Gunco Forums banner

0% AKM wood furniture set

4K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  BattleRifleG3 
#1 ·
Here?s my little project, a 0% wood furniture set for my IO AKM build from a slab of White Ash.

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Wow! Cocobolo for the grip!
Not only am I in awe of your woodworking skills, but that's one nifty pistol grip.

#32 ·

How did you shape your buttstock? Did you have anything more technological than your skill and a rasp?

Wonderful work.

I would like the Russian laminated stock look. I wonder if I could glue two or more pieces of plywood together to get the buttstock blank?

#35 ·
F-Troop said:

How did you shape your buttstock? Did you have anything more technological than your skill and a rasp?

Wonderful work.

I would like the Russian laminated stock look. I wonder if I could glue two or more pieces of plywood together to get the buttstock blank?
Other than the table saw and drill press what you see in the picture is basically what I used. The hand planes made fast work of shaping the stock. A little plane would?ve worked good for the tight spaces but good planes aren?t cheap so I just made do with rasps and files and sandpaper.

The way plywood is make doesn?t really lend itself to stock making.. The layers of wood that make up the plywood are setup so the gain runs at right angles to each other. The filler wood that is used in between the outside layers isn?t of the highest quality so you?ll find knots and voids inside the average plywood.

You could try it but I don?t think you would be very happy with the way it would look. You could try doing a net search for laminated wood stock or maybe contact Ironwood Designs and see if they would sell you a laminated blank or see where they buy their stock from and contact them.

What I learned from my stock making project is in terms of difficulty the easiest piece was the pistol grip followed by the stock than the upper hand guard and the hardest one was the lower hand guard. :headspin:

#38 ·
more, more, more!
I have two chunk o wood drying out in the shop for this type of progect the firs Q is how did you cut the radi of the upper hand guard, I was thinking using a 1.5" round over bit in the router the next Q is was the vice attached to the t slide on the table saw. muttman

#41 ·
muttman said:
more, more, more!
I have two chunk o wood drying out in the shop for this type of progect the firs Q is how did you cut the radi of the upper hand guard, I was thinking using a 1.5" round over bit in the router the next Q is was the vice attached to the t slide on the table saw. muttman
I shaped the upper hand guard using a hand plane, files and sandpaper. Just a matter of taking small equal amounts of wood off on both sides of the hand guard as it was shaped. I had thought of using a router but didn?t have a bit the right size nor do I have a router table.

The vise was just sitting on top of the table saw. I just held the vise back against the t slide. No real need to attach it to the slide as I only took off a very small amounts of wood at a time.

#42 ·
Muttman
I am glad to think others will make a GO of this kind of work!! please please post updates with pics as it comes along ! I would like to see and I know others will. SHOOT maby if I see a couple guys with their own hand made wood parts I may attemtp a grip or something !! I hope your work and posts encourage others to do the same thing.
wraith
thanks for the tips!!

#43 ·
hotbarrel
this progect of mine will take some time, the wood is still green. after triming it you could see the water ouzing out. this one might take a couple of monts. the good news is a co worker has a nice old oak that was cut down last year and should be dry!!!! muttman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.