Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Thread: belt feed ak-47

Feedback Score

Sgt Ron, you're going to want to READ, READ, and RE-READ this thread LITERALLY ABOUT 50 TIMES before all of the information will sink in... Each time reading it, you'll spot something you might have missed when you first read through it... It's an incredibly beneficial thread!

-inuhbad.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kzguns View Post
    RANGE REPORT!!
    Well went to the range today and here are the problems....
    Gun is short stroking not quite enough to even eject round
    All in all it cycles by hand flawlessly but i want a semi-auto not bolt action

KZ -

I had exactly the same problem on my first MG47 - wouldn't even eject. I kept shortening the recoil spring, eventually to where it would just close the bolt. Each shortening it got better. Then went a bit too far, and had to stack springs until I got another one. Hope you have a few extra springs on hand, before shortening them

Keep us posted - you are sooo close. I am curious to know what your BC weighs

My MG47EC ('El Cheapo in 7.62x25) is 99% there. Shot it yesterday, got several strings then had a new problem with the TC popping up (first time; easy fix). It should have been rotating bolt instead of straight-blowback - didn't need a gas piston assist. Main problems have been the lightweight BC and M11 springs (too weak). I know this is OT but just thought I'd share. More posted on the "Jr" thread

Steve

Feedback Score

cnt my BC is modeled after yours almost exactly. I have my spring set up as adjustable the spring tube has a 3/8 nut welded on the back and i have a spacer in there as well as about 1 inch of adj. +-. at the weakest setting it barely locks up but when locked up and fired it still wont cycle now i didnt remove all spacers ect.. and try that. I will wait for the barrel extention and put the krink booster on there and see what happens it looks like most of you had some type of ext. and or booster on and i only had an amd style break on a std 16" ak barrel.

also i'm using a 1919a4 spring maybe thats the problem and the sprig rate is off i may need to get an m60 spring and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My gas port is at .191.

Feedback Score

My port is also .191 which sounds huge, but it's extremely accurate - more accurate than any other AK I own. It's a Chinese chrome lined barrel (small dia breech)

KZ - I'd recommend your lowest spring-tension setting and see what happens. I don't know why a 1919 RS wouldn't work

Keep us posted - this will get figured out - you didn't come this far for a bolt action beltfed

Steve

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

A second thought was to put o-rings in the piston grooves but i'm not sure they would hold up.
    I doubt they would hold up for long, the main problem I see with using O-rings would be unwanted resistance while cycling.

also i'm using a 1919a4 spring maybe thats the problem and the sprig rate is off i may need to get an m60 spring and see what happens.
    The 1919 spring might be to strong for this, I'm guessing, the .308 & 30-06 round has a lot of umph behind it and the 1919 bolt is fairly heavy which makes me think there's a lot of force pushing it back (a lot more then the 7.62x39 can make)?

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

KZ
    I had a problem with my first MG47 short cycling when the feed cam roller was just a little off to the left side. It would cycle by hand great when you had a hold of the operating lever but would short cycle when firing. The bolt carrier had just enough side play in it to allow it to move sideways and the feed cam would hit the inside of the receiver and bind, causing short cycling. I moved the roller to the right about 1/16" and it cycled fine.
    Check that the side of the feed cam is not contacting the receiver when the bolt carrier is pushed to the left.

Tom H.

SS

Feedback Score

coils most of these guys are using M60 springs which operate a 308.
    ya i pretty much dismissed the o-rings as soon as i wrote it....

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kzguns View Post
    ya i pretty much dismissed the o-rings as soon as i wrote it....
    I wonder if metal piston rings would work. The funnel already present in the opening of the gas block would be perfect for progressively compressing piston rings as the piston enters the gas block bore. The chance of finding off the shelf piston rings for the odd ball ~0.550" diameter is slim, though. AR bolt rings are right around half an inch, so wont work.

For recoil springs, I just found that McMaster-Carr has a decent selection of coil springs in various diameters, spring rates, coils per inch, etc. Most are around $5 each, and so perhaps cheaper than adapting a spring from an existing gun pattern (M60, 1919, etc.).

Feedback Score

My MG3 Rhinemetal just arrived, alongside a Romy parts kit ($200 for a parts kit?!? I didn't spend that much in the week I backpacked through Romania.) Anyway, I've been playing with the MG3 belt feeding "module" (top cover and tray), and it's an impressive example of Teutonic engineering. I'm ready to merge it with Kalashnikov's finest. Maybe I'll call my build the Eastern Front Fusion.

The MG3 parts look to be designed to feed into a chamber located perhaps two inches forward of the front of the tray. The round is fed forward, out the front of the feed tray, at only a slight downward angle. The factory feed tray slot width doesn't let a round pass through at any point; the round is controlled by the pressure plate and feed tray for the entire forward travel of the round. In contrast, all the builds here modify the feed slot width and pressure plate travel to feed at a steep downward angle.

I'm wondering about the tradeoffs of the two feed angles. The original German design seems to feed the round at a very robust, controlled position. The pressure plate and feed tray maintain control of the round, and precisely position it, for a great distance. The modified feeding angle shortens the distance to the chamber, but also seems to lessen how precisely the round is controlled during its travel.

Has anyone tried mounting the feed tray much further to the rear? Was it ever tried as an evolutionary step in the trial and error process of a build?

Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 belt fed

ak 47 belt feed conversion

ak 47 feeding schedule
ak belt feed conversion

belt fed ak

belt fed ak 47

belt fed ak 47 conversion
belt fed ak47
belt feed an ak47
convert your ak to belt feed

negev bolt carrier

rpd push feed
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.