Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: belt feed ak-47

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hey SS I had a thought - I remember someone, and I think it was Kevin_M4, who had a loose gas block on their Saiga conversion, and silver soldered it onto the barrel. That may be a quick-and-dirty way to help your loose gas block issue.

The fact that it bleeds gas around the port will definitely cause lower barrel velocity, obviously resulting in less energy to cycle the weapon.

Another thought, and I learned this from my MG42 build, and that is to degrease everything, use a sharpie or two and cover all the moving parts in black, and cycle the action by hand. The chafe marks are where rubbing is taking place, and in theory there should be very few places that rub. I found several areas that rub using this method. The areas were small, and I ignored them until I polished them one by one, and the net effect was a smoother action.

Hopefully this helps out. The piston size should still be considered as a to-do item, but if you do these things first it may not matter.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Leaking gas block

Hcpookie,
    The gas leak I had was between the gas block and the gas tube not between the gas block and barrel. That is still a press fit and gas tight. Last week end I bored out the end of my gas tube and soldered in a brass bushing. I machined out the I.D. of the bushing to be a zero clearace to the gas block nose. I now requires a few taps from a hammer to get the gas tube in place. That should stop the gas leak there. Ther other thing I did was remove the L1A1 flash hider and built a Krinkov style booster/gas accumulator to hold the gas pressure up a little longer. I also bought a yugo rpk barrel which is about 4" longer that the standard AK barrel and am going to install that along with the Krinkov booster/flashhider cone. Hopefully I can try it this week and will post the results.
    I may need to install a roller on the hammer cocking hump on the bolt carrier as there is some resistance when the hammer is pushed to the re-cocking position as the bolt carrier rides over the hammer.

Thanks for the advice. Any advice is welcome.

Sharpsshooter5090

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Belt feed ak-47 update

I just received a Yugo RPK barrel and gas block that I might put on my beltfeed. This barrel is 21 inches v.s. 16 inches of the standard Romey Ak-47 barrel. Hopefully the longer barrel will keep the gas pressure up enough to reliabally cycle the bolt carrier all the way back every time. I built and installed a Krikov style booster and tightened up the joint between the gas block and gas tube but have not had a chance to try it. I took it to the range to test but somebody was shooting a 50 BMG with API bullets and caught the dry grass at the range on fire and they closed it before I had a chance to try the modifications. Since then I also installed a roller on the bolt carrier to so the hammer rolls over it to cock instead for sliding on steel to steel. Back to the range to try it as soon as I get a chance. I hope I don't have to put on the RPK barrel as it means that it will esentially will not be a belt feed Ak-47 but a home made RPK. That's OK but I started the project out to see if a beltfeed could be made based on cheap AK-47 parts. (Although the fat RPK barrel will look a lot better than the skinny AK-47 barrel.)

I will post the results as soon as I get some.

Sharpsshooter5090
    Last edited by SHARPSSHOOTER5090; 08-29-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sounds cool! If only you had a quick-change ability, that would be darn near perfect.

Feedback Score

love to see pics with new mods

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default MG-47 RECENT MODS

I will try to take some pictures of the recent mod's as soon as I get some time. Hope to try them out this week end. My time has been taken by building this long range target/tactical rifle for my son. It has a scratch built 3 locking lug action, a Timeny adjustable trigger, 03A3 firing part, a Bell & Carson butt stock and a scratch built steel stock from the butt stock forward. I have haven't had a chance to build a muzzle brake for it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SHARPSSHOOTER5090; 09-05-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

That's nice

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

My mg-47 beltfeed ak works great now. Tightening up the gas tube to gas block seems to solved the problem. It works with and with out the Krinkov style gas booster. With the booster, the bolt carrier moves back so fast that it started to push the return spring out the back of the butt stock. I made a recoil buffer with a bolt stop that is pinned to the receiver . That should stop that problem. Attach is a short camera phone video is .zip format. I will take more pictures of the details and post them asap.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Glad to hear you got it.

Thank you for the video, it came out good from a phone

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How do I view a .3G2 format video?

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 belt feed conversion

ak belt feed conversion
belt fed ak 47
belt fed ak 47 conversion

convert your ak to belt feed

rpd push feed
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.