Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 35 Rem project

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default 35 Rem project

Thought this would be the best place to discuss my project. Studying the gas system and picking the best place to tap for gas is the subject for an engineering design project. I've had to do a few more mods to the kit than I previously expected, but so far so good. It's a bit clunky at the moment because I only had aluminum handy for the new parts, so I had to overdesign them. Will probably shave off a bit of it as possible.

Kit is an AMD-65. Barrel is from a Marlin 336. Caliber is 35 Remington.

More details to follow. One thing I ask is if you wish to link to these pics, please only do so among my preferred forums: Gunandgame.com, akfiles.com, graybeardoutdoors.com, saiga-12.com, gunboards.com, and arf.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BattleRifleG3; 03-07-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The third pic down is my AMD pistol build placed atop my 35 cal action and a spare buttstock I have. Still not sure which receiver to use. Still have to figure out a magazine for it since my idea of stretching AR mags had no success.

The visible protruding screws I used to help mount and align stuff and will be later removed.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

would some type of 30-06 mag work? Example being the 10 round mags they sell for the remington 7400, 742, etc. BTW, nice looking project.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd look at FAL or G3 mags. Should be long enough...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You know I'm not sure if this will work with a 7.62x39 action. I think you're going to have to use a Saiga .308 action. Just not sure it will work due to the travel. I don't know what differences there are with a .308 vs. 7.62x39 Saiga's action, but it is something to consider.

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I tried a couple .35 Rems in the Romak 3 mag, and it's not pretty... The 7.62x54R is just too pointy, and it's magazines have a narrowed front because of it. I'll post a couple pics later. I'll try a FAL mag and see how that lines up.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Saiga 308 action is the same length as the 7.62x39mm. Yeah, I know, you'd never believe it till you see it. And I still managed to move the mag well rearward on my Saiga 308.

35 Rem has been done before on an AKM.
    I've been trying my darndest not to use 308 length mags cause my whole idea was to make this an intermediate type gun, not full size. If only the AR-15 mags would flatten on the sides when I stretch them forward they'd work. But I guess you can't win 'em all. Might try flattening them with an anvil before giving up on them completely. Or I might try to attach a forward extension to them. I dunno, will just have to experiment a little. Might even try a plastic extension of a '74 mag I have.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't get it, what's wrong with a 308 mag? Not following your logic about "intermediate" type of gun vs. "full size". I think 35 remington would be considered a "full power" cartridge and not "intermediate" which is typically reserved for cartridges that were deliberately underpowered, like the 7.62x39 or the German WW2 cartridge of the Sturmgewher (sp?) which was a cut-down 7.92mm (aka 8mm) cartridge.

???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

35 Rem is deliberately underpowered to operate in the old Rem model 8 semi-auto rifle. Its pressures are lower than 7.62x39mm and the base is only slightly larger. It's comparable to a 30-30, which I consider an intermediate round. As 308 and 30-06 are in my view the fullpower counterparts to 30-30, the 35 Rem's full power counterparts would be the 358 Win and 35 Whelen.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

A 35 fits nicely in a fal mag and as a plus you can use spire point bullets instead of those roundnose thingies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.