install a gas regulator to cut the gas pressure down so the bolt carrier just stops at the rear most travel. With that, a buffer would not be necessary.

#83 ·
Look at Photobucket.com and search under "SHARPSSHOOTER5090". Click the yellow box where it says view all images for SHARPSSHOOTER5090. There are 2 videos in .MOV format. They can be viewed with Quicktime player. There is also some still images of various stages of construction. It works great now. Steve, in El Paso, even came to Utah to see it and went home and built one himself. It is really an easy build once I got the bugs worked out.
As soon as the weather gets better here, I plan to go out to the desert and make a video of field stripping it, put it back together, loading a belt into a drum magazine I made and firing off a full belt of 50 rounds.

#84 ·
Just finished mine and will attempt to post some pics

MG3 topcover MG1 tray, MG42 gripstick with AR FCG (tight fit!) G3 stock, inspired by Sharpshooter. Sleeved a Chinese barrel to save pennies but won't to that again. Lathe MIG grinder/dremmel (no mill) and determination; about $300 into it. I'm hoping ejected casings will clear the RPD drum. Still need to devise a 'safe' in the gripstick. It weighs 13 lbs 14 oz w/o the drum

Thanks Sharpshooter :thumbup1: This is my favorite build, no doubt

Steve in EL Paso

#85 ·
:thumbup1: Double:thumbup1:

Looks Factory! Now lets see some pics of the bolt/carrier.

#86 ·
Man that looks great, you guys got it figured out. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Now one of you put together a simple tutorial with good pics, I think I'd like to try one of these frankenstien belt feds but I'm still scratching my head on some of the stuff, I'm simple and some directions need to have images so I can understand them. :D

Again, nice builds guys.

#87 ·
If I could locate a good deal on a M72 RPK front section (barrel, gas system,tube, pistion, handguard mount, rear sight, bolt and bolt carrier, etc Complete front end, I got a buldged trunnion, I would build another one with drawings and pictures using the best of all three builds.
I have 2 mg53 kits, one I want to put together, the other ??? I also have parts to build a belt feed FAL I want to do. So little time so much to do!!!

Sharpsshooter5090

#88 ·
Cold-rolled BC extension, 5/16" cap screw feed stud, epoxy to fit the stock, non-reciprocating MG42 cocking-handle fixed to a plate, with a 'step' up front to engage BC

Bolt stripping lug tapered slightly, standard piston but ultra-tight gas tube (light mallet-fit) gas port .191 (hitting milk jugs @ 150 yrds consistently) chrome-lined Chinese barrel. Front sight post protrudes 1/8" above the ears for correct elevation using the HK drum sight

Steve

#90 ·
I must say, you guys have absolutely blown home builds out of the water!!!

*** best Wayne's World "I'm not worthy" pose ***

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!
I'M NOT WORTHY!!!
I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

:D

Seriously, we need to have a complete step-by-step and some detailed pics of the internals. I absolutely want to add one of these to my collection!!!!!

Can I add these pics to my website?

#91 · (Edited)
Coils -
You can order parts reasonably priced from http://www.robertrtg.com/mg.html
Topcover/feed tray combo for $85, empty gripstick for $12
http://www.robertrtg.com/mg1topcover.html
Robert is the best to deal with. Also sells DM1 links/belts & starter tabs as cheap as anywhere. I believe there's about to be a rush on them. When I ordered an MG1 combo, it was the first time he was ever out of them (they couldn't figure out why) so I settled on an MG3 TC to get started

Pookie -
Hearing that from you is gratifying. I have been an admirer of your builds (esp your .308 bullpup) for several years. Feel free to use any pics I've posted

The BC slides freely and it's headspaced. 4130 Gas tube was too long - port too close to the muzzle (would only eject w/o with the recoil spring) Shortened it to standard size; has a TIGHT SEAL (mallet-tapped) with the GB. Sleeved a chromed-lined Chinese barrel to an oddball trunnion; used a misc rear sight block which had no sight leaf. Perfect candidates for as cheap as I am

I mimicked a pressure plate with my fingers, and pushed the BC to chamber the cartridge. Had already seen Sharpshooter's vids, and now was convinced I could build this. Did it for a couple hours - amazed that it was this simple. TRIM YOUR TRUNNION CONSERVATIVELY

1/16" wall on the bottom, 1/8" wall on top. When complete, there wasn't much 'top' left. Above post shows reinforcing rails made from 1/2" ange iron, file-fit to center the TC 'skirts' firmly.

Starting to take shape

First attempt (of 3) building an "L" BC extension - too heavy to cycle, hardly enough hammer clearance. Seperated the RS guide, and later made a cocking handle 'plate' (above, in earlier post) for the handle, with a 'step' that engages the front of the BC when cocking. It's non-reciprocating, like a G3

:thumbup1: Top Honors go to Sharpshooter :thumbup1: for turning a wild thought into reality - I can't imagine how much effort went into making this design work. I just copied his. First saw it 11-09-07 and had to have one. Thanksgiving trip was already planned, to visit an AK-builder friend in UT for a parkerizing party & commaraderie. so now a visit with Sharpshooter was on the agenda. Took a bottle of Crown along (to bribe him) and my half-done rcvr. I would consider this "THE BUILD DESIGN of 2007"

I'm thinking about a 9" BF pistol. It can be done (just received some RPD TC/FT assy's) The practicality factor alone is reason enough to build one

Steve in El Paso

#93 ·
Holy Crap! I wasn't expecting that cntrailrider :thumbup1:

That's one cool sharp looking "Frankgun". Sharpshooter has spawned a magnificant 2nd build for sure. Looking forward
to seeing Sharpshooter's tut and diagrams on a sorted gun,
this is simply an amazing concept. GREAT JOB GREAT IDEA!

As Britney would say "gimme more" :woot:

This ranks a :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

#95 ·
$400 for a 80 % receiver of this in 5.45 !!! (ie i'll pay that!)

#96 ·
SNAKEBYTE said:
You are my new hero :) Could you do a "dumbed down" run thru for us less creative/mg edgimicated? I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Jeff
LOL I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that had to ask that. :D
I read this a few times and I'm still a little confused, I got a better idea with those last pics though.

#97 · (Edited)
As soon as mama lets me buy another ak kit, I'll make a tutorial with pictures and circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what it's all about to be use in a court of law against me, Oh wait, that's a line from "ALICE'S RESTAURANT". Dis-reguard that last statment. I will make a tutorial of a simpler build using my ideas, Cntrailrider's and one other build that I know is been done. I will shelve my RPK based build and go for the cheaper "Romey" kit build for now.

Sharpsshooter5090 (2 "s" and "5090" for one who shoots an original Sharps in .50-90 cartridge) just plain old "Sharpshooter" is OK though.

#98 ·
You know I didn't even realize it was "Sharps Shooter" until you pointed that out LOL I'm making an AK in 45-70 and looked at the Sharp's repros. Those are really nice. Also, for the same money, you can buy an authentic British Sharps from IMA-USA that is over 100 years old.

Tell your "mama" what I tell mine:

Hold your hand out to her, palm down. Rotate your palm upwards. Then ask her, "pick a side - bruise? or no bruise?" then buy what you want.

Works for me! The wifey-pooh is docile and submissve.

PS Please don't show her this thread or I will die a painful death! :rofl:

#99 ·
Outstanding builds guys! I have to give a big thanks to SHARPSSHOOTER for coming up with this design and to Steve(cntrailrider) for bringing it to my attention and motivating me to build one of my own. I used a lot of spare parts I had around and made some and ended up with likely "the most bang for the buck" I ever built. I'm not sure how to post pics but maybe Steve will post some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.