Gunco Forums banner

.308 galil build

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Gunter 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#3 ·
eeeew go full milspec but make it slightly heaver barrel.. SLIGHTLY lol imo.

#4 ·
I have all the hardware to build it up as an ARM, but have been holding off until I hear from Panacaebeachbum on his heavy barrel galil gas block. I am thinking of going this route with it.

The SR99:

or the Glaltz

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/galil2.jpg

#8 ·
pookie that bullpup ALMOST looks like it has a can on the end LOL

I also vote Glaltz

#9 ·
OMG!! amazing stuff!!

the galil and the 308 bullpup!!

it looks like the cetme mags are modified to work w/ the ak mag release??

or did you somehow fit the cetme paddle release in there too? THAT would be da schizznit!!

that full bull bbl has a look to it!!, dont know (if it were me) if id turn it down or go for the "target look", that would definitely be different!!

where'd you get your bbl blank??

#10 ·
I am going to turn it down some to clear the gas cylinder and to fit the gas block. I am thinking the gas block is going to be 1" inside diameter, if that is the case, i will make it 1.2" to the gas block and 1" from the gas block forward. Then I'll make a break in the same style as the galatz (but larger to fit the barrel O.D.

I just aquired a killer piece of AAA walnut for the forend and buttstock today. I think this is going to be cool. I'm pumped on it.

I got the barrel blank on the Midway website. There are some good deals there if you do enough looking and don't mind doing a little work. The thread extension on the galil is the most complex I've had the pleasure of turning. And to boot, metric threading proved to be a bitch. But I got her done and didnt screw it up once.

#11 ·
Well, I never got the heavy barrel gas block, and I got too anxious to get it done, so here it is, all completed and test fired. I present to you boys and girls of Gunco, My completed .308 Galil AR...

#16 ·
now you just gotta feed the thing. I wish I still had all that 308 ammo I shot up 6 years ago I'd be a rich man

#17 ·
Stop it glock, I was basking. Then you had to bring in the reality of things.

Yes ammo is gonna be spendy, but I'm a student at a gunsmithing school. I make fun toys, I don't worry about feeding as much as I make sure their appetite is proper. As long as the guns can eat and digest their food flawlessly, I've done my job. Everything else I get to shoot is a bonus.

When I open up shop, I'll be making money at this, and consequently, I'll be shooting more.

#18 ·
If I only knew then what I know now........... A professional Gunsmith I could be! Nice build! Which/What .308 bolt, receiver, mag, and barrel did you use? You've chosen a good trade! Apply it well and you'll have a satisfying career! I sure miss the old-timer gunsmiths my gramps took me to as a child. I most remember their charm, way of saying it, and personality! That's how I caught onto firearms and ammo!

#19 ·
The .308 parts I used were the ORF receiver barrel threaded at 25mm x 1.5 mm. The bolt I used was the ORF .308 offering, the mag is an IMI 12 rounder (I am converting m14 mags too) and the barrel is an Adams and Bennett .30 cal 1 in 10 twist that I turned down from a cylinder blank.

I am going to be one of those old fart gunsmiths someday. Its a good life.

#25 ·
You guys make me feel good about my career path. I know I enjoy it, but knowing others out there like what I do makes me feel like I can make a living out of it. Thanks again gentlemen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.